Mexico’s outdoors provides wonderful opportunities to climb mountains, volcanoes and caves, to sail and kayak the waterways, bays and oceans, to para-sail Mexican skies and to fish the lakes and deep seas.
Climbing Mexican mountains, volcanoes and caves.
- Pico de Orizaba (Citlateptl) 5700m 18,700ft
- Popocatepl 5452m 17,887ft
- Iztaccihuatl 5286m 17,342ft
A Mountaineering Expedition
On Pico de Orizaba, Mexico’s highest volcano (Citlaltepetl in Veracruz)
Exploring caves in Mexico: the speleologist’s new frontier
El Pozo de la Pestilencia, La Cueva de la Villa Luz, Naica caves and Mexico’s other caves and cenotes.
Sailing in Mexican waters
Very informative description of everything a blue water sailor needs to know about Mexican waters, legal requirements and sailing advisories.
Para-sailing in Mexican skies
A Parasail is like a parachute, designed to resemble a wing, enabling the flier to glide and soar along Mexico’s mountain ridges and valley thermals.
Camping & Fishing
- Camping in Mexico
Good information and Checklists for both the novice and experienced Mexico camper
- A Mexican Travel Tool Kit
Vehicle advice from the Sierra Madre Mexchanic
Excellent self-audit before hitting the road. Ideal for Campers and Road Warriors.
- Fishing in Mexico
A Review of the major Coastal fishing areas of Mexico
- Bass Fishing in Mexico
A Review of the incredible Bass fishing in El Saltillo
- Fish Names – English/Spanish
A quick translation of many common fish and shell fish names
Other articles including self-guided tours
- 500 Kilos Of Furia – The Huamantlada of Huamantla, Tlaxcala
- Copper Canyon Crossing: Hiking The Sierra Tarahumara
- Rincon de Guayabitos, Jalisco – the family vacation spot
- An unexpected encounter with several million butterflies
- Chihuahua: On the trail of Pancho Villa, Mormons, Mennonites, waterfalls and turkeys . . .
- Chihuahua City, Pancho Villa and Parral de Hidalgo
- The beautiful Mexican colonial city of San Miguel de Allende
- Oases on the Sea of Cortez
- Cuernavaca’s Spas
- The delightful spa town of Tequisquiapan
- South of Dolores Hidalgo – splitting stones and aching bones
- Guadalajara and the archeological site of Iztépete
- Ghosts of the past revived – the mining towns of San Luis Potosí
- Mazamitla – its scenery, kitchens and customs
- Outside Mazatlan – the real Sierra Madre!
- Mexico’s Copper Canyon – train ride to Heaven!
- Mexcaltitan, Nayarit, island city in the swamp
- Monastic getaway – The Carmelite monks and Tenancingo.
- A self-guided tour of Monte Alban and the Zimatlan Valley
- Murals come to life in the “Florence of Mexico”, Guadalajara
- Monks barefoot in a National Park on the edge of Mexico City…
- Wandering through Nayarit
- A day in Oaxaca – one of the New World’s nicest cities
- Oaxaca: The America’s oldest urban center
- The Oaxaca Valley – a week’s worth of adventures packed into a single day.
- Exploring for Mexican fire opals
- San Blas, Tepic and in between
- Gomez Palacio and Torreón – desert surprises – a suspension Bridge, date palm and modern twin cities.
- Patzcuaro, Michoacan… the soul of the Meseta Purepecha
- The San Marcos Fair in Aguascalientes, and what to do afterwards
- Hats off to Sombrerete in the state of Zacatecas
- South from Zacatecas: a fascinating archaeological site and an undiscovered colonial monument.
- Zacatecas – The City
Galleries – visual touring
- Camping in Mexico
- A mountaineering expedition on Pico de Orizaba (Citlaltepetl)
- Las Huertas adventure paradise
- Loreto, Mulegé and Santa Rosalía: from sun, sand and snorkeling to museums, missions and mountains
- The grutas of Cacahuamilpa (caverns)