This salsa retains the fresh, green taste of tomatillos that have not been boiled. It can be made ahead, except for the avocado, which should be added right before serving. Just about everyone who tastes this, served as a dip with totopos (corn chips), asks for the recipe.
- 12 tomatillos, husks peeled
- 1 small white onion, peeled and cut in half
- 6 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2-3 serrano chiles, stemmed
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- lime juice to taste
- salt to taste
Roast the tomatillos, onion, garlic and chiles on a comal or griddle until lightly charred. Peel the garlic. Roughly chop the tomatillo and onion. Place these ingredients in a blender with just enough water to move the blades. Blend to a coarse puree.
Add the avocado and cilantro and pulse briefly. Season to taste with lime juice and salt. Makes 2 cups.
Published or Updated on: April 30, 2007