This was the perfect accompaniment to the grilled tuna. Use fresh lemongrass, rather than the dried version sold to make tea.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil such as canola or peanut, or use coconut oil if available
- 1 cup rice, washed until water runs clear and left in a strainer to dry
- 1 6 inch piece fresh lemongrass stalk, bottom part only
- 1 cup water
- 1cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, add rice and stir until rice is coated with oil and slightly golden.
Add all remaining ingredients, stir once, bring to a boil. Cover saucepan tightly, lower heat and simmer until all liquid is absorbed. Serves 4.
Mexico’s coconuts: A tasty way to beat the heat
Cooking in Puerto Escondido: Fish and fruit from Mexico’s tropics