Pets in Mexico

articles Travel & Destinations

Discussion Thread Forum

Posted by Elizabeth Thompson on Mayo 18, 2000

Are pets quarantined? I may be accepting a job in Mexico–can I bring my cat without much difficulty? What are the costs/hassles involved?

Posted by LJ on Mayo 19, 2000

Yes, you can bring your cats; no they are not quarantined. You can even bring the cat in the plane cabin, with a soft airline approved carrier (sherpa or samsonite). It costs about $100 for the extra carry-on/pet ticket, and if the pet is in the cabin with you you won’t have to worry about pet travel restrictions due to weather. Get a health certificate from your vet dated within 10 days of your departure, and a health card/certificate showing all the vaccinations. Make sure the cat has a rabies shot. The customs people will ask you for a USDA animal form, which so far no one in the US has ever heard of or been able to find, but tell the customs people you called the consulate in your state and they said this would be sufficient.

Posted by Jim in Cancun on Mayo 18, 2000

Check out: everything from bovine embryos to puppies and the link below from the Mexconnect page.

Pets in Mexico – (PS You are reading this link right now)

Posted by Elizabeth Thompson on Mayo 19, 2000

I already have, but I can’t open any of the files! I am planning to fly my cat down to Mexico. I don’t have to be at a border city to have the necessary inspection, do I? Will there be officials at the Mexico City airport to check the documents (health certs)?

Posted by jennifer rose on Mayo 19, 2000

No, you don’t have to be at a border city to obtain your cats’ health certificate. A veterinarian in your hometown can do that. Before making any further arrangements, do check with the airlines about their requirements for international transport of pets (some won’t transport animals during periods of hot weather). You will need to have the health certificate before the animal enters Mexico in any event, and yes, there are personnel at the airports whose responsibility it is to check those documents. Depending upon the time of your flight’s arrival, one may not be on duty, and you may have to wait.

Posted by Jim in Cancun in Jamaica on Mayo 20, 2000

I got a bulletin from American Airlines about a week ago saying that there was an embargo on bringing pets into Mexico from May 15-Sept. 15. Pets traveling in the cabin are exempt. As Ms. Rose said–check with the airline first.

Posted by Carey in Cozumel on Mayo 20, 2000

Continental is imposing an “indefinite” embargo at last reading. Has to do with the Pet Provision bill passed in November and requiring airlines to retrofit cargo areas for carrying animals plus putting them on the hook for twice the damages should a pet die. Carey in Cozumel


Posted by Dennis on Mayo 15, 2000

What’s required to bring a pet dog into Mexico for a couple of weeks? Anyone help me? Gracias – Dennis

Posted by Doris on Mayo 21, 2000

We just returned from Mexico after 5 months with our 2 dogs. We had no problem getting in with a valid health certificate (they did not even check the papers on the Mexican side but on the US side they did). On the way back we just used the old ones and did not even have them looked at on the US side! A health certificate we purchased from a Mexican vet only cost us 40 pesos each (2 for 20 pesos) in contrast to $38 US for 2 going in.

Posted by Wayne on Mayo 17, 2000

In the last year I have taken 1 dog south, 2 dogs north, and this month 1 dog back south. Only once was I asked for a permit and that was at a check point (Rosario) where the inspector was absolutely determined to find something he could get a bribe for. I think he either wanted my dog or some amount of money and I did have the legal certificates that time. Before bringing the dogs back I obtained a “Certificado Zoosanitario” for two dogs which requires a lot of numbers, dates and evidence of recent vaccination for rabies, triple canina, and parovirus. That form cost $8 and is Mexico Comision de danidad agropecuaria, Direccion Gernal de Salud animal.

I was never asked for the certificate and I never tempted fate by stopping at a Zoosanitario inspection station. Like most papers and requirements in Mexico it will be overlooked until there is an incident. When re-crossing into the U.S. I was not asked for any forms and the dogs were obvious. In the Colima area and in most of Mexico, dogs run free and breed freely and are regarded as a nuisance when they are run over and get in the way on the roads. Mexicans generally starve, mistreat and neglect dogs and other animals and never give them shots, spay or neuter them. The ground is full of black ticks all year so you shouldn’t let your dog run loose or run with other dogs. In Actual Practice you could probably go back and forth with your pet without any problem but on some occasion you may be asked for papers or have to pay a bribe or risk losing your pet. Wayne

Posted by Judy on Mayo 17, 2000

Hi Dennis,
Wanted to give you my input since we have been taking our 2 dogs in and out of Mexico for the past 6 years. You did not say whether you are flying or driving – my experience is with driving. You need a current (within the last 6 months) rabies certificate and an “Official Interstate Small Animal Health Certificate.” This is a common form that most vets have on hand. It is best to have this form completed no longer than 72 hours before entering Mexico. With as many trips as we have made in the past we have NEVER had a problem. In fact, most of the time neither customs (Mex or US) have even asked for our paperwork. But you need to have it all the same. We have been out of the US for as long as 7 months and we did not need any other forms to return. However, I think that you might need to see a vet in Mexico before returning to the US if you are flying. Hope this helps from someone who has “Been there done that!”

Posted by Andy in Dallas on Mayo 16, 2000

Well, I called around a lot. No luck. Jennifer and I have swapped several Emails, and I finally got on the track. It seems that a LOT of vets do not know anything about this. But, if you want to use a recommended, official form, it is the APHIS form 7001. In Texas, it may be obtained from USDA Veterinary Services in Austin at 512 – 916 – 5555.

This is the number of the supply office that has the forms. Jeanie works there. She was very nice. Jeanie says that they can be mailed ONLY to vets. She looked up the name of one of my local vets in her book, and offered to call him, and tell him I needed a completed form, and send him a few copies at no charge. So, that is one place you can get the forms if your vet doesn’t know anything about it. Call the USDA office, probably in your State Capitol, and tell them you need an APHIS form 7001. Or maybe Jeanie in Texas will send your vet one even if he lives in Hawaii, —- I didn’t think to ask…. but she sounded Texan, and Texans do things like that a lot…..If you want to web surf, you can find a lot of stuff about this at the following website: CERTIFICATES Good luck, and thanks to everyone who helped. ….. By the way, there is a memo out from the USDA (Memo # 592.102) which says on page 8:


“Any health certificate form can be used for dogs and cats even if it is printed on the stationary of the issuing veterinarian. Certain countries will provide their own health certificate for importation. APHIS Form 7001is an optional form that can be used for dogs and cats. Veterinary accreditation is not required for issuing health certificates for dogs or cats, except in those States where it is mandated by State authorities.” (END OF QUOTE FROM MEMO)

So, you could probably have your lawn man print one using crayons and toilet paper …. However, I intend to use the correct form, having some familiarity with the Mexican propensity for official looking paperwork….Party on, Andy in Dallas

Posted by jennifer rose on Mayo 15, 2000

All that’s needed to bring your dog or cat into Mexico is a U.S. Interstate and International Certificate of Health granted within the past 72 hours, stating that the animal has no communicable diseases. Any veterinarian should be able to provide this for you. To err on the safe side, a current rabies certificate wouldn’t hurt. No permit or visa is needed. No quarantine. To bring a pet back into the United States, you’ll need another health certificate and a rabies certificate not more than thirty days’ old.

Posted by Doris on Mayo 21, 2000

You only need a current rabies vaccination good for one year and a health certificate issued 10 days before you enter Mexico. On the way back to the US just use the old one and take it to a Mexican vet and he will reissue you another to get back into the U.S. We paid about 80 pesos for 2 HC’s to get back into Texas after 5 months. Your dogs should be up on a DHL-P and also a Corona Virus vaccination would be good. Get back to me if you have any questions.

Posted by Andy on Mayo 16, 2000

Thus far I have called four veterinary hospitals and one PETSMART and none of them in northern Texas has any knowledge of the form, U S Interstate and International Certificate of Health, that Jennifer has mentioned, and none know where to obtain it, nor have they ever used one. Northern Texas is horse country — lots of vets and animal hospitals….I also called two US Customs sites – one in Dallas (972-380-0567) at their port of entry, and the other at Laredo, which deals regularly with animals. Neither of the Customs officers (not the girl who answers the phone), knew of any certificate by that name, and both deal regularly with animals. Granted, animals coming INTO the US, but this is supposed to be an international form….One suggested that I call a private customs broker who deals with horses/cattle, with the idea that they might know where to go next. Another suggested that I call a Mexican consul somewhere……. No help. This exercise took all morning, several long distance calls, and my lack of success mirrors my INTERNET searches, where I have been unable to even find a REFERENCE to the form mentioned above. So, at this point, I ask again: Has anyone got the name of a veterinarian, anywhere in the US, who has this form? If they will Email me the vet’s name and location, I will personally call, find out where to get the information, and post it here on the newsgroup. Thanks for any help that you may provide. Andy in Dallas
Email: [email protected]

Posted by Carole on Mayo 16, 2000

It’s called United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals APHIS form 7001 issued by the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

Posted by Andy in Dallas on Mayo 15, 2000

Jennifer has made reference to a U.S. Interstate and International Certificate of Health which is used for bring animals into Mexico. My local veterinarian does not have such or know where to find one. However, she says she will gladly fill one out if I provide it. My search on the Internet for a source has proven fruitless. So, my question is, where can the forms for this certificate be obtained? Or, if someone has gotten one from their vet, could they please Email me the vet’s name & city. I will call him/her and find out how they are obtained. This sounds like a simple thing, but I have had no luck in obtaining one. I will post any positive results I have here on this forum. Thanks. Email: [email protected]

I just called my dogs’ vet. He has the forms needed. However, the correct name on the form is “Interstate Health Certificate.” You do not need the international form for Mexico, which is an entirely different form. He said you could call the USDA Animal Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Service in Oklahoma City, OK (405.427.9413) and they could fax you the form along with the instructions, regulations and explain what you need to do. It is not a short process and requires the form being mailed a couple of times to different offices. Good luck.

Posted by jennifer rose on Mayo 15, 2000

I’ve never known a US veterinarian who didn’t have a pad of those forms, issued by the USDA. Or the State Department of Agriculture.

Published or Updated on: May 18, 2000 by Discussion Thread Forum © 2000
Contact Discussion Thread Forum
Share This:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *