In July 2002, I moved from Boston, Massachusetts, to Monterrey, Mexico, with the intention of remaining there for the rest of my life. It was an “international love affair” that brought me there. But I have had my doubts. Is my love for this man strong enough to keep me happy in a foreign country for the rest of my life? Will I be able to adapt to my new life and my new home? Will I be able to find a good Greek salad in Monterrey?
My transition has not been easy, but I have learned more in these five months than in my whole four years at an Ivy League college. I wish that I had known someone who had been through something similar, who could advise me, or at least tell me more about what actually living in Mexico is like. I hope that this column will serve as that “someone” who can give advice and simply share experiences about adjusting to life in Mexico. I will include both serious, practical information and anecdotal stories about my encounters with Mexican culture and society.
- Jan 2003 – Who am I, and How did I end up in Mexico?
- Feb 2003 – Who Let the Dogs Out? A guide to crossing the border (both ways!) as painlessly as possible.
- Mar 2003 – Mexican Driver’s Ed
- April 2003 – Latin Lovers or Macho Men? – Mexican Machismo through the eyes of a Young, American Woman
- May 2003 – Part 1: Forget John Malkovich. – Being Amy Kirkcaldy: The 5.5 dimensions of Cross-Cultural Love
- June 2003 – Part 2: Forget John Malkovich. – Being Amy Kirkcaldy: The 5.5 dimensions of Cross-Cultural Love
- July/August 2003 – So You Want to Marry a Mexican? 5 Things they never told you…
- September 2003 – Crossing Over: Embracing My Mexican Life
- September 2003 – Special Guest article: A Bonding of Families and Countries – An International Wedding. A Mother’s perspective.
- October 2003 – “Mamitis:” When Adult Birds STILL Haven’t Flown From the Nest…
- November 2003 – Some Like it Hot….
- December 2003 – An Unexpected Visitor…
- February 2004 – A Dog’s Life
- March 2004 – Buying a Home in Mexico
- April 2004 – To Bribe or Not to Bribe? Traffic, Transitos, and Trying Times
- May 2004 – Odds and Ends, OR Forty Things Everyone Should Know.
- June 2004 – By the Way…
- July/August 2004 – Mexifaminomics: Mexican Family Economics
- December 2004 – Who Would Have Thought?
Amy Gray Kirkcaldy lives and works in Monterrey, Mexico.
When not teaching or learning how to dance cumbias, she is learning to live with her new husband Carlos and his family.