The combination of mangos and avocados gets a colorful and tasty lift from the addition of red bell peppers. Fresh bell pepper ( pimiento morrón) once meant green bell pepper, and red ones were available only in cans, but today the markets sell red and yellow bells year round. The avocado should not be peeled or cut in advance since they discolor once cut open.
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the salad:
- 1 ½ pounds mangos, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into thin crescents
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large, firm, ripe avocados, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
Mix the first 4 dressing ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk in the oil until emulsified.
Combine the mangos, red bell pepper, onion and cilantro. Gently fold in the avocados and dressing.
Serve on individual lettuce-lined salad plates or in a lettuce-lined salad bowl. Serves 4-6.