The Lake Chapala region (numerous villages stretching from Jocotepec on the northwest corner of the lake to Ajijic and Chapala further east) continues to grow in popularity among American and Canadian retirees looking for winter warmth and plenty of activities.
The area has many attractions and comforts, and yet, not everyone can live happily here — in many respects, it is not the same as “back home.”
Living in Mexico requires an openness to differences and a willingness to change.
This index page is intended to introduce you to the area.
- Lake Chapala Region – Interactive PDF Map of area, streets and villages (2009)
- Map of Lake Chapala/Jalisco – Basic Map of Lake Chapala – Simple
- Street Map of Ajijic
About the Lake Chapala Region
- Chapala lakeside lodging, shopping and dining out
- Languages and place names of the Chapala area
- Lake Chapala: attractions for all
- Health care in the area
- Chapala – a formal history — La historia de Chapala (español)
- The dance of the sun
- Pilgrimage with La Virgen de Zapopan from “A House in the Sun” by Dane Chandos
- Geology and geography
- June festivals at Lake Chapala
- Ajijic’s Answer to the Historical Mural
- Artist Enrique Velazquez
- Rancho El Pozo: a vignette
- Artist Javier Zaragoza
- The Degollado brothers create pre-Hispanic replicas
About the Lake
- Did you know? Steamboats once regularly plied the waters of Lake Chapala. – By Tony Burton
- Huichol Voices – By C. J. English
- Can Mexico’s Largest Lake Be Saved? Part 1 – An examination of Lake Chapala
- En Español – ¿Se podrá salvar el mayor lago de México?
- Can Mexico’s Largest Lake Be Saved? Part 2 – A Year 2000 Update: The State of The Lake.
- Can Mexico’s Largest Lake Be Saved? Part 3 – A Year 2001 Update: Suggestions for Discussion
- Can Mexico’s Largest Lake Be Saved? Part 4 – A Year 2002 Update: Eco-Chapala – Fish, Farm, or Bungee Jump?
- Lake Chapala 2003 — A Season of Hope – By Dale Palfrey (Includes 4 Photo Strips)
- Can Mexico’s Largest Lake Be Saved? Part 5 – (2003) The Future of Lake Chapala: A Review of “The Lerma-Lake Chapala Watershed: Evaluation and Management”
- Lake Chapala in 2004 — Another Up-beat Progress Report – By Dale Palfrey
- Photo Galleries of Ajijic and Chapala
- Can Lake Chapala be saved? Part 1 (1999)
- Can Lake Chapala be saved? Part 4 (2002)
- Photo Strip 184 – Lake Chapala 2003 – Season of Hope
- Guardians of Folk Art traditions
|Summary of monthly average temperatures and precipitation|
|The above numbers are degrees Fahrenheit and inches.|
- Art Galleries
- Canadian Club of Lake Chapala
- The Lake Chapala Society
- Niños Incapacitados del Lago
- Niños de Chapala y Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico NGO assisting underprivileged children.
Real Estate and Development Agencies & Services
- Real Estate Resource Page (Click)
- How do summer rains affect Mexico real estate in Lake Chapala?
- See great Chapala Real Estate listing on Access Lake Chapala. They have a great Real Estate and informational site about Ajijic and Chapala