When you first arrive in Pátzcuaro you notice that there are large, mature pine trees everywhere with their bases painted white presumably for the benefit of night traffic. This immediately sets the mood for the town with calming and cooling effect. Among Pátzcuaro advantages are:
- It is a relatively small city of about 40,000 people.
- There is a large lake of the same name with islands you can boat to.
- At 7200 feet altitude it is delightfully cool here even walking in the sun.
- There is not one but two plazas with sidewalk restaurants in the portals.
- It has some of the best preserved colonial architecture in all of Mexico.
- There are a multitude of day trips you can take to archaeological, craft producing, and other leisure locations.
- Tourism has not overtaken things and prices are reasonable.
The Plaza Bocanegra on this and the next two pages is one of the two major plazas in the city (the other being Plaza Quiroga). It is a great photo opportunity in motion. The buses to local destinations stop here. (There is also a station for longer distances about a mile away.)[Gallery 248 – Pátzcuaro, Michoacán]