Cremas, or cream soups, are popular all over Mexico, especially as first courses on wedding menus. The addition of sherry at the end makes this a good starter for a festive fall dinner.
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup Mexican crema or heavy cream (do not use sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, or more to taste
In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until the onion is soft but not browned. Add the sweet potato, chicken stock and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook, covered, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Allow the sweet potato mixture to cool enough to put in the blender, and puree until smooth. Return soup to saucepan, reheat and stir in crema. Taste again for salt. When crema has been incorporated, stir in sherry. Serve immediately. Serves 6 as a first course.