Jalapeño adds some zip to this healthy Mexican carrot salad. I like to serve it with enchiladas in green sauce, such as enchiladas suizas, where it is a refreshing counterpoint to the richness of the dish, and makes an attractive color contrast.
- 1 pound carrots, washed, peeled and grated
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3 scallions, including green part, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
Place the carrots, jalapeño and scallions in a bowl. Shake the olive oil and lime juice in a covered jar. Pour this dressing over the salad. Taste and add salt and pepper. Serve garnished with cilantro, if desired. Makes 4 side dish servings.
The carrot: A year-round Mexican resource
Published or Updated on: January 24, 2015