There are many versions of salpicón, which varies from region to region and can contain meat, fish or seafood, but the beef version seems to be the most common. This is a great buffet dish because it can be made in advance and is served cold.
For the salad
- 2 cups shredded, boiled flank steak or shredded, cold leftover cooked meat
- ½ small red onion, peeled and cut into crescents
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ pound tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- pickled jalapeño chile strips ( jalapeños en escabeche)
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
Allow the flank steak to cool in its cooking liquid. If using leftover cook meat, bring to room temperature. After shredding, mix meat with onion, lettuce, cilantro and tomatoes.
Mix vinegar, lime juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Pour over meat salad and stir to combine.
Place on individual plates or platter and top with avocados and chile strips. Serve with tostadas or tortilla chips if desired. Serves 4.