The mild flavor of nopales makes them ideal for combining with more strongly-flavored ingredients, such as chipotles in adobo. This recipe, from San Luis Potosí, is a quick, easy and flavorful vegetarian dish.
- 2 pounds nopal paddles, cleaned and diced
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and roasted on a dry griddle or comal
- 1/2 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 canned or homemade chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 large white onion, peeled and chopped.
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- salt to taste
Place the nopales in a large pot with salted water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Place the tomatillos, garlic and chipotles in a blender and puree.
In a medium saucepan, saute the onion in the oil until the onion is transparent. Add the puree and the nopales, stir and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot with white rice, beans and plenty of warm tortillas for making tacos.