- 2 banana leaves, passed over a flame to soften
- 2 pound piece salmon filet
- 1 brick achiote paste (100 grams, about 2 ounces)
- ¾ cup bitter orange juice (or use half sweet orange juice and half vinegar)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crumbled, dried oregano
- pinch cinnamon
- 2 whole allspice, ground
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
Line a baking dish with the banana leaves, letting them hang over the sides of the dish. Place the salmon on the leaves. Mix all remaining ingredients, except the oil, and pour this marinade over the salmon. Let marinate about 1 hour.
Drizzle the oil over the salmon, fold the banana leaves over it, and cover all with aluminium foil. Bake in a 350º oven 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
Remove the foil, turn back the banana leaves and slice the salmon. Serves 6.
The Lighter Side of Mexican Cooking