- For the beef roullades:
- thinly sliced beef
- raw bacon and ham, sliced into strips
- raw potato, cut french fry style
- string beans cut into 1″ pieces
For the mole:
- a few lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted green pumkin seeds
- 1/3 cup of roasted sesame seeds
- 2 small serrano chiles
- 4-5 tomatillos
- a few radish leaves
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs epazote
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
1) Lay beef flat and place strips of bacon, ham, potatoes and green beans in the center of each piece; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2) Roll tightly into cigar shapes and secure each end with a toothpick.
3) Blend mole verde ingredients with a little water. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, add the sauce and salt to taste.
4) Add the chicken stock to the mole sauce and stir.
5)Place rolled meat packages into the sauce and simmer briskly for about 1/2 hour, or until the vegetables inside are soft.
Variation: For a vegetarian mole verde, follow directions for the sauce, substituting chunks of vegetables for the beef rolls. Some suggestions are potatoes, carrots, chayote, zucchini, green beans.
Traditional Mexican cooking school in Tlaxcala: an interview with recipes