Requesón is a soft, white cheese, similar to ricotta in consistency, though not as sweet. If ricotta is used in place of requesón, blending it with cottage cheese until smooth will produce a taste similar to true requesón.
This recipe is quick, easy, and can be prepared a few hours ahead if necessary, making it handy for parties.
- 1 lb requesón, or a blend of ricotta and cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup milk (eliminate if using the ricotta-cottage cheese blend)
- 1 cup seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions or scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3-4 jalapeño chiles, seeded or not, according to taste
- 1/4 cup oil
- salt to taste
Using a fork, blend the requesón and milk, until a smooth consistency is achieved; alternatively, blend the ricotta and cottage cheese until smooth.
Add remaining ingredients, mix well, and serve with totopos – tortillas cut into triangles and fried in vegetable oil until crisp – or tortilla chips.
A guide to Mexican cheeses: Recipes
Published or Updated on: November 1, 2000