- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chile powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Powdered sugar for sifting over cake (optional)
Combine the first seven ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the water, melted butter and vanilla extract; stir to form a batter. Fold in the nuts.
Pour batter into a greased 8” round baking pan. Bake at 350°F for about a half hour, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool. Sift powdered sugar over the top if desired. Serves 6-8.
Published or Updated on: September 22, 2015