This Mexican avocado lime pie is something like a creamy version of key lime pie, but with the nutritional value of avocados.
- 1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
- 1 cup avocado pulp
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup lime fresh lime juice
- 1unflavored gelatin (1/4 ounce or 7 grams)
- 1can sweetened condensed milk (4 ounces or 397 grams)
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
- Whipped cream for serving
Make a graham cracker crust. In Mexico, use Marias cookies if graham crackers are not available. Ready-to-use graham cracker crusts are available in supermarkets in larger cities.
Combine lime zest, lime juice and gelatin and let stand until the gelatin has softened. Whisk together the gelatin mixture, milk and avocado.
Pour mixture into pie crust and refrigerate until firm. Serve with whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.
The Mexican avocado revisited: Getting to know its sweet side