Tomato-based noodle soup is one of the most common of all meal starters. This version goes a step beyond, incorporating Swiss chard for an added dimension of taste, texture and nutrition.
- 1 quart good chicken stock
- 2 roma tomatoes, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 200-gram package Mexican fideos or 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, ribs removed, cut into strips
- salt to taste
Heat the chicken stock to a simmer. Meanwhile, puree the tomato, onion and garlic in a blender with just enough of the stock to allow the blades to move.
Heat the corn oil in a large saucepan, add the noodles and saute them, stirring constantly to prevent scorching, until they are just golden in color. Add the tomato mixture and stir to coat the noodles. Add the hot stock and continue cooking until the noodles are nearly done. Add the chard and continue cooking until the chard is wilted. Add salt to taste.
Serves 6 as a first course.
Published or Updated on: October 28, 2014