This dish is easy and elegant enough for company, as well as a delicious every-day comida. It may be made ahead and reheated, covered.
- 1 3 1/2-4 pound chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 medium white onion, studded with 2 cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- water to cover
- salt or powdered chicken boullion to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferrably corn oil
- 4 ounces peeled, blanched almonds
- 4 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 4 slices day-old bread, torn into pieces
Place the chicken, onion, garlic, peppercorns, water to cover and salt or boullion to taste in a stockpot, bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until the chicken is tender, making sure to remove the breast pieces when they are cooked through, since they will become rubbery if cooked for the same length of time required for dark meat.
Remove the cooked chicken, strain the stock and reserve.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet, add the cooked chicken pieces, and saute until golden. Remove and keep warm, covered.
Place the almonds, egg yolks, bread and 1 cup of the reserved broth in a blender and puree. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet, add the almond puree and cook, stirring, 5-10 minutes. Add broth as necessary, a little at a time, to form a medium-thick sauce. Return the chicken to the pan and heat through. Serve the chicken covered with generous helpings of the sauce.