I like this Mexican quinoa vegetable soup with homemade chicken stock, but vegetable stock works well, too. The chopped cilantro, avocado and queso fresco garnishes should not be overlooked.
- ½ cup raw quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (red or green or a mix of the two)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped tomato (seeded and peeled before chopping, or use canned)
- 1 cup diced zucchini squash (calabacita)
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Chopped avocado, for garnish
- Crumbled queso fresco or farmer cheese, for garnish
Rinse quinoa if not pre-rinsed, and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until wilted and transparent. Add the garlic, potatoes, bell pepper, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, tomatoes and squash. Lower heat and cook, covered, until the quinoa and vegetables are tender.
Serve in bowls, garnished with cilantro, avocado and cheese. Serves 6.
Quinoa: Mexico welcomes a wonder food