Mexico Connect
Forums > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Kofo

Jan 6, 2003, 12:58 PM

Post #1 of 8 (10720 views)

Shortcut

U.S. Cell Phones in Tijuana

Can't Post |
Do U.S. citizens who live in T.J. continue to use their U.S. cell phones? This is illegal, isn't it? If so, is there much of a chance of getting in a bind over it?

Thanks.

MarisolEnPlayas

Jan 6, 2003, 2:18 PM

Post #2 of 8 (10652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kofo] U.S. Cell Phones in Tijuana

Can't Post |
Most of us have cellphones that work on both sides of the border. But some people do indeed use U.S. cellphones that only work in certain areas, and others work pretty much throughout Tijuana.

It is not illegal, as you are paying roaming charges when you use your cell in Tijuana. You will not get in a bind over it, and you will find it is extremely common. It seems that many cellphones that don't normally work in TJ, seem to work around 2nd street, as they still seem to pick up the signals in that area.

LaFenix

Jan 6, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #3 of 8 (10632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MarisolEnPlayas] U.S. Cell Phones in Tijuana

Can't Post |
Mine works here except for inside the condo when it goes into digital roaming. It goes back into Sprint on the roof and has clear network reception in most other areasof Playas and TJ. It is not illegal; most U.S. comanies have an agreement with Pegaso. I have recently had a problem but Pegasso and Sprint are working to correct it. It is rare however, to experience difficulties.

ET

Jan 6, 2003, 10:46 PM

Post #4 of 8 (10609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LaFenix] U.S. Cell Phones in Tijuana

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
LaFenix writes:
.....most U.S. comanies have an agreement with Pegaso....

I suspect this might be a bit of a broad generalization. Of the US national carriers:
- AT&T Wireless definitely can't use Pegaso as Pegaso is using a 1900 MHz CDMA network, while AT&T started off with AMPS, went digital first with 850 MHz TDMA and later with 1900 MHz TDMA, and is now midway into the process of overlaying their network with a "3G" GSM upgrade. In Mexico, AT&T has a roaming agreement with Telcel, who's mirrored AT&T's series of network choices.
- Both Cingular and T-Mobile (Voicestream/Deutsche Telekom) use 1900 MHz GSM equipment, which is again incompatible with Pegaso's network. In Mexico both companies have agreements with Telcel to roam on the currently limited, but growing portions of the Telcel network which have had a 3G GSM overlay. Despite Cingular also using 1900 MHz TDMA equipment in some markets, they do not offer roaming in Mexico with their TDMA handsets (which would be incompatible with Pegaso's network).
- As Verizon (850 & 1900 MHz CDMA), via their Bell Atlantic component has a controlling interest in IUSACell (1900 MHz CDMA) it would seem logical that they would use IUSACell as their Mexican roaming partner. Verizon Wireless doesn't identify their Mexican roaming partner on their website, but their list of cities covered extends beyond Pegaso's coverage list (but does falls short of IUSACell's list).

This pretty much leaves Sprint by themselves in partnering with Pegaso.

LaFenix

Jan 7, 2003, 5:16 PM

Post #5 of 8 (10563 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] U.S. Cell Phones in Tijuana

Can't Post |
Interesting. Makes me wish I had another company so that I did not have to deal with Pegaso not fixing the problem. Sprint has sent me a super duper new phone that picks up the network in the house, so happier anyway. Makes getting a land line look more attractive. I hear the international rates to call the states are cheaper.

Brian

Jan 7, 2003, 5:55 PM

Post #6 of 8 (10559 views)

Shortcut

One of the things I like about using SprintPCS/Pegaso near the border is the packet of roaming minutes available. In addition to the Mexico Calling Plan (22 cents per minute to call TJ from San Diego) you can purchase buckets of 50 roaming minutes for $10 which, for the mathematically challenged means that you pay 20 cents per minute. That's less than any of the Mexican prepaid cell plans.

LaFenix

Jan 7, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #7 of 8 (10554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] U.S. Cell Phones in Tijuana

Can't Post |
Yes I agree the packagges are nice and stackable. Because of my problem with Pegaso, Sprint took all the roaming international and piggybacked them after the fact. Plus sent me the free phone that has the capacity to stay in Sprint. However, while happy with my service and how they are working to resolve the matter (plus mega credits) I am interested to know how other carriers pan out. I had great service for 7 months then it went bonkers last month. The lucky thing is that my son's phone is still working okay and we swtich depending on who is crossing the border. But I get confused and call myself. hahaha

Now due to your post, I know why my daughters Verizon phone won't work here. Thanks.

ET

Jan 7, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #8 of 8 (10548 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
LaFenix writes:
.....Now due to your post, I know why my daughters Verizon phone won't work here.

Assuming your daughter's phone is of any moderately recent vintage, she should be able to get roaming coverage in Tijuana (subject to the typical localized deadspot and dropout problems you can experience with any cellphone), which is specifically identified on Verizon's Mexico roaming area list http://www.verizonwireless.com/...;p_topic=359#FAQ1321.

You may want to investigate the manuals for your specific phones to see if they are equipped with multiple NAMs (Numeric Address Modules). In the hands of a moderately knowledgeable cellphone dealer, such a phone can have a second (or more) phone number associated with it with a different carrier. I know of a couple of people using US-carrier serviced TDMA or CDMA phones (it's not an option with a pure GSM unit, for which you'd switch the SIM card for local carrier service) who were spending enough time in Mexico to have service set up with a Mexican carrier in the second NAM. Depending on the specific phone, you may or may not be able to receive incoming calls from both NAMs simultaneously. Naturally, through the phone's setup menu, you'd also have to choose which NAM you wanted to route an outgoing call through.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4