Mexico Connect
Forums > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Ric

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4337 views)

Shortcut

molcajete cleaning

Can't Post |

Okay, so I finally (after three years) got to go back to stay with some friends I have in a pueblo just outside Celaya. Since they know I love food and cooking, I ate like a king for the whole week. One of my "missions" while there, was to buy a molcajete. Between the horse-riding, visiting Leon and Querretaro and Celaya, and a night at a jaripeo (spelling?) put on by Joan Sebastian I didn't get a chance to buy one. At the last minute, one of my friends mother put one in my suitcase as a suprise. (It's huge!)
I already knew how to season it. I used the uncooked rice method and finished by using rock salt to get out the rice "flour". Now that I have used it, I am not sure of the correct method to clean it. It makes the most delicious salsa, but its a bit hard to rinse out the bits of food from the crevaces, and I am told by my Mexican friends here that soap is a no-no. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Lynne

Post #2 of 4 (4330 views)

Shortcut

molcajete cleaning

Can't Post |

I too bought one recently. I have tried the dry rice method but have not gotten too far. I feel like it still has too much of the lava rock. How long did it take you? As far as I have heard you don't clean them. But, that is what they said about my WOK but I still clean with soap and water and re season. I have had that over 20 years. Please email me when you hear more.

p.s. I bought a comal too. I think I season that like a cast iron pan. I also bought a tortillas press. All came as a package through:

WWW.MEXGROCER.COM

gran

Post #3 of 4 (4326 views)

Shortcut

molcajete cleaning - Ric and Lynne

Can't Post |

Hola,
I use a molcajete that must be at least 70 yrs. old and still going strong (belonged to my grandmother). I'm sure there are many methods of cleaning molcajetes but the way I do it is to scrub it with a vegetable brush under running water then let it air dry. Those bits of spices or food that you are unable to get out help to flavor the molcajete. Scroll down to Jan.2002 for posts on seasoning molcajetes.

Gran

Rey

Post #4 of 4 (4326 views)

Shortcut

molcajete cleaning

Can't Post |

Pressure wash ;)

did that once to my mom's molcajete. Used the garden hose with a nozzle....cleaned it VERY good ;) Only problem? you're left with holes where your food will still collect immediately. So, just wash off what you can, the rest leave there to give your other food preperations some flavoring ;)..hehe

Rey

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4