Mexico Connect
Forums > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

mart.pierre

Feb 7, 2011, 3:04 PM

Post #1 of 14 (9849 views)

Shortcut

Please Help!!!!!

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been back from traveling in Mexico for about a month and have been trying desperately to find a recipe on the internet, of a dish that i had in a restaurant in Valladolid.

The dish was called stuffed cheese, why, i don't know because it was more like a stew with two or three different types of meat with chillis, nuts,olives, raisins,etc with a big piece of cheese in the stew.

If anyone knows anything about this recipe please let me know, i would love to have that recipe, and would be very grateful for your help.

Thank you

arbon

Feb 7, 2011, 5:42 PM

Post #2 of 14 (9833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mart.pierre] Please Help!!!!!

Can't Post |
Do any of these look right?
http://www.google.ca/...biw=1003&bih=612
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arbon

Feb 7, 2011, 5:46 PM

Post #3 of 14 (9830 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
queso relleno recipes

http://www.google.ca/...aqi=&aql=&oq=
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

La Isla

Feb 7, 2011, 7:38 PM

Post #4 of 14 (9819 views)

Shortcut

I wonder if the dish was some kind of estofado, which means a stew, not stuffed. Maybe the menu was translated poorly from Spanish to English.

mart.pierre

Feb 8, 2011, 5:56 AM

Post #5 of 14 (9808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Please Help!!!!!

Hi there,

Thank you for responding to my question. After looking at your pictures i saw the dish wich is identified under Hotel casa marquez, the restaurant where we had this dish. Would you have the recipe for this dish by any chance, or have an idea of the ingredients and how it is prepared?

mart.pierre

Feb 8, 2011, 7:55 AM

Post #6 of 14 (9791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Please Help!!!!!

Sorry, the restaurant called Hosteria del marqués at El meson del marqués.

Gayla

Feb 11, 2011, 2:43 PM

Post #7 of 14 (9715 views)

Shortcut

I think you may be looking for a recipe for Relleno Negro, or possibly Queso Relleno, but I really think it's Relleno Negro. The Marquesa is known for it's Relleno Negro and it is a specialty of the area.

Papirex

Feb 11, 2011, 5:18 PM

Post #8 of 14 (9700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Please Help!!!!!

The inexact English translations for menus from Spanish to English is the reason I stopped asking for menus in English 20 or 25 years ago. If you get used to ordering a meal in Spanish, there will seldom be any misunderstandings.

A few months ago, we went to a restaurant that we frequently dine at. A new mesera heard me speaking some English to my Mexican wife, so she brought me a menu in English. I couldn't understand the translations so I had to use my wife's Spanish language menu to order what I wanted.

I said nothing to the mesera, I realized that she intended to accommodate me.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

La Isla

Feb 11, 2011, 5:27 PM

Post #9 of 14 (9695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Papirex] Please Help!!!!!

The problem with the poorly-translated menus is the same as all the poor translations into English that you see all over Mexico, and elsewhere. People think that translating is easy to do, that all you need is a bilingual dictionary to do a good job. No one wants to pay someone like me, who is a professional translator, decent money to do a decent job!

mexicobuff

Feb 11, 2011, 7:28 PM

Post #10 of 14 (9680 views)

Shortcut

Queso relleno is a very famous dish from the Yucatán. It is not an estofado. Relleno negro is a completely different thing.

The OP has the name correct. Here's a recipe:

http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/21246

Sr. Google is your friend.
NB Email modified to avoid duplication with Esperanza's email of patalarga@gmail.com

(This post was edited by mexicobuff on Feb 11, 2011, 7:31 PM)

mazbook1

Feb 12, 2011, 3:43 PM

Post #11 of 14 (9638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicobuff] Please Help!!!!!

To add to what mexicobuff posted, here is a somewhat more traditional recipe for queso relleno. The "kol" is a thin white sauce that is poured over the slices (served in a shallow soup bowl), the the salsa roja is added to the serving giving it a dash of color (and flavor, naturally). This gives the serving the appearance of an estofado, even though is definitely is not.

http://cocinalamexicana.espaciolatino.com/quesorelleno.html

The word "kol" or the alternate spelling "col" just means cabbage in México, so its use in this recipe must be a purely Yucateco usage, maybe from one of the Mayan languages. One source says this: "…Kol (a traditional gravy-like sauce served atop tamales)" in its discussion of Mayan cooking from Mayan Cuisine: Recipes From the Yucatan Region by Daniel Hoyer.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Feb 12, 2011, 4:00 PM)

sioux4noff

Mar 3, 2011, 8:51 PM

Post #12 of 14 (9386 views)

Shortcut

No one wants to pay someone like me, who is a professional translator, decent money to do a decent job!

Nor, apparently, do they ask one of their English speaking customers to look over the menu before it is printed.

La Isla

Mar 3, 2011, 9:03 PM

Post #13 of 14 (9383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Please Help!!!!!

In Reply To

No one wants to pay someone like me, who is a professional translator, decent money to do a decent job!

Nor, apparently, do they ask one of their English speaking customers to look over the menu before it is printed.

That's probably because they have no idea the translation is wrong or perhaps they just don´t care :) .

sioux4noff

Mar 5, 2011, 4:21 PM

Post #14 of 14 (9325 views)

Shortcut

We frequent several places where there are menus available in English. For one, I offered to translate his menu for him, and he printed a few English copies. For others, we have ffered to look over copy for spelling errors or possible misuse of words, but have not been taken up on that offer.
My husband has a theory that places with little errors on the menu don't really mind having the errors because it gives a more quaint or rustic impression that tourists often remember.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4