Forums > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tashby

Aug 12, 2008, 3:23 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4901 views)

Shortcut

Aporreado!

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think I spelled that correctly?

I had never heard of it, but tried it today. The waiter warned me that it was quite picosa, but I like spicy and the dish was recommended by someone in the neighborhood I'd been talking to over the weekend. Besides, I've discovered sometimes waiters warn about spiciness to someone who's obviously from the US when it isn't really all that spicy...

Well, it was muy picosa alright! But so delicious. Dried meat, a lot like beef jerky, reconstituted (?) in a delicious broth that I'll have to explore further to figure out what's in it. Also seemed to have some egg in there? Yum.

We at at Fonda Mirceva today, on Calle Abosolo about a half block south of Aldama, in el centro de Morelia. The partner order Pipian de pollo, also tasty, but a bit earthy for me.

We'll be back.

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 12, 2008, 3:24 PM)

esperanza

Aug 12, 2008, 7:38 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Aporreado!

Sí, aporreado! The dried beef is called tasajo--usually Oaxacan-style dried beef. Next time you go to the fonda, ask if the dish is a Oaxacan preparation!

Better yet, next time you go to the fonda, let us know and we'll go with you. It sounds wonderful.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Aug 14, 2008, 6:19 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Aporreado!

I first had this dish at the restaurant "El Huaje", IIRC, across from Sanatorio de La Luz, in Morelia. Later, at a restaurant on the highway just south of Nvo. Laredo. I had Machaca con Huevo, which I found very similar, but less picante and maybe not at all.

I think I've eaten in the fonda Tashby mentions. It offers a very quick and inexpensive comida corrida there.

tashby

Aug 15, 2008, 6:49 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Aporreado!

Mmmmmm. Machaca. You know....the best Machaca I've ever had was in South Tucson, but if you've ever been to South Tucson there really isn't any irony there. Haven't yet found a version I like better in Mexico....but there's still time.

And yes, when I heard "dried beef" and "huevo" I thought it might be like what I'd been served before. But this came in a bowl, more soupy/stewy.

I was relieved when the finally brought a spoon....

(This post was edited by tashby on Aug 15, 2008, 6:52 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4