Mexico Connect
Forums > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

vwbus1969

Dec 29, 2007, 5:51 PM

Post #1 of 13 (12120 views)

Shortcut

Quisiera vs. Tener ganas de

Can't Post | Private Reply
What are the main differences between the two? Is there a difference if you use the subjuntive querer "quisiera", "quiero" or "Tener ganas de".

One means I would like, one means I want, and one means I feel like...
Can you give some examples of when you would want to use one over the other? When specifically would one use quisiera?

When ordering food, is the polite way to order quisiera un bistec, or is it acceptable to say dame un bistec or quiero un bistec. Telling the waiter tengo ganas de comer un bistec doesn't seem right.

Am I correct in assuming that the only polite way to order food is to go with quisiera? Let's say you're not in a fancy restaurant but a taco stand: my instinct would be to go with dame un taco de tripas.

robrt8

Dec 29, 2007, 6:24 PM

Post #2 of 13 (12111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vwbus1969] Quisiera vs. Tener ganas de

Quisiera is way too abstract if you're ordering something. Make sure you add por favor - that's essential. Quiero/dame "..." por favor.

jerezano

Dec 30, 2007, 5:56 PM

Post #3 of 13 (12087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Quisiera vs. Tener ganas de

Hello,

To answer the original post Quisiera is subjunctive and indicatess possibility.

If you tell the waiter "Quisiera un bistec bien cocido." He wouldn't really knopw what you want. The Quisiera in this case would translate as "I might like a beefsteak..." So he might go into a description of the meat quality. Of course if you say "Tengo ganas de un bistec," he might still be at sea, because you may want a beefsteak but your doctor has told you no and you haven't really made up your mind.

Now you could say to your significant other, "Tengo ganas de un bistec. ¿Quisieras uno? or if you are with a lunch companion from work and you feel like springing for the lunch, ¿Quisiera uno?

If you are ordering you need to be positive and the proper form would be Quiero un bistec.... or many other ways. Por favor lléveme un bistec... etc. Or just Un bistec bien cocido. Which is effectve but perhaps "corriente" in a restaurant of class.

So robrt8 is correct. Quisiera is just too vague (abstract)for an order.

Adiós. jerezano

DickH

Dec 31, 2007, 6:54 AM

Post #4 of 13 (12073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Quisiera vs. Tener ganas de

I find this very fascinating. One of my bug-a-boos has been - how to take the edge off of just "I want" when ordering, and is it necessary to in Spanish. I worried that I could come off as demanding instead of requesting.

I used the Pimsleur tapes for some time prior to moving to Mexico. They stress the use of "Me gustaria...." Then I found some textbooks that focused on Spanish in the Americas and they suggested "Quisiera...." as the method, translating it to "I'd like....". So, when I started lessons here form a Mexican teacher, I asked. The response I received was the imperfect subjunctive - "quiseira" is very good and common way to order in a restaurant and that the Pimsleur "Me gustaria, while good, comes off as sort of stuffy. Another that she and the text books like is the use of the present indicative, "Me trae un bistec, por favor."

Sure gets confusing!

Dick

esperanza

Dec 31, 2007, 8:00 AM

Post #5 of 13 (12070 views)

Shortcut

When I was learning Spanish--not in school or other classes, but during years of lived experience in Mexico with native Spanish-speakers--I was told that quisiera was the correct way to ask for something that I wanted another person to do for me, whatever the situation.

As another poster suggested, my colleagues said that quiero could be heard as too demanding and that quisiera was polite.

It's one thing to tell a friend, "Quiero ir a Roma en abril." (I want to go to Rome in April.) You wouldn't be making any sort of request, just stating a desire of your own.

It's another thing to tell the waiter, "Quisiera la carne bien cocida." (I would like the meat well done.)

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

vwbus1969

Dec 31, 2007, 10:54 PM

Post #6 of 13 (12054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Quisiera vs. Tener ganas de

Thank you for those responses, that does help. I do not use quisiera since I don't hear native speakers use it when ordering. I have mostly used quiero, or dame but I almost forgot about Me traes which works well for me also. I understand perfecty the difference now with tengo ganas de, obviously that would not be the way to go when ordering food out.

I have the same issue that Dick expressed, quiero sounds too demanding to me but it comes across loud and clear. I guess the por favor softens it somewhat.

quevedo

Jan 2, 2008, 9:10 AM

Post #7 of 13 (12038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Softly, gently

Can't Post |
Right on (or is it in?) every aspect, amiga Esperanza.

¡Feliz Año Nuevo a todo el mundo!

Quevedo

ncferret

Jan 2, 2008, 5:16 PM

Post #8 of 13 (12019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Softly, gently

I have used (and heard it used) "tengo ganas" more in the context of "looking forward to". Por ejemplo, "Tengo ganas a verte".

Si o no?

esperanza

Jan 2, 2008, 7:56 PM

Post #9 of 13 (12013 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Softly, gently

It's tengo ganas de...

Tengo ganas de un helado.
I'd like an ice cream.

Tengo ganas de viajar a California.
I'd like to travel to California.

Tengo ganas de conocer a tu suegra.
I'd like to meet your mother-in-law.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

muycontento

Jan 3, 2008, 1:01 PM

Post #10 of 13 (11992 views)

Shortcut

The most common way of expresssing a restaurante order I hear is para mí los chiles rellenos por favor

Rolly

Jan 3, 2008, 1:35 PM

Post #11 of 13 (11988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [muycontento] Quisiera vs. Tener ganas de

That's the way I do it. I call it the Bush-41 method -- leave out the verb.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Jan 3, 2008, 5:16 PM

Post #12 of 13 (11975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Softly, gently

Hello quevedo:

Right on! Well said. Correct. Exactly! ¡Cierto!

Right, in every aspect. Correct, in every detail. Well made. A perfect reproduction.

Adiós. jerezano

quevedo

Jan 4, 2008, 8:45 AM

Post #13 of 13 (11964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Muchas gracias, señor

Can't Post |
Feliz Año Nuevo,

Quevedo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4