Forums > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Rolly

Dec 4, 2010, 12:20 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2956 views)

Shortcut

Hay bale and adobe construction

Can't Post | Private Reply
Although the remarkable home in this video is in Oregon,
it has many ideas that could be applied in México.

There is a second story here.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 4, 2010, 12:24 PM)

chinagringo

Dec 4, 2010, 2:10 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Hay bale and adobe construction

Rolly:

That type of construction has been used here in Albuquerque and other areas of New Mexico for years. While a generally well accepted construction method, I have had occasion to view projects where they were doing additions that required opening up sections of the old walls. I observed hay that had extreme mold and serious deterioration along with critters living and dead inside of these walls. While I would grant you that the original building techniques may have been marginal, they did give me enough pause to feel that I probably would not want this type of construction.

After doing my research, I decided on the ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) construction method. Given the availability and relative low cost of concrete in Mexico, I always thought this would really work there. There are numerous different systems and some use recycled foam as the basis for their blocks: http://www.rastra.com/index.html
Here is a video of another product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvVsNoTuOIc
Naturally, it would have to be done in an area with concrete pumper trucks. A side cost benefit would be the low labor rate in setting up the forms, stringing the rebar and running the conduit/plumbing in the walls prior to the pour. I have been on the job site when an entire 3500 to 4000 square foot house was poured in a single day.

I have attached our floorplan for a 3151 sq ft ICF home. The exterior walls are all 12" thick and properly constructed the home would be almost bomb proof.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Attachments: floorplan.GIF (44.5 KB)

chicois8

Dec 4, 2010, 2:30 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2945 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, i may be wrong but i believe they use straw bales not hay...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

RickS

Dec 4, 2010, 5:14 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2928 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, thanks for the link to that video. I've seen a lot of houses but this one is so full of great ideas for living I would recommend everyone watch all 14 minutes of it.

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 4, 2010, 6:43 PM)

Rolly

Dec 4, 2010, 5:41 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Hay bale and adobe construction

Yes, the innovative design features were what really caught my eye more than the construction materials.

And, yes, it's straw not hay. I've dealt with so many bales of hay in previous lives that when a see a bale of something brown, I automatically think hay.

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Dec 4, 2010, 6:07 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2922 views)

Shortcut

HAY HAY HAY...For the last month I have been living in a half adobe and half straw bale house off the grid near Dolores Hidalgo...I am in the process of building an adobe house near it and someone else is building a sandbag home....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Rolly

Dec 4, 2010, 7:15 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Hay bale and adobe construction

Pictures please!!!

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4