Mexico Connect
Forums > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

lakechapaladreamer

Feb 6, 2007, 10:07 AM

Post #1 of 14 (6386 views)

Shortcut

Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have very attractive large light reddish-brown tiles on all my floors and patio area. Especially in the areas outside, where it gets lots of direct sun, it is dull. I found a liter container of "Aceite Para Mop" in the grocery store today. It has got a reddish tint to it. I asked several mexican women if it is for tile floors, and they didn't seem to be familiar with it. They looked fairly wealthy, so maybe I should ask a maid, but I don't have one yet.

We both know some spanish, but I'm having trouble with the directions. Here they are...

The ingredients are: Aceite, Magnetizador de polo, Brilla piscos.

Instructions (exactly as printed, minus accents and such and including my pathetic attempt at translation): Aplique con atomizador. (Spray it on... however, in my Larouse dict. aplique is lamp and apply is aplicar... trying to learn Spanish... very confusing sometimes when translating.) Now here's where I got confused... Mop 40ms. 150 ml. 60ms. 200 ml. 90 ms. 250 ml (?? I get ml, but what is ms?) Deje que se impregne por unas horas ( Let it soak for an hour); depues uselo (Afterwards ?). Lavese con detergente y Agua caliente (wash with soap and hot water). Repita la Operacion (repeat).

Do you think this is for reviving tile floors?

Thank you

Diana

Papirex

Feb 6, 2007, 11:05 AM

Post #2 of 14 (6378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lakechapaladreamer] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Spanish abbreviations often stump me, but I think that MS is probably an abbreviation for metros. In this case, since it is referring to a floor, it would mean square meters. I believe the directions are instructing you how much cleaner to use for the size of the floor you are going to treat.

Aceite can mean oil. Many people do use petroleum products to rejuvenate their tile floors here. We have never done that. The houses we have lived in here were all new, or fairly new. Maids are usually very familiar with the various ways to clean or treat a floor. Since you donít have a maid yet, maybe if you know someone that does have a maid, you could have them ask her about the product you are looking at.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

lakechapaladreamer

Feb 6, 2007, 11:11 AM

Post #3 of 14 (6375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Thanks, Rex, I'll do that.

bournemouth

Feb 6, 2007, 11:26 AM

Post #4 of 14 (6372 views)

Shortcut

If your tile is glazed or sealed, I don't think this product is going to work. It needs an untreated surface to soak into.

Rolly

Feb 6, 2007, 12:59 PM

Post #5 of 14 (6362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

"It needs an untreated surface to soak into."

I think that is correct. The stuff is probably good for Saltillo tiles and concrete floors and sidewalks.

Rolly Pirate

Waterlily

Feb 6, 2007, 2:15 PM

Post #6 of 14 (6351 views)

Shortcut

Our builder sealed the red Saltillo-type tiles in our new home. No shine or luster at all. I found a Johnson & Johnson product called Glo-Mosa and it works very well to put a shine on the floor. I think that it must be a cousin to Mop & Glo NOB. Glo-Mosa is available in Morelia at Home Depot, WalMart and Superama.
We applied very heavy the first time. The floor had a white cast until it dried. We (meaning Cruz, my house cleaner) reapply a light coat every week with a damp string mop. The floors look great.

bournemouth

Feb 6, 2007, 2:56 PM

Post #7 of 14 (6346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Waterlily - I can't thank you enough for that information. We have some tile floors that are of the quarry type - unglazed red clay but factory made, that were at some point treated with some kind of wax finish and they are driving me mad - they show every little mark. I'd been wondering about hauling down a lifetime supply of Mop & Glo - we're off to Guadalajara shopping this weekend!

Cynthia7

Feb 6, 2007, 9:23 PM

Post #8 of 14 (6327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Glomosa is what we used to buy and it was called Johnson Glo Coat. If you ever had linoleum you knew about Johnson Glo Coat. It is great for quarry tile, saltillo tile, brick or stone. I have even put red polvo in it, stirred it up and enhanced the red in the tile. Great product..

lakechapaladreamer

Feb 7, 2007, 6:41 AM

Post #9 of 14 (6316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Thanks to all of you who replied! I knew there had to be a way to make these tiles look better.

Bloviator

Feb 10, 2007, 6:22 AM

Post #10 of 14 (6260 views)

Shortcut

We use aciete para mop. The only problem is that we have been informed that it has to be applied five times per day to effectively build up coveage for the tile.. We're lucky if it gets applied five times per week. My wife, always the optimist, keeps on saying - look, it's building up a sheen. I can't see it, but hope she is right.

As of now, the untreated tile seems to me to be a big mistake as it soaks up every liquid as an ugly stain. Wish we had bought glazed tiles.

bournemouth

Feb 10, 2007, 7:06 AM

Post #11 of 14 (6257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

Dick - your tile should have been sealed - why didn't they do that for you? In our previous life, clay tile was always first treated with oil (in the north usually linseed oil) mixed with some paint thinner to drive the oil into the tile and stop any being left on top of the tiles, and then sealed with whatever the current favorite sealer happened to be. Sealer is usually intended to be redone every year but we usually got away with a much longer period than that.

Bloviator

Feb 10, 2007, 2:49 PM

Post #12 of 14 (6235 views)

Shortcut

Dunno. Will check. It makes sense. Our tile picks up everything and I'm afraid it is too late. It's quite nice anyway if one likes stains and dark spots on their teal tile.

bournemouth

Feb 10, 2007, 3:35 PM

Post #13 of 14 (6233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Aceite Para Mop...For Tile Floors?

That's the problem - I should have remembered that you have it tinted - I'm afraid that's a problem for ever. I was thinking about the straight clay tile.

jkoster

Jul 15, 2007, 4:12 PM

Post #14 of 14 (6137 views)

Shortcut

We use aciete para mop for dry-mopping sealed saltillo tile. It picks up the dust and leaves a much cleaner-appearing finish than using a dry mop alone.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4