Mexico Connect
Forums > General > Traveling Mexico

jose

Nov 30, 2006, 9:18 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2201 views)

Shortcut

Zacatecas to Guadalajara via Aguascalientes

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am going to travel to Guadalajara recently and have thought about using the Aguascalientes way as opposed to what I normaly travel Highway 54. I have always used Highway 54 because I have family in some of the small towns along the way. In a sense I kind of felt safe knowing that I could get help If I ever needed it. I have tried at one time Traveling Zacatecas to Guadalajara about ten years ago. I did not have a good map and I got lost in the small towns and especialy in Aguascalientes city. I took the autopista to Lagos de Moreno. In short not a good way to go. However recently I have seen post about new and improved roads and autopistas that would shorten the time and going from Encarnacion de Diaz to San Juan de los Lagos. In short, How long is the Trip from Zacatecas to Guadalajara using that new autopista from Morelos, Zac.? Your response is appreciated.

jerezano

Dec 1, 2006, 11:29 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jose] Zacatecas to Guadalajara via Aguascalientes

Hello José:

You asked: In short, How long is the Trip from Zacatecas to Guadalajara using that new autopista from Morelos, Zac.?

I can't really tell you the total time. We always stop and eat breakfast in Aguascalientes which makes the total time there about 2 hours. We usually take about 6 hours to Ajijic from Jerez, but then again we are not in a hurry.

The new autopista from Morelos Zacatecas to Aguascalientes cuts at least half an hour off your trip going South and about an hour and 15 minutes coming North. This is due to the fact that you do NOT need to enter Zacatecas City at all or to take that horrendous periferico. Coming North the new autopista does not present any really steep grades over the mountains as does the normal route. And going South everything is downhill and superfast driving. However, there is an even shorter route if you are coming South from Saltillo. At Pozo de Gamboa you take the truck route (two lane but in good condition six months ago) for Palomitas and pick up the Aguascalientes-Zacatecas autopista (turning in the Zacatecas direction at Zóquite. If you think you would be confused just keep on the Saltillo-Zacatecas highway to the Morelos intersection with the new Autopista.

At Aguascalientes, probably the easiest way not to get lost is to take the 3rd Periférico to the East at the entrance to Aguascalientes. It is well marked with transito pesado signs and México, and San Luis Potosí. You must make that left turn from the center lane. Be sure not to occupy any of the other lanes or you may be forced to use the West Periférico which I like more, but which is not well signed. Then just keep following through all the innumerable semaphores until you see México and Lagos de Moreno and Airport signs. It is well signed at the intersections.

Even so, it will take you a good hour to transit the city.

If you look at the Aguascalientes-Guadalajara autopista you will see that Lagos de Moreno is really out of your way. You can shortcut that triangle by taking the exit to San Juan de los Lagos and then pick up the autopista on the other side of San Juan to continue your trip. Time saved? Probably none. Gas and mileage yes. However the road is two lane and the surface a couple of years ago was in fairly sad shape.

I would take the Aguascalientes-Lagos de Moreno autopista to the San Juan de los Lagos toll exit if you do take the San Juan de los Lagos route. Using the libre and exiting at Encarnación de Díaz would just add another hour or so of frustration.

Have a good trip. Adiós. jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Dec 1, 2006, 11:33 AM)

jose

Dec 1, 2006, 3:14 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Zacatecas to Guadalajara via Aguascalientes

Thank You for the information. I still not sure if If going through Aguascalientes is what we will do. This is the usual scenerio. As of two years ago Highway 54 out of Zacatecas going towards Guadalajara was being worked on. Road was good (a lane and a half) until past the Jerez Junction. Road was Drivable good in some places and not so good in others. Mountain Grades and slow going at times oh yes and lots of curves. Average 45 mph. Ok until Ixlahuacan del Rio. Then Traffic depending on time of day can be a bear. You could get stuck behind a slow going doble remolque. Then there is the ever increasing city of Guadalajara. Now outskirts to periferico can slow going. But on average I would say It is about 4-5 hours. If there is a time shortage by going through Aguas and then I'm all for it. But If I read correctly Going through Aguas is an hour and going on the two lane Encarancion de Dias and San Juan de los Lagos is another hour. That does not leave much of improvement IMHO in time. Or did I misunderstand? Thank You for your response.

jerezano

Dec 1, 2006, 7:34 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jose] Zacatecas to Guadalajara via Aguascalientes

Hello José:

You misunderstood. Highway 54, I am told, has not been improved over the past year. So no change there.

Do NOT take the free highway and go through Encarnación de Díaz if you go the Aguascalientes route. Take the autopista to the San Juan de Los Lagos exit at the toll booth and it is about 30 to 40 minutes to the autopista again. If you go straight on at the toll booth and go to the Lagos de Moreno exit which is also the exit to Guadalajara and then go on you will pass just south of San Juan de Los Lagos and pick up the same junction as if you had gone through San Juan. The time is about the same because you are traveling much faster on the autopista. The mileage through San Juan is a whole lot less.

I just checked with my friends who pay much more attention to the time and Ajijic is 4-1/2 to 5 hours through Aguascalientes from Jerez. And that includes the hour that you need to get through Aguascalientes and a stop for breakfast at Aguascalientes.

What you should base you decision on is where you want to go when you get to Guadalajara. If you want to go to Ajijic, then the Aguascalientes route is best because from the Highway 54 dump out to the North Periiférico at Guadalajara to Ajijic is a good hour and a half. If you go the Aguascalientes route you dump out on the South Períferico very close to the airport exit to Ajijic. Watch the signage for Chapala.

If you want to go to Colima or Tepic forget either route and take the route through Jerez and the Tepetongo and Tlatenango canyon route. 45 miles an hour average. And as on 54 you have to go down into the Barranca when you get near Guadalajara. But this route dumps you out on the North Periférico just a bit before the Colima or the Tepic exits. Those Periféricos in heavy traffic can be murder.

All three routes take about the same time from Zacatecas to Guadalajara. The Autopista is of course easy driving. The other two keep you awake with the two lane highways and mountain driving. The Autopista also is expensive. And the 54 Barranca is frightening in rainy weather because of the rock slides.

Don't forget that from the Tepic exit on the Periférico to the Ajijic exit on the Periférico is just about an hour by either the North or the South P's. I notice that the buses usually prefer the North over the South because of lighter traffic and fewer entrances with semaphores, etc. Of course the 54 entrance is about half way on that North Peiférico.

In summary, if I am going to Tepic I head South out of Jerez on the Tlatenango canyon route. If I am going to Ajijic I take the Aguascalientes route. I do not take the 54 route unless I want to go directly to the center of Guadalajara. Very seldom do I want to do that. I usually also drive the extra mileage to Lagos de Moreno because it is easy driving. And the tolls are not that important.

I hope this helps.

Adiós. jerezano.

jose

Dec 2, 2006, 9:53 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Zacatecas to Guadalajara via Aguascalientes

Thank You for your reply. I guess there is only one way to find out what is more convinient for any person. I will just do it. That being said, I will post my results when I return. I have Google Earth and from what I can see that Aguascalientes route seems pretty straight forward. However, Even google earth has its limitations and focus on particular areas are not that clear. Your help was aprreciated. By the way, my final Destination was Guadalajara almost zona centro coming from California through Juarez.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4