Mexico Connect
Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring

hippynomadgypsy

Jan 23, 2011, 2:13 PM

Post #1 of 9 (8870 views)

Shortcut

Social Security Disability

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know that an American Citizen can live in Mexico and still receive their social security checks, I am on Disability, does anyone know if I too am able to move and live in Mexico? thanks, i really enjoy reading all the posts here and everyone seems so friendly and helpful.

mazbook1

Jan 24, 2011, 5:09 PM

Post #2 of 9 (8741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hippynomadgypsy] Social Security Disability

As long as your Disability payment is deposited in your U.S. bank, no problem at all. You do give up ALL medical benefits you might have through SS, as SS doesn't pay any outside the U.S. providers. SS retirement payments can be deposited directly to a bank in México, but I haven't heard that this is possible for SS disability payments.

johnv

Jan 25, 2011, 6:31 AM

Post #3 of 9 (8683 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Social Security Disability

There are two kinds of Social Security Disability. SSI and SSD.

SSI is similar to welfare, and it is for people who do not have the required number of quarters of work to qualify for regular Social Security Disability (SSD). Those receiving SSI Disability must reside in the United States. It is illegal to live outside the United States or it's various protectorates, and collect SSI Disability.

SSD is exactly equal to full retirement Social Security, other than the age requirement. You CAN live outside the United States on SSD, and you can have your check deposited into a US bank, or any other arrangement allowed by the administration, including receiving or having the check deposited outside the United States.

Axixic

Jan 25, 2011, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 9 (8675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Social Security Disability

In Reply To
There are two kinds of Social Security Disability. SSI and SSD.

SSI is similar to welfare, and it is for people who do not have the required number of quarters of work to qualify for regular Social Security Disability (SSD). Those receiving SSI Disability must reside in the United States. It is illegal to live outside the United States or it's various protectorates, and collect SSI Disability.

SSD is exactly equal to full retirement Social Security, other than the age requirement. You CAN live outside the United States on SSD, and you can have your check deposited into a US bank, or any other arrangement allowed by the administration, including receiving or having the check deposited outside the United States.

Everything is correct but I add, someone who collects Social Security Supplemental Disability Income (Welfare) can leave the U.S. for for no more than 30 days a year.

RickS

Jan 26, 2011, 7:07 AM

Post #5 of 9 (8570 views)

Shortcut

What is the purpose/intent behind restricting SSI Disability recipients to only living in the US and traveling outside the US for only 30 days?

sparks

Jan 26, 2011, 7:16 AM

Post #6 of 9 (8568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Social Security Disability

I've heard that it has to do with having access to US health care that can monitor your condition in cases where it may not be a permanent disability. I don't see the purpose with a 'permanent' condition

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

surebought

Jan 26, 2011, 7:58 AM

Post #7 of 9 (8553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hippynomadgypsy] Social Security Disability

If you live close enough to the border to go up and get your mail once a month, then its easy to look like your living in the States with one of those Postal Annex addresses. But here there is a concerted effort for landlords not to accept SSI recipients as Tenants who are under the age of 62. So leave out that your on SSI when renting an abode.

joaquinx

Jan 26, 2011, 8:31 AM

Post #8 of 9 (8539 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Social Security Disability

Can't Post |

In Reply To
What is the purpose/intent behind restricting SSI Disability recipients to only living in the US and traveling outside the US for only 30 days?

I believe that it is because SSI is partially a state run program rather than a federal one like SS and SSD.

It is for those people over 65, blind, or disabled, and have low income and resources. It would be difficult to determine need outside of the US.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Jan 26, 2011, 8:38 AM)

hippynomadgypsy

Jan 28, 2011, 2:03 PM

Post #9 of 9 (8393 views)

Shortcut

john, thanks, that makes a lot of sense. i didnt think it was as easy as some described. i really appreciate everyones response. thank you

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4