Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

La Isla

Oct 29, 2009, 1:54 PM

Post #1 of 28 (15913 views)

Shortcut

Getting a CURP

Can't Post | Private Reply
A new translation client has asked me to get a CURP (Clave Única de Registro de Población), so I can be paid on the up-and-up. I've told where to go to (some government office here in downtown Mexico City) to apply and what documents I'll need to present (original and copy of my birth certificate plus original and copy of my FM3). Then a friend living in Oaxaca told me that now all non-citizens who want to apply for a CURP have to do so at Migración. Before I start running around this enormous city, I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone at MexConnect who's recently applied for the CURP, especially if they live in Mexico City.

Un millón de gracias,

La Isla

mazbook1

Oct 29, 2009, 4:37 PM

Post #2 of 28 (15892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Getting a CURP

I've never heard of Migración giving out CURPs. Normally you would go to Hacienda or the the offices of your Delegación to get it. There may be other places as well. It's simple, easy and free.

BUT, it will NOT allow you to be paid on the up-and-up by itself!!! To make that happen, you must have an RFC from Hacienda and to get that you must have the permiso in your FM3 from Migración for the actividades lucrativas you are engaged in. Get the CURP first, as it is so easy. Then go to Migración for the permiso, then to Hacienda for the RFC. To get all of this will be time consuming and may be difficult, particularly that with Migración. I have heard that Migración in la capital is the most difficult place in México to get the "working independently for pay" permiso, but that could have changed.

tashby

Oct 29, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #3 of 28 (15886 views)

Shortcut

I haven't done it yet......you know, on the "to do" list.....but I stuck my head into the delegación office in glamorous downtown Ajijic and I think they issue them right there, on the spot. Again, though, haven't done it.

I was told I needed to come back with FM3, Passport and comprobante. Plus copies, no doubt.

You know what? Since they're requiring EVERYBODY with a Mexican cell phone to register with a CURP number, I'll bet the folks at your nearest Telcel office, or the other one across the street, or the one on the corner, know the scoop.

La Isla

Oct 29, 2009, 4:55 PM

Post #4 of 28 (15885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Getting a CURP

I've had my FM3 for over a year now and didn't have any trouble getting one to work independently, mostly because I hired a lawyer to take care of things for me when I first applied. I got the first prórroga on my own this year, without any problems at all. I also have my RFC and recibos. Up to now, I haven't needed a CURP, so I never got around to getting one. It does look like some categories of foreigners do get the CURP at INM, but according to some information I just saw posted in the INM website, I don't fall into any of these groups. I will make some phone calls tomorrow to find out what I should do.

Thanks for your post, mazbook1.

gpkgto

Oct 29, 2009, 5:05 PM

Post #5 of 28 (15879 views)

Shortcut

A notario can get the RFC/CURP for you right from his/her office--but there will be a charge.
You can call 1-800-INFOSAT (4636728) for information about RCF/CURP issues.

La Isla

Oct 29, 2009, 5:15 PM

Post #6 of 28 (15873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Getting a CURP

I've been told for ages that getting a CURP is quick and easy (and free). My problem now is figuring out where to go to pick one up. I'll try the INFOSAT number so kindly provided by gpkisner and see if they can give me a straight answer.

Thanks to all who've responded to my post!

Camille

Oct 29, 2009, 6:57 PM

Post #7 of 28 (15847 views)

Shortcut

But I still don't understand the relationship between TelCel and CURP..... seems like ol' Carlos would realize he's denying tourists here for a month or so the right to bear cells. Makes no sense at all to me.

tonyburton / Moderator

Oct 29, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #8 of 28 (15840 views)

Shortcut

You should be able to get your CURP right here: http://www.emexico.gob.mx/...Mex_Consulta_tu_CURP

La Isla

Oct 29, 2009, 7:32 PM

Post #9 of 28 (15828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Getting a CURP

In Reply To
You should be able to get your CURP right here: http://www.emexico.gob.mx/...Mex_Consulta_tu_CURP

This link allows you to look for your CURP if you already have one; it does not allow you to apply for one.

ronau

Oct 29, 2009, 7:34 PM

Post #10 of 28 (15826 views)

Shortcut

I kept getting text messages on my cell phone urging me to register or eventually lose service so I finally broke down and decided to go get my CURP especially because everyone said it was so easy and free. Well it was free but not quite as easy as I had expected. I went to the Presidencia in the small town where I live and they directed me to the office of Registro Civil where they do marriage, birth, and death certificates. When I told the woman at the counter what I wanted she spent quite a while arguing with me that only Mexican citizens can obtain a CURP and finally relented and went for a supervisor after I told her that the phone company told me to do this and they could not be wrong. The supervisor agreed that yes I could get a CURP but there was a special form for foreigners and they did not keep it there because they had never been asked for one. She said she would call the state capital and have the form faxed and would I please return in two days. In the meantime she asked for copies of my FM3 but had no use at all for my birth certificate, translated or otherwise. In 15 minutes I returned with the copies and she then told me to come back in an hour and she would have my number. Sure enough she did, and I immediately used it to register my cell online and it worked perfectly. For the letters that would have been derived from my mother's name they simply used "X"s. Not such a bad experience and now I have the number.

tonyburton / Moderator

Oct 30, 2009, 7:08 AM

Post #11 of 28 (15765 views)

Shortcut

1. You said you had an RFC - in this case you may just find (as I did) that you are already in the system via the weblink I gave you.
2. Alternatively, use the link from http://curp.troyaestrategias.com/ to go to the on-line system at: http://www.tramitanet.gob.mx/index.html where you will find that you can apply for and get a print-out of your CURP. Have I used this method myself? No, because I found that my CURP was already in the system.

gpkgto

Oct 30, 2009, 8:30 AM

Post #12 of 28 (15741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Getting a CURP

I believe there is a new law requiring registration of cel phones--supposedly to fight crime.

esperanza

Oct 30, 2009, 8:39 AM

Post #13 of 28 (15739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Getting a CURP

You'll need to be able to read Spanish, but this website explains it all:

http://www.renaut.gob.mx/RENAUT/?page=preguntas

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mcm

Oct 30, 2009, 11:00 AM

Post #14 of 28 (15700 views)

Shortcut

I was able to get a CURP at the STATE Registro Civil, here in Merida, Yucatan. I showed my FM-3 (they weren't interested in the passport). No forms to fill out (the official applies online), and no copies needed. I also got a CURP for my husband, using his FM-3 (he wasn't present).

I'm sure the procedure differs from state to state, but I suggest you try the Registro Civil (some years ago, I tried to get my CURP at the MUNICIPAL Registro Civil, but they wouldn't issue me one because my FM-3 was missing a crucial number).

Some other foreigners in Merida have been issued CURPs through Migracion, either after making a special request, or automatically, when they got their new FM-3 booklets.

Once I had the CURP, I followed the instructions on the Telcel web page, to register my cellphone. No problem.

I also have an RFC (issued in conjunction with my Scotiabank account), which I presume is used by Hacienda to track taxes withheld from interest income.

gpkgto

Oct 30, 2009, 11:22 AM

Post #15 of 28 (15690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Getting a CURP

Thanks--I have had my phone for several years but I guess I better register it before April!!

sanjuan

Oct 30, 2009, 12:06 PM

Post #16 of 28 (15672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Getting a CURP

It may just be me but I can't see how to get a CURP number there. It seems you already have to have a CURP and/or a Federal Tax number (whatever that is).

esperanza

Oct 30, 2009, 1:00 PM

Post #17 of 28 (15661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] Getting a CURP

The site isn't for getting a CURP--it explains why you need one.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

morgaine7

Oct 30, 2009, 1:31 PM

Post #18 of 28 (15657 views)

Shortcut

On the question of getting the CURP at INM, is this the page you mean?
http://www.inami.gob.mx/index.php?page/CURP
I'm going next week to pick up my renewed FM2 and will try to remember to ask for a CURP. I recently bought a cell phone in September, and every time I make a call it reminds me to register.

Kate

La Isla

Oct 30, 2009, 2:38 PM

Post #19 of 28 (15644 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Getting a CURP

In Reply To
On the question of getting the CURP at INM, is this the page you mean?
http://www.inami.gob.mx/index.php?page/CURP
Kate

Yes, that´s the one. Since I have an FM3, making me a "no inmigrante", I can't get the CURP at Migración,

La Isla

Oct 30, 2009, 2:40 PM

Post #20 of 28 (15643 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Getting a CURP

In Reply To

That makes sense. I can't see how you'd be able to apply for one online, considering all the documents you need to present when you apply.

sanjuan

Oct 30, 2009, 2:46 PM

Post #21 of 28 (15637 views)

Shortcut

I agree. I was surprised when tonyburton said you could apply online.

In Reply To

In Reply To

That makes sense. I can't see how you'd be able to apply for one online, considering all the documents you need to present when you apply.

tonyburton / Moderator

Oct 30, 2009, 6:36 PM

Post #22 of 28 (15593 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] Getting a CURP

My comments were only meant to apply to anyone who already had an RFC, as you had indicated was your situation.
Several people I know discovered that by entering their RFC and all relevant details, they already had a CURP.
Now, it may well be that they all had something in common that I'm not aware of. In my case, I have never to my knowledge applied for a CURP, yet I have one and sure enough it showed up when I entered my RFC (and other relevant details).
I entirely agree that if you are not in the system, you will have to apply for a CURP, following the procedure/s explained in other posts.

La Isla

Nov 3, 2009, 10:47 AM

Post #23 of 28 (15483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Getting a CURP

Just to tie up some of the loose ends this thread has generated: This morning I went to the INEGI (Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía) office in downtown Mexico City for my 10:10 am appointment to get my CURP. I waited about 10 minutes to turn in my documents (passport and copy of my passport photo page and FM3 and copies of pertinent pages of same) and another half hour to get the CURP. No big deal after all my fussing .

wynco

Mar 9, 2010, 12:54 PM

Post #24 of 28 (11494 views)

Shortcut

hi can YOU TELL me the contact for the place in Mexico City for the curp - I think I will apply for one if it is that easy - am no imigrado finished with all the fms so might as well go all the way. thanks Wynco

La Isla

Mar 9, 2010, 4:52 PM

Post #25 of 28 (11446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wynco] Getting a CURP

Hi,

It's been a few months since I got my CURP in Mexico City, and now I can't find the webpage I used to figure out how to do it. However, if you go to this link, you should be able to find the módulo nearest your house: http://curp.troyaestrategias.com/directorio.htm. Click on Distrito Federal to get the info you need. You'll need to call the phone number given at the location you choose to find out exactly what documents you need to bring with you. Good luck!

(This post was edited by esperanza on Mar 9, 2010, 5:50 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4