Mexico Connect
Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring

cowgirlmx

May 10, 2013, 8:32 AM

Post #1 of 16 (1482 views)

Shortcut

Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all!

I currently have an FM2, I am married to a Mexican and have a Mexican child. I am coming up on my 2 years total here in Mexico at the end of June.

My attorneys explained that because of my son and husband, and my two years, that I will now have the Residente Permanente visa.

They said that I will now be able to get my IFE as well. I am wondering, does that mean that I will also be able to get my Mexican Passport??

Thanks in advance for your answers/comments!

La Isla

May 10, 2013, 10:05 AM

Post #2 of 16 (1446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cowgirlmx] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

In Reply To
Hi all!

I currently have an FM2, I am married to a Mexican and have a Mexican child. I am coming up on my 2 years total here in Mexico at the end of June.

My attorneys explained that because of my son and husband, and my two years, that I will now have the Residente Permanente visa.

They said that I will now be able to get my IFE as well. I am wondering, does that mean that I will also be able to get my Mexican Passport??

An IFE ID is a card given to Mexican citizens by the Instituto Federal Electoral that allows them to vote. A holder of a RP visa is not a citizen. Therefore, I doubt very much if you will be given an IFE once you have your RP visa.

esperanza

May 10, 2013, 10:37 AM

Post #3 of 16 (1436 views)

Shortcut

La Isla is correct. Once you have a Residente Permanente visa (note that it is a VISA, for foreigners), you will not be a Mexican citizen, and only citizens have passports and the credencial (IFE voter's card).

Once you can prove that you have been married for two years to your Mexican husband, you can apply for actual Mexican citizenship. That process takes about a year (más o menos) to complete. Once you are granted your naturalization, you can apply for a Mexican passport as well as a credencial.

If you were married outside the country, you need to register your marriage with the Registro Civil that serves your area. If you were married in Mexico, you will want to make sure that your marriage is registered.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

cowgirlmx

May 10, 2013, 11:38 AM

Post #4 of 16 (1419 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

Hmmmm OK, so my attorneys must be smoking something because this AM they confirmed my question that yes I would be able to get an IFE.

They also said that given the new laws that I have to complete another 2 years under the new visa before being able to apply for citizenship.

Regarding the marriage registration - already done. We have the huge, long, thumbprinted version from Colima, done right after we got here.

The attorney firm is not small either, they are Fragomen Global, they handle all of the immigration for HP where I work (worldwide).

I hope they don't turn out to be idiots.

Intercasa - can you confirm what the other ladies have shared here??

joaquinx

May 10, 2013, 12:01 PM

Post #5 of 16 (1411 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The attorney firm is not small either, they are Fragomen Global, they handle all of the immigration for HP where I work (worldwide).

I would trust the law firm rather than those of us who have lived in Mexico for years. Why not grab your marriage certificate, your passport, your current visa and go down to your local INM office and ask them. After that go over to the nearest IFE office and ask them. Those two agencies are the ones who issue visas and IFE cards. ˇSuerte!
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

AlanMexicali

May 10, 2013, 12:05 PM

Post #6 of 16 (1406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

In Reply To

In Reply To

I would trust the law firm rather than those of us who have lived in Mexico for years. Why not grab your marriage certificate, your passport, your current visa and go down to your local INM office and ask them. After that go over to the nearest IFE office and ask them. Those two agencies are the ones who issue visas and IFE cards. ˇSuerte!

http://www.ife.org.mx/portal/site/ifev2

Citizens only!

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 10, 2013, 12:10 PM)

esperanza

May 10, 2013, 1:10 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1380 views)

Shortcut

Your attorneys are definitely smoking something. You HAVE to be a citizen to vote, and you HAVE to have been married to a Mexican for two years before you can apply for citizenship. If your marriage was two or more years ago, I'd skip Permanente altogether and go straight for naturalization.

Read here: http://www.sre.gob.mx

joaquinx

May 10, 2013, 1:39 PM

Post #8 of 16 (1364 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
. . . you HAVE to have been married to a Mexican for two years before you can apply for citizenship. If your marriage was two or more years ago, I'd skip Permanente altogether and go straight for naturalization.

This seems to be what the attorneys are alluding. Perhaps their use of the word IFE is another way of saying citizenship.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

esperanza

May 10, 2013, 1:59 PM

Post #9 of 16 (1354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

In Reply To

In Reply To
. . . you HAVE to have been married to a Mexican for two years before you can apply for citizenship. If your marriage was two or more years ago, I'd skip Permanente altogether and go straight for naturalization.

This seems to be what the attorneys are alluding. Perhaps their use of the word IFE is another way of saying citizenship.

Then they should use the correct terminology and not confuse their clients.

YucaLandia

May 10, 2013, 2:08 PM

Post #10 of 16 (1349 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi all!

Maybe we have just been too literal when interpreting what cowgirlmx writes about what her attorneys told her?

The attorneys may have just been describing the things she is eligible to apply for and qualify for - as the spouse of 2 years of a Mexican and mother of a Mexican.

1. She now qualifies for Permanent Residency under INMs Familiar provisions.
2. She now qualifies to apply for Naturalized Citizenship.

If she gets citizenship, then:
3. She would be eligible to apply for an IFE card .

???
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

cowgirlmx

May 10, 2013, 2:21 PM

Post #11 of 16 (1337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

Thanks Yucalandia!

Actually my post was pretty dead on. They said that they had to switch me to the Residente Permanente because I have no other option.

They said that I CANNOT apply for Citizenship until I complete an ADDITIONAL two years with my new Residente Permanente card...

And when I asked them what I could do with the new card, such as IFE etc.. They said that Yes, I could get my IFE with the new card. FAIL...

So basically I am going to do the following. Get the residente permanente card with them so I don't have to worry about future renewals etc and they are paying for it, so it is really no skin off of my nose.

Then I am going to go see Spencer to start my Naturalization process to become a citizen.

That way I am compliant with my work and their requirement to use these attorneys, I dont have to worry about renewing next year or ever again and I am free once again to work with the attorney of my choosing.

La Isla

May 10, 2013, 4:35 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1303 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks Yucalandia!

Actually my post was pretty dead on. They said that they had to switch me to the Residente Permanente because I have no other option.

They said that I CANNOT apply for Citizenship until I complete an ADDITIONAL two years with my new Residente Permanente card...

And when I asked them what I could do with the new card, such as IFE etc.. They said that Yes, I could get my IFE with the new card. FAIL...

By "new card", do you mean Residente Permanente or a card certifying you are a citizen?

cowgirlmx

May 10, 2013, 5:04 PM

Post #13 of 16 (1292 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

Residente Permanente, I just didn't feel like typing it out again, since I did several other times in the post :p

esperanza

May 10, 2013, 6:35 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1277 views)

Shortcut

Cowgirl, ask Spencer. I think your attorneys are also wrong about the timeline once you get Permanente. If you've been married and registered for two years, IMHO (and I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV) you're good to go directly to citizenship WITHOUT applying for Permanante.

sioux4noff

May 10, 2013, 7:19 PM

Post #15 of 16 (1261 views)

Shortcut

But doesn't she have to have some type of valid visa while the citizenship application, acceptance and whatever are going on?

YucaLandia

May 10, 2013, 7:32 PM

Post #16 of 16 (1257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Now FM2, changing to Residente Permanente: Questions?

Sioux is correct. The SRE law specifies that the applicant must have a valid INM permit in force to qualify for citizenship. That's why so many past citizenship applicants got their Inmigrado status first, and then applied for naturalization later. Since SRE's evaluation period can take over a year, it helps to have permanent residency, rather than paying for multiple years of temporary residency permits.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4