Mexico Connect
Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring

viktoremski

Mar 5, 2009, 2:06 PM

Post #1 of 8 (4859 views)

Shortcut

FM3, FM2, CITIZENSHIP CONFUSION

Can't Post | Private Reply
About three years ago, I was told, both on this and other forums that changing status from FM3 to FM2 is an unnecessary expense, since the only requirement to apply for citizenship is five years of permanent residence in Mexico, doesn't matter if one has FM3 or FM2. At that time I also checked "Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores" english version website, and it also mentions the five year residency requirement only, and nothing about FM2. Another thing that I experienced at that time was that when I asked at "Instituto Nacional de Migracion" in Tijuana if I could apply to have my status changed to FM2, I was told that I couldn't do that before completing five years with FM3.
Recently I contacted via e-mail a lawyer in Tijuana, and asked him about this. He told me that one actually has to change his/her status to FM2 first. He quoted spanish version website of "Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores". I checked that, and he was right: the spanish version does mention the need of having FM2 when applying for citizenship. He said however that I could apply for FM2 now, without having to wait to complete five years with FM3, and then I could apply for citizenship when my total residency time (with FM3 and with FM2 combined) is five years.
Then again, the actual citizenship application does not mention specifically FM2.
Of course the lawyer wants to charge quite a lot for what I know I could do myself. The problem is that if I decide to try to change my status to FM2 without a lawyer, they are probably going to tell me to wait until five years are over at the "Instituto Nacional de Migracion", just like they did before. And since I'm not even sure that FM2 is really required for citizenship, I simply don't know what I should do.
Does anyone have a clue what the true answer to this misinformation is?

Rolly

Mar 5, 2009, 2:21 PM

Post #2 of 8 (4844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] FM3, FM2, CITIZENSHIP CONFUSION

Until recently one could go directly from FM3 to citizenship, but not anymore. Now one must have five years with an FM2.

The law allows you to switch from FM3 to FM2 at any time, but some INM offices have their own rules, so you may have run into this problem in TJ.

Rolly Pirate

morgaine7

Mar 5, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #3 of 8 (4818 views)

Shortcut

I recently got my FM2 in La Paz, BCS, after two years on an FM3. This was without a lawyer or other representative, and they didn't make me pay until my application was approved. But each INM office is different, and the rules change, so you'll need to check with the folks in your area.

If eligibility for citizenship is important to you, I'd say go for the FM2. Who knows what the citizenship requirements will be in 4-5 years, but it seems safer than hoping they'll "count" the FM3 time.

Kate

esperanza

Mar 6, 2009, 7:09 AM

Post #4 of 8 (4774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM3, FM2, CITIZENSHIP CONFUSION

Here in Morelia, INM requires that a person have the FM-3 for the full five years before changing his/her immigration status to the FM-2.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

viktoremski

Mar 6, 2009, 12:42 PM

Post #5 of 8 (4732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM3, FM2, CITIZENSHIP CONFUSION

Thanks Rolly for your reply. Next time I go to extand my FM3, I'll try again to see if they would let me apply for FM2. If not, I'll just have to cool off, wait for another year till my five years are over, apply for FM2 then, and wait five more years to apply for the citizenship. Thanks again.

viktoremski

Mar 6, 2009, 12:45 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] FM3, FM2, CITIZENSHIP CONFUSION

Thanks morgaine7 and esperanza for your input, as well as rolly, thank you all.

viktoremski

Mar 6, 2009, 1:52 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] FM3, FM2, CITIZENSHIP CONFUSION

One more thing - a technical detail - I would like to ask about:
When your FM3 totals five years and you go to INM, do you apply for FM2 instead of renewing FM3, or do you have to renew FM3 for another five years first, and then apply for FM2?
Thanks

Rolly

Mar 6, 2009, 2:21 PM

Post #8 of 8 (4712 views)

Shortcut

No

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4