jerezano

Sep 19, 2009, 7:15 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4183 views)

Shortcut

Violence yesterday in Zacatecas State

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all,

A 17 YEAR OLD GIRL KILLED IN CROSSFIRE BETWEEN AUTHORITIES AND UNKNOWNS

The "Sol de Zacatecas" of today the 19th of September 2009 reports the death of an innocent traveler caught in a violent crossfire at 7:30 PM yesterday on the highway between Morelos (outside of Zacatecas) and Fresnillo.

The Federal authorities at Morelos apparently tried to stop a group of four vehicles, two Suburbans, two Hummers and a pickup, all of which fled and were pursued by the Federal authorities. At kilometer 250 in front of the CEREZO at Calera there was an exchange of shots and the family from Nuevo Leon was caught in the crossfire with the niece of 17 being shot. At the toll booth in Calera de Victor Rosales the unknown armed group shot the tires of a semitrailer and a tank truck in an [apparently successful] effort to block the pursuit and then continued their flight.

The unfortunate family with the wounded girl immediately called 066 but had to wait 20 minutes before the arrival of an ambulance and the victim died a couple of hours later in the hospital.

It should be noted that this is the second violent incident in a week here in Zacatecas. The other being the interception last Monday [the 14th] by an unknown armed group of the Governor's convoy en-route from Fresnillo to Sombrerete in which two persons were injured.

In writing about the same incident "La Jornada" of today stated that the girl killed was 16 instead of 17, that the pursuit was provoked by the unknown armed group which attacked the Federal Police following them from a distance of 500 meters [about 1500 feet] , and that when the assailants began their flight they fired at the pickup in which the girl was a passenger.

At the toll booth in Calera the fugitives broke through without stopping . At that point they abandoned a pickup with three bullet holes in the back window and blood in the cabin.

A search in Fresnillo for the other vehicles proved fruitless.

Hasta pronto, jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Sep 19, 2009, 10:01 AM)

raferguson

Sep 19, 2009, 10:20 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Violence yesterday in Zacatecas State

To me, this is very sad to read. We really liked Zacatecas. I always thought of Zacatecas as a peaceful state. I have read La Imagen de Zacatecas for 10 years or more. The paper always had a small town paper feel, and the crime reports were small things, not shootouts between drug gangs and police.

I have to interpret this as an example of the negative changes that are happening in Mexico.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

chinagringo

Sep 20, 2009, 6:41 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Violence yesterday in Zacatecas State

Sorry to hear that incidents are starting once again in Zacatecas State!

On our way NOB, we stayed overnight in Zacatecas and I was talking to the bellhop at the hotel. He had moved back to Zacatecas from CA because of the economy in CA. During our conversation, he was explaining prior events in the area and referred to the cartel as ROACHES, that one can never git rid of. While he was proud of the fact that things had quieted down, he was enough of a realist to recognize that they had not gone away for good.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Sep 20, 2009, 7:34 AM)

gpkgto

Sep 20, 2009, 7:19 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Violence yesterday in Zacatecas State

Being NOB is no safeguard anymore--there are stories everyday about narco activities in the states. People have to stop buying drugs and the US has to stop supplying the WORLD with guns and bullets.

chinagringo

Sep 20, 2009, 7:37 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpkisner] Violence yesterday in Zacatecas State

I agree wholeheartedly! In fact, I certainly cannot remember a time in recent history where living NOB was a safeguard against the criminal element. Real life examples are evident daily here in Albuquerque and other cities across the U.S.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ncferret

Sep 23, 2009, 8:45 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Violence yesterday in Zacatecas State

Sure, no where is 100% safe, but let's be realistic. Violence here in parts of Mexico is much worse than it is NOB right now.

Here's one little example. In Los Angeles County, population TEN MILLION, the number of murders so far in 2009 is 178. In Mazatlan County, population around 500,000, we are on track to top 100 murders in just the month of September and it looks like we will set a new record this year topping the 1000 mark. In fact, the state of Sinaloa just got ranked the most violent in Mexico beating out ALL the border states. Sure, the murders are mostly gang/drug related here as they probably are in LA as well, but let's not stick our heads in the sand. And if you don't like my choice of LA County, then take a look at any other US area you choose. Even Detriot, the most violent city in the US, has 1/2 the number of murders we do and twice the population.

Along with the murders and gang violence comes car thefts, bank robberies, and a whole host of related activity. This is not the Mexico I moved to 5 years ago.

(This post was edited by ncferret on Sep 23, 2009, 9:04 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4