Mexico Connect
Forums > General > General Forum

yodave

Jan 10, 2012, 7:13 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2163 views)

Shortcut

Tenencia for used cars?

Can't Post | Private Reply
It's my understanding that one no longer has to pay Tenencia on any NEW car bought at a price under $250,000 pesos.

However, do you have to pay a Tenencia if you buy a used car(at any price)?

I am in the state of Guanajuato and am getting different answers from different folks here about this. The answer I would like to believe is that "as of Jan 2012, one only has to pay a "referendo" on ANY car bought under the $250K amount and the "referendo" is a minimum fee of around 700 pesos".

Can any one out there confirm if this "referendo" payment is what I should expect when buying a used car?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yo Dave

sfmacaws

Jan 10, 2012, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yodave] Tenencia for used cars?

My understanding is that while the federal govt has stopped collecting the tenencia from the states they have left it up to the states to decide if they will continue the tax. Answers from someone in another state are probably not valid for you. You may have to go down to your local office and ask, they are the ones that will decide anyway no matter what someone tells you.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

tashby

Jan 10, 2012, 6:26 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2033 views)

Shortcut

You may have to go down to your local office and ask, they are the ones that will decide anyway no matter what someone tells you.

That sounds right to me. Here in Jalisco, the state was apparently going to continue collecting, but the stink-storm it created caused them to back off. At least that's what I've read....

I'll be renewing very soon, and will see if we have to pay it on our already-bought car. But that info will almost certainly be worthless to you since you're in Guanajuato, and you're looking to buy, not just renew.

Welcome to the Land of Gray Areas!

(This post was edited by tashby on Jan 10, 2012, 6:33 PM)

DavidHF

Jan 11, 2012, 6:40 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Tenencia for used cars?

No more Tenencia in Jalisco when you renew. Cost is 450 Pesos less 15%.

fordmexico

Jan 11, 2012, 2:56 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1934 views)

Shortcut

Here is a link from the State of Guanajuato. The site states " un estado donde no pagas tenecia apartir de Enero de 2012" Be aware that you may have to pay "back tenecia" if it was not paid in earlier years. The site also has a pay on line link where you can enter the plate number "numero de placas" or the REV ( Registro Estatal Vehicular (REV), (lo puedes consultar en tu tarjeta de circulación) to determine if back tenecia is owed and what the 2012 refrendo is.

http://sfa.guanajuato.gob.mx/

Pay on Line Link

http://sfa.guanajuato.gob.mx/tenencia/2012/

esperanza

Jan 11, 2012, 3:27 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Tenencia for used cars?

Unless your vehicle is valued at more than 350,000 pesos, you also pay no tenencia in Mexico City--as long as you pay your refrendo (license plate renewal) and any back tenencia by April 2, 2012. If you fail to pay what you owe by April 2, you are liable for the full amount of the 2012 tenencia (info in this morning's El Universal).

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4