Mexico Connect
Forums > Areas > Southern Mexico

sfmacaws

Dec 23, 2006, 12:56 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4242 views)

Shortcut

Credit Card Fraud at CostCo Cancun

Can't Post | Private Reply
Warning, this is kind of long and convoluted.

2 days ago we went to CostCo Cancun to buy a TV. We got a great Phillips 23" flat screen and it included a DVD player and recorder - great deal. The listed price was a little more than $9500p. When I got to the check out, the skew wouldn't read and the checker sent another girl over to get the info. She came back with it written on her hand and when it rang up, the price was $9111p. My friend and I talked about that on the way to the door, frankly we were congratulating ourselves on the mistake.

At the door, a security guy - not just a flunky check the receipt person but a guy with a radio and who others treated as important - checked our receipt and immediately said there was an error. He told me (in spanish) that the skew was wrong and indeed the receipt said surround house instead of whatever we had. He said, don't worry the price is lower than you paid but it has to be switched as it is wrong in the computer.

OK. Back we go to the check stand, lots of standing around with smiles and apologies from the checker while we wait for the guy with the register key and then while she finishes checking out people who had gotten in her line. Finally, she put a cerrado sign on her register and the guy with the key returned and he refunded the original amount to my credit card and re-rang it. Now the receipt listed the correct TV wDVD and the price had gone down even more. It was now $8700p. I'm happy, smiles all around and we leave.

OH! I forgot that when she was charging my Visa she put it under the receipt and ran another card over it which made an impression of the card like the old CC machines used to do. At the time I remember thinking 'how clever'. Dummy! She also checked my ID, driver's license, but since that is written on the back of my Visa I didn't question that. Of course, it's written in english and she did not appear to speak english. All this only hit me later.

When we got home, I got a message on my cell phone to call Visa security. Here's what they said. They saw my initial purchase of the TV at say 5:21pm, at 5:41pm there was an attempt to purchase $750US over the internet from Cross purses site, it was denied. Then at 5:50pm the refund of my initial purchase went through and the new charge for the TV. How Visa knew to accept one and not the other has been puzzling me, perhaps because one was in person and the other was online.

They have now shut off my card for fraud since the number is still out there. This is a major hassle for me as I have about 10 bills that are paid automatically on that card so I have to call them all. Plus of course, I won't have the card until I can make arrangements to have it FedEx'd to me here.

I haven't gone back to CostCo to report it yet. It's an hour drive and being it is right before xmas I doubt that anyone with any authority is there. I'll do it after the holiday just because I think I should, I don't have a lot of hope anything will be done.

Trying to think it out, my guess is that the girl at the register and the security guy are in on it and perhaps the guy with the key that refunded the charge. They didn't get anything and if the charge with Cross had gone through I think the item would have to have been shipped within the US but perhaps not. I am also guessing that the CostCo people just sell the number and guarantee a stall of half an hour for the buyer to use it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Rolly

Dec 23, 2006, 1:39 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Credit Card Fraud at CostCo Cancun

I bought some computer gear last week. Because it was going to be a large purchase, I contacted my credit card company (Bank of America) to forewarn them. When I made the purchase, the fraud control folks got involved and had to be satisfied that it was legit before the purchase could be approved. I had to talk with them and answer a bunch of identifying questions before they would approve the purchase. Then, when I got home there was a message that my card was frozen until I could contact them; where upon we went through the whole thing again. I thought it was a bit of overkill, but it's their money so I guess they are wise to protect it. Several years ago another card of mine was hit for $7,000+ dollars in Mexico.

Rolly Pirate

jacpowell

Dec 23, 2006, 2:27 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Credit Card Fraud at CostCo Cancun

This doesn't happen only in Mexico, of course. We have had calls from Visa wanting to know if we had bought $1,500 worth of shoes. And we hadn't. We canceled our card and were issued a new one. Visa covered the expense. They are not particularly interested in pursuing the folks who commit the fraud, because that's expensive for them.

Sometimes, the first time we charge something far from home, or abroad, Visa will send up a signal and we have to demonstrate who we are. That makes us feel good.

arbon

Dec 23, 2006, 5:33 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4215 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
As the woman looks at the receipt, while walking very fast to the car in the parking lot, she yells at her husband,

"START THE CAR" "START THE CAR"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sfmacaws

Jan 4, 2007, 1:00 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4163 views)

Shortcut

I went back to CostCo yesterday, for myself I had to tell them what had happened. I asked for the manager and when he came over I was so hoping he spoke english, but no. I'm pretty proud of myself actually as I was able to explain this whole deal to him in spanish. He listened attentively, asked lots of questions, copied the receipts with cashier's name on them and then thanked me profusely and said he was going to go and pull the video from that date. He asked if there was anything he could do for me as he appreciated my coming to him with the information. I said no, I just felt I should tell him. It all ended very nicely and I, at least, felt better. That's what it was all about anyway, my feeling that I had done my part. Now, if I just had my credit card again I'd be happy.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4