Forums > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mensamia

Mar 1, 2010, 11:15 AM

Post #1 of 42 (9434 views)

Shortcut

crime rates in Chapala and region

Can't Post | Private Reply
In my last visit to Chapala in early February I noticed much more graffiti than in 2007, angry vivid scrawls on buildings. It seemed to be an expression of anger... or is this teenage angst of 2010?

What about crime, do you think it is rising because of the economy... and retired expats are easy pickings?
I am thinking of moving to the area but want to be sure that it is the place for me. I have begun my research on subjects that matter in my decision making. Crime is a major deal breaker, I need calm at this stage of my life. :)

Here is a link to a crime stats page.

http://www.lakesidecrime.com/mainmenu/contact.php

thanks in advance, I initially posted this in the wrong forum, will post all three parts here.

mensamia

Mar 1, 2010, 11:20 AM

Post #2 of 42 (9423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mensamia] crime rates in Chapala and region

this is from the Guadalajara newspaper

Ajijic plagued by fall crime wave Friday, November 13 2009 14:24 Dale Hoyt Palfrey
Ajijic residents are being advised to be on guard and step up security precautions to combat a crime wave that has hit the village over the past several weeks.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 1, 2010, 2:14 PM)

mensamia

Mar 1, 2010, 11:25 AM

Post #3 of 42 (9420 views)

Shortcut

Here is another news item from Guadalajara newspaper Lakeside rocked by four homicides in two days Thursday, December 24 2009 10:16 Dale Hoyt Palfrey
Authorities confirmed four murders in the north shore area late last week in what appears to be three unrelated cases.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 1, 2010, 2:14 PM)

Rolly

Mar 1, 2010, 11:52 AM

Post #4 of 42 (9412 views)

Shortcut

Re: Posting copyrighted material

A reminder -- Posting copyrighted material is not appropriate. It's OK to post a link and a first paragraph or, better, a brief summary. Many news organizations take copyright abuse seriously.

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Mar 1, 2010, 1:40 PM

Post #5 of 42 (9392 views)

Shortcut

I don't see the carjackings listed on that page. A hint is to leave your fancy vehicle up north - especially SUV's

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

tonyburton

Mar 1, 2010, 2:17 PM

Post #6 of 42 (9369 views)

Shortcut

You shouldn't believe everything you read on forums. Your first posting may have been in the wrong place, but since it concerned crime rates, and you quoted a Guadalajara paper was left right where you put it. Repeating the same posts on a second forum is not helpful to future searches performed by newcomers to the site, and is something we strongly discourage. I have locked the other thread, so only this one is now active. For the reasons stated by Rolly, I have also edited the complete articles that were copied into posts 2 and 3. Readers interested in reading the full text can access them on the Guadalajara Reporter website.

don pedro

Mar 2, 2010, 8:40 AM

Post #7 of 42 (9289 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
In my last visit to Chapala in early February I noticed much more graffiti than in 2007, angry vivid scrawls on buildings. It seemed to be an expression of anger...

Are you sure your español is up to interpreting the graffiti or do you just have a runaway imagination? i would suggest the latter-SNORK!
this is not the first instance a visitor has put a nob spin on something here. Graffiti exists everywhere from the largest cities to the smallest burgs and whistle stops. it is a cultural thang-is all.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

(This post was edited by don pedro on Mar 2, 2010, 11:50 AM)

husker

Mar 2, 2010, 10:01 AM

Post #8 of 42 (9262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] crime rates in Chapala and region

I'm certianly glad that culture has not come to Catemaco

arbon

Mar 2, 2010, 10:11 AM

Post #9 of 42 (9254 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"or is this teenage angst of 2010?"

That's what it feels like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mensamia

Mar 4, 2010, 10:35 AM

Post #10 of 42 (9136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [don pedro] crime rates in Chapala and region

when it stays up, it is an apathy thing, yall

mensamia

Mar 4, 2010, 10:36 AM

Post #11 of 42 (9135 views)

Shortcut

excuse me.. meant to say when it stays up, its an apathy thing - is all :) guess this is why i never made it as a comedian :)

mensamia

May 6, 2010, 8:37 PM

Post #12 of 42 (8373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] crime rates in Chapala and region

Now that the chief of police has been gunned down at 1:30 in the afternoon on main street in Chapala, perhaps these threads on crime will be taken more seriously. Another thing, up here NOB, we can post a link to a newpaper article with no problem. So it makes me wonder if it was the context of the article (crime) that suddenly brought a slew of rules out.

Sweeping crime under the rug will not get rid of it, talking about it might just help a bit for those who live there. And as for those who are deciding whether or not to live there, the discussion on crime should be accessible to them also.

What I am reading (correct me if wrong) is the drug dealers feel a sense of omnipotence and are in a war with the police who make considerably less money. I am also reading that because they are a visible minority, gringos are an easy target for bribery and extortion at best and kidnapping and murder at worst. I have read of those who drive old beat up cars in the hopes of being non-distinguishable but how does one change blue eyes or pale skin?

Are you at least permitted to have self-defense weapons like a handgun?

esperanza

May 6, 2010, 9:38 PM

Post #13 of 42 (8353 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Here is another news item from Guadalajara newspaper Lakeside rocked by four homicides in two days Thursday, December 24 2009 10:16 Dale Hoyt Palfrey
Authorities confirmed four murders in the north shore area late last week in what appears to be three unrelated cases.

Once in a while this sort of crime--always shocking--hits Lake Chapala. Back in late 1998-early 1999, there were also four murders in Ajijic: two elderly people were killed in their home by the home's owner, who had wanted to evict them but could not due to an agreement that the homeowner's deceased father had signed with the tenants. That killer has never been brought to justice.

In a separate case, a foreign resident at Lakeside hired to young Mexican men to kill an American couple. The motive was a property dispute. The Mexican men and the foreigner were all jailed; the foreigner died in the Chapala jail. I don't know the outcome of the case against the young Mexican men.

So: this kind of occasional violence is nothing new.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mensamia

May 7, 2010, 6:02 AM

Post #14 of 42 (8323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] crime rates in Chapala and region

In Reply To

In Reply To

Once in a while this sort of crime--always shocking--hits Lake Chapala. Back in late 1998-early 1999, there were also four murders in Ajijic: two elderly people were killed in their home by the home's owner, who had wanted to evict them but could not due to an agreement that the homeowner's deceased father had signed with the tenants. That killer has never been brought to justice.

In a separate case, a foreign resident at Lakeside hired to young Mexican men to kill an American couple. The motive was a property dispute. The Mexican men and the foreigner were all jailed; the foreigner died in the Chapala jail. I don't know the outcome of the case against the young Mexican men.

So: this kind of occasional violence is nothing new.

Hound Dog

May 7, 2010, 8:34 AM

Post #15 of 42 (8287 views)

Shortcut

this kind of occasional violence is nothing new.

I must disagree Esperanza mi amiga. The distant past violence you cited at Lakeside was not of the same variety as that we are seeing recently. Of course, what the hell do I care since Dawg was born and raised in the very violent South Alabama woods and then moved on to the edgy city of Oakland, California and then on to troubled Mendocino County.For a while Dawg even lived in the then and probably still violent city nicknamed "Bombingham".

It is settled that we writing and reading here will all soon enough be dead no matter how we meet our fate. Live on the edge says Dawg.

RickS

May 7, 2010, 9:30 AM

Post #16 of 42 (8259 views)

Shortcut

"I am also reading that because they are a visible minority, gringos are an easy target for bribery and extortion at best and kidnapping and murder at worst."

Can you share with us where you are 'reading' this.... to the extent that it is not considered an anomaly?

esperanza

May 7, 2010, 9:35 AM

Post #17 of 42 (8257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hound Dog] crime rates in Chapala and region

In Reply To
this kind of occasional violence is nothing new.

I must disagree Esperanza mi amiga. The distant past violence you cited at Lakeside was not of the same variety as that we are seeing recently. Of course, what the hell do I care since Dawg was born and raised in the very violent South Alabama woods and then moved on to the edgy city of Oakland, California and then on to troubled Mendocino County.For a while Dawg even lived in the then and probably still violent city nicknamed "Bombingham".

It is settled that we writing and reading here will all soon enough be dead no matter how we meet our fate. Live on the edge says Dawg.

Mexico's current disaster of narcoviolencia is completely different from the four murders cited in the GDL Reporter (as linked by the OP). The murder in Chapala this week is completely different from the four murders I mentioned in my post.

Nevertheless, the four murders in the GDL Reporter and the four I mentioned from 10+ years ago are similar in nature.

Hound Dog

May 7, 2010, 10:56 AM

Post #18 of 42 (8233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] crime rates in Chapala and region

am also reading that because they are a visible minority, gringos are an easy target for bribery and extortion at best and kidnapping and murder at worst."

Can you share with us where you are 'reading' this.... to the extent that it is not considered an anomaly

Well, I know you are not addresing me, Rick as Dawg considers the word "gringo" to be a pejorative and racist word with a vulgar historical common context and only used, therefore, by insensitive and poorly educated people so would never use it . ever! In fact, as I have stated before, in Chiapas where we live half the year no respectable Mexican of any ethnic background would ever use that word face-to-face with a person presumed to be of that ethnic heritage and would consider the use of such a word as the equivalent of calling an African American a "colored person" at best.

That having been established, at neither Lake Chapala or the Chiapas Highlands have foreigners been targeted as of yet for bribery, extortion, kidnapping or murder. Maybe in the future but I´ll tell you what, if that happens the rush to the border will be of historic magitude. Doesn´t bother Dawg. If we fled here and took off for Mobile or San Francisco again to protect our sorry asses, some, Louisiana swamper down on the Bayou or Chinese gangster in North Beach would just be waiting to see us coming around the bend.

(This post was edited by Hound Dog on May 7, 2010, 10:58 AM)

mensamia

May 7, 2010, 1:45 PM

Post #19 of 42 (8200 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Mexico's current disaster of narcoviolencia is completely different from the four murders cited in the GDL Reporter (as linked by the OP). The murder in Chapala this week is completely different from the four murders I mentioned in my post.

Nevertheless, the four murders in the GDL Reporter and the four I mentioned from 10+ years ago are similar in nature.

esperanza

May 7, 2010, 2:01 PM

Post #20 of 42 (8190 views)

Shortcut

Mensamia, what are you trying to say?

don pedro

May 7, 2010, 3:18 PM

Post #21 of 42 (8173 views)

Shortcut

there are several things in this thread that are cheezing me off. it weren't the chief of police that were gunned down and no news article suggested it had anything to do with narco crap. when are these boards gonna stop thriving on gossipy bs and totally wrong info-eh?
and lissen here master bloviator bubba the know-it-all. ya obviously don't hang out or have made GOOD friends with mexicans of all stripes ta post such rubbish about the word gringo.
i have, and i kin tell ya yer eyeballs is floating.
http://chapalamexicoinfo.createforumhosting.com
naivete is a chronIc disease and by its very nature;the afflicted never know they have it.-SNORK!

chinagringo

May 7, 2010, 4:17 PM

Post #22 of 42 (8159 views)

Shortcut

This dissertation on the use of the word Gringo from someone that used to be on these forums as BUBBA! Surely you jest. When "fast Willie" was given the nickname of BUBBA - I seriously doubt that it was given as a compliment. When first given or described by a young Immigration Official as "cheenagringo" at the airport, I certainly was not offended and it just happened to stick. Having used it for close to 10 years, I doubt that I will be changing it just because the DAWG is offended.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mensamia

May 7, 2010, 5:30 PM

Post #23 of 42 (8142 views)

Shortcut

I agree, Esperanza that "Mexico's current disaster of narcoviolencia is completely different from the four murders cited in the GDL Reporter (as linked by the OP). The murder in Chapala this week is completely different from the four murders I mentioned in my post.

Nevertheless, the four murders in the GDL Reporter and the four I mentioned from 10+ years ago are similar in nature."

Those other murders were based on isolated incidents of violence probably motivated by greed or passion.

The killing of the police official in broad daylight with many witnesses is murder as a message. The message being sent by the murderers is they do not fear the police, nor do they fear being identified by witnesses. The message also says they do not care killing innocent bystanders. The message sent is they are more powerful than the police.

And Brian, you asked where I read about gringos being targeted... I guess I should have said I heard about it.

I was in Mexico City last year staying overnight for an early morning flight. I walked to a Thai restaurant about 10 blocks from my hotel and had a mediocre meal. As I was getting ready to leave, a woman and her adult daughter who had a table nearby and had also just finished their meal, asked me how I intended to go home. I explained I was at the Presidente InterContinental hotel and was going to walk home. It was a beautiful evening, not dark yet and I was in an upscale part of the city with museums, gardens, restaurants, lots of lights, lots of people. I felt totally safe. They said I risked being kidnapped and ransommed, because I was a visible minority and an obvious gringa (light skinned, light hair), and they insisted I let them drive me home in their chauffeured car. I thought they were being overly paranoid, I did not look rich, was wearing wrinkled khakis, no designer labels, no jewellery not even a watch but I went along with them because they spoke English, seemed interesting and I thought they would give me an insight into living in Mexico.

As the chauffeur slowly drove us through the tree lined streets, I asked the woman how she could be so sure I was a potential target and wasn't she being just a tad paranoid. She told me she was a reporter for an English newspaper in Mexico, had been a reporter for 20 years, and she gave me her business card. I asked the obvious question... if it is so bad, why are you still here. She said she and her daughter were leaving at the end of her daughter's semester in university, in a couple of months. She just wanted her daughter to finish the semester. And then I said, what about moving out of Mexico City… somewhere safe like… Merida ( I had just read that Merida was one of the safer cities in Mexico) or better still… a small town like Progreso, or some mountain village where there is no crime. She laughed and said, as long as you are Caucasian in a country where the drug-lords are offering better wages than the police force, where gringos are seen as potential money machines, there is no place that will be safe. She said she loved Mexico, had lived there 20 years and was sad to go but she didn’t want to live in fear anymore.

We said our goodbyes at the hotel and I thanked the universe for sending me that woman, that night to open my eyes about Mexico.

Reefhound

May 7, 2010, 7:01 PM

Post #24 of 42 (8127 views)

Shortcut

Opened your eyes or clouded your eyes? Who's to say? But no matter how emphatic and credible she may have sounded, she remains one person's opinion. She and her daughter obviously made it for 20 years.

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things. One can live in a constant state of fear and actually be in little danger at all. Or one can feel perfectly safe while they are actually in grave danger. It's why I take it with a grain of salt when someone says they felt safe or unsafe.

Demonio

May 7, 2010, 7:47 PM

Post #25 of 42 (8112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Reefhound] crime rates in Chapala and region

I grew up in one of the worse neighborhoods in the world - south-central Los Angeles in the late '60's and '70's. We felt safe. So, there was gang violence, narcotics, robberies (I was first robbed at knife-point of my milk money when I was five years old) and the more than occasional murder on the street. But, we felt safe. After all, it was usually happening to someone else. Way later, I joined the LAPD and eventually was assigned to a patrol division that bordered where I grew up and where my parents still lived. The radio in the patrol car was CRAZY!!! In those days we picked up ALL the calls from the adjoining divisions. I couldn't believe what I was hearing -- murder, rape, robbery, burglary, etc., etc., etc., and all blocks from where we thought it was safe. I guess the moral of the story is, if you hear of horrible crimes occurring in your neighborhood - listen and know it's probably far worse than you think. Horrible things might, and probably are, happening a block or two from you and you have no clue of it. Be smart and be safe. 80 to 90 percent of crime in Mexico goes unreported. Who knows what's going on.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4