Forums > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

deGimp

Jul 16, 2006, 8:14 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1268 views)

Shortcut

Where to buy Cigars

Can't Post | Private Reply
Friends,
We've now been comfortably snuggled into our rental house for a couple of weeks and absolutely no one has exaggerated just how wonderful this area is! Of course our having left the 115f+ temperatures of Bullhead City, AZ has a lot to do with that evaluation.
One delightful surprise in our visit was when I ran out of my favorite cigars and was directed to a liquor store (El Toritos area) that had some WONDERFUL Cuban cigars and at prices that people would be considered quite low up north, if they could get them legally. I asked the young lady what the "box" price was, but she indicated A) Individual Sales Only and B) No Discounts.
Any suggestions for cigar buying in the LC area? If not how about Guad?
Thanks so much for your help!
Mike "DeGimp" Osborn
La Floresta (Till Oct. 1)
I reject your reality and insert my own!

esperanza

Jul 16, 2006, 9:12 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1249 views)

Shortcut

Re: [deGimp] Where to buy Cigars

Try this:

Puros Don Toribio
Santa Casilda #2236
Colonia Talpita
Guadalajara
Tel: 01-33-3653-0521

Don Toribio is the maker of premier-quality hand-rolled cigars. At one time he sold cigars either individually or by the box in front of SuperLake, but that's been more than a year ago. His reputation is stellar.

You'll need to speak Spanish or have someone who does call for you.

Esperanza

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

deGimp

Jul 16, 2006, 10:44 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Where to buy Cigars

Gracias!
Hablo muy poco español. Since I was unable to even make the cashier at Sonario's (spelling?) understand what a cigar was, I'll bet I'd need a translater in Guad. Maybe I'll just get adventuresome and take a ride up there. I drove through Guad on my way to Ajijic with little trouble, so maybe I'll get lucky again?!
Oh that he still traded in this area!! I must admit that I am a bit surprised not to find at least one tobaconist, especially one dealing in cigars, in the LC area; Very strange??
Mike
I reject your reality and insert my own!

ekammin

Jul 21, 2006, 2:15 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1147 views)

Shortcut

Not being a smoker myself, I'm no expert in this.

However, I have seen a guy making what appear to me to be goood cigars at a stand in front of the liquor store next to Superlake.

esperanza

Jul 21, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1132 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Where to buy Cigars

That guy is Don Toribio. Folks who smoke his cigars say that they are marvelous.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

caldwelld

Jul 22, 2006, 6:57 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1107 views)

Shortcut

Sanborn's has one of the best selections of Mx Particularly Varacruz) and imported cigars I have seen and is unpretentious about the way they price them. There must be a Sanborn's somewhere close to where you are.
dondon

Liz & Don Oakley

Jul 24, 2006, 12:54 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1050 views)

Shortcut

La Paz liquor store next to Superlake has a fairly nice selection.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4