Mexico Connect
Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring

jennifer rose

Dec 13, 2005, 12:56 PM

Post #1 of 10 (6351 views)

Shortcut

Superama-Morelia

Can't Post |
Superama is now open for business in Morelia. Just a few blocks north of Plaza Las Americas on Av. Enrique Ramirez. Walking in, we felt like we back at HEB Central Market. Or Nob Hill Market or Whole Foods.

Hyrdoponic lettuce in twenty varieties, the largest selection of fresh herbs, absolutely perfect produce. Over in the fish alcove, fresh fish were were displayed in attractive poses, and around the corner was the Oriental aisle. Meat displayed like rare gems, and there was even four cuts of venison.

The best selection of electrodomesticos I’ve ever seen under one roof in Morelia. The housewares department had me wondering if I’d stepped into Williams-Sonoma.

Cranberry sauce, canned, and cranberry salad dressing. A broad range of teas. Wood-fired pizza. A bakery. At least twelve kinds of mole sold in bulk, and equally that many kinds of olives. The prepared food area was out of this world. Not the usual cafeteria-style offerings, but pork cooked in prune sauce, two kinds of lasagna, and eggplant parmesan. Two portions servings of the latter set me back $30 M.N.

And fresh flowers and a coffee shop.

Sparkling clean, and staffed by intelligent, competent help. This is my new favorite grocery store.

If you look at Superama’s website, http://www.superama.com.mx, you’ll find the weekly specials.

Cynthia7

Dec 13, 2005, 4:24 PM

Post #2 of 10 (6329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Superama-Morelia

Can't Post | Private Reply
Superama is a delight to shop in. The one in Queretaro has leg of lamb, wonderful beef and my replacement coffee pot that my maid keeps breaking..It also has shredded wheat and blueberries..occasionally. Count yourself lucky if you live near a Superama.

Gringal

Dec 13, 2005, 4:52 PM

Post #3 of 10 (6326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Superama-Morelia

Where is the Superama in Queretaro? Near the other big box stores?

jennifer rose

Dec 13, 2005, 5:04 PM

Post #4 of 10 (6322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Superama-Queretaro

Can't Post |
Queretaro has two: Jurica and Tejeda. Go to Superama's website, click ¿Quiénes Somos?, then - Localice su tienda. Go to the map and find your state and click. Then click on the star, and a pop-up window will show the address and map for each store.

sfmacaws

Dec 13, 2005, 5:32 PM

Post #5 of 10 (6316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Superama-Queretaro

Alas! No Superama's over here. I'm just thrilled they are building a Soriana in Playa. Soriana is my favorite store in Cancun, it has much of the stuff you described but the housewares did not remind me of Williams Sonoma. They do have free tastings in the wine department. The produce section is gorgeous, and they have red, ripe tomatos - beefsteak, cherry and the ubiquitous Roma but at least these Roma are red not pink and green.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Papirex

Dec 13, 2005, 6:50 PM

Post #6 of 10 (6300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Superama-Queretaro

We are lucky here, we have three Superama stores, one of them is very new, it just opened about a year ago. That’s quite a few of them for a small city like Cuernavaca. Since Walmex owns Superama, one of them is adjacent to Sam’s Club here.

The other two Superama stores are located in or near, upscale colonias, so they do carry many more or less luxury food items. Many US foods, great produce, a nice panaderia, coffee shop, meats, some hard to find frozen items including some very good frozen dinners, and frozen eggs. We like to keep 3 or 4 boxes of the frozen eggs in the freezer to save a trip to the local abborote if we run out of eggs in the morning. They are liquefied so the only way you can cook them is in scrambled form, they are called egg substitutes because they have been modified so they are low in cholesterol. They taste just like the eggs the chicken produced. Each box is the equivalent of four eggs.

There are many choices here for Supermarkets, Bodega, Gigante, Commercial Mexicana, Mega, etc. Costco owns Mega, so one of them is adjacent to Costco. We used to have a Carrefour, but since they left Mexico, that store is now under Mexican ownership, I can’t remember the name of it right now, but it seems to have all the same items that Carrefour used to have. When we lived close to it, it was my favorite store. No Soriana, but who needs one?

Most of these stores have a Coffee shop and/or restaurant. The Mega next to Costco has a restaurant upstairs, and a coffee shop, dry cleaners, etc. downstairs near the covered parking area.

We do have to rough it here though. In all those stores, we have never been able to find any Boston baked beans, or dry onion soup mix. We have to stock up on them at Super Lake when we visit Ajijij.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sfmacaws

Dec 13, 2005, 9:59 PM

Post #7 of 10 (6262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Superama-Queretaro

I remember being thrilled when they built the Chedraui in Playa, it was a huge step up from the San Francisco that had been the only large store. Now there is a Sam's farther out than the Chedraui and a new WalMex (I like that and it is more accurate) opened this week downtown. We went in there today but I didn't go into the food section, I was there for a shower curtain and a present for the 9 mo old. It's open and full of people but they are still working on it, construction is not really complete. Very slick though with underground parking and an escalator.

Chedraui and Soriana are like small malls with lots of small stores inside and out. I get my hair cut at Chedraui and the dry cleaner is there along with a vet and pet store and lots of small food shops. Soriana has that plus gelato and a travel agency and some gift shops. All of them have Christmas stores going now, there is a gift wrapping shop at Soriana and the lots have xmas trees.

Despite some gringos thinking that this is "ruining" Mexico, these stores are full of local shoppers and they are a boost to the local economy. I am glad to see so many people can afford to shop in these stores and that they are doing well. It isn't quaint and it isn't what you see on a postcard but it is a thriving economy with successful citizens enjoying it. I saw a post on a Mérida forum the other day that 3 long time ex-pat couples (actually they were said to be from the Lake Chapala area) were looking at new, modern houses in the suburbs of Mérida and one of them said "I'm so sick of quaint". I still like quaint, because I don't have to deal with the plumbing, but I am happy to see that there are more choices.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Anonimo

Dec 15, 2005, 4:06 PM

Post #8 of 10 (6164 views)

Shortcut

We went to Superama in Morelia today. First, we had lunch from the Barra de Ensaladas. ($99.0 al kilo) It was fine, no big deal.
We each had a piece of pizza. It was good. I had anchovy and goat cheese, Susie had Gorgonzola. There is no place to sit. You have to get your purchase wrapped, stickered and then go to the checkout line. You may then eat it in the cafetería or at outside tables. Luckily, the lines were short.
We saw nice things in the panadería. The pescados looked good, and the meats superior. Of course, you pay top prices for this quality.

I even saw Rublshclager's Rye and Pumpernickel breads in the deli!

Overall, a nice store, but for regular needs, I'll keep shopping at Wal Mart.

Saludos,
Anonimo

julian3345

Dec 21, 2005, 1:17 PM

Post #9 of 10 (6051 views)

Shortcut

A fun post to read! I did check out the website and notice there is a Superama in San Luis Potosi...striking distance for those of us living in Zacatecas (two hours each way) Has anyone shopped at this store? What is it like? I didn't see any reference to a membership like at Sam's...Is that required or not? THX Joan

Anonimo

Dec 21, 2005, 2:37 PM

Post #10 of 10 (6028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] Superama-Morelia

No membership required; just get a cart and roll right in.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4