Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

DoDi2

Nov 10, 2006, 11:15 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3188 views)

Shortcut

tal vez

Can't Post | Private Reply
Dear native spanish speakers... I have a question for you:

If I say 'tal vez' do you take that to mean 'maybe yes, maybe no' or do you just take it to be a polite way of saying 'no'?

gracias

rainer

Nov 10, 2006, 1:13 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DoDi2] tal vez

Talvez!
Smile

Oscar2

Nov 10, 2006, 2:29 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3172 views)

Shortcut

I think it means: We’ll see.

DoDi2

Nov 10, 2006, 2:45 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] tal vez

Oscar.. that's what I always thought too. But I've just been corrected by a Mexican friend that although it literally translates to 'maybe' or 'we'll see'... culturally it pretty much always means a polite, delicately delivered 'no'.

I think I'm finding out just how 'no' adverse a society Mexico is. It almost approaches the adversion to saying 'no' that I found in India. I.e. all this time that I've been saying maybe I'll come to your party, I've really been saying no.. and then showing up! que pena! On the other hand, when I have said 'no I can't make it because of xyz..' in a nice way that I thought was polite in fact I may have been coming off as very a typically indelicate gringa by blurting out the boorish sounding no.

Of course this new information was transmitted to me in a very gentle and indirect manner so as not to bruise feelings.

Sometimes I feel like a big norteamericana clodhopper!

haha

jerezano

Nov 11, 2006, 12:38 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3137 views)

Shortcut

Hello DoDi1,

Here in Zacatecas tal vez is a polite NO in answer to any invitation. Very seldom it can also means perhaps.

Somewhere in the literature is a small booklet on the difficulty of Mexicans to say NO. I read it so many years ago I cannot remember its name or author. It would be a good read for you if you can find it somewhere.

I remember years ago being sent clear across town in San Miguel de Allende only to find a policeman who sent me to a self service laundry only a block from where I started. This difficulty of a Mexican to say No, I don t know or No I can t help you will show up everywhere if you do much traveling in Mexico.

As a woman, you might be interested in reading the Spanish Classic "El sí de las niñas" which is a play about the necessity of a young daughter to agree to an arranged marriage.

Adiós. jerezano

Oscar2

Nov 12, 2006, 8:29 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3109 views)

Shortcut

The Mx reluctance to say NO or I DON’T KNOW, as Jerezano points out, is so true. It got to the point where I also felt a sense of reluctance just asking directions when needed. What I realize now is my lack of the Mx language skills at the times I asked for directional assistance was also a barrier of confusion.

For example, simple things like when a Mx would good naturedly wave his arms around directing me to my destination he’d use the term “semáforo” which I was not familiar with, so it sort of knocked me off kilter, thus throwing an anvil into my attention and spiriting even more confusion.

Aside from a good comprehensive stockpile of functional Mx words needed to understand the locals, the point made about Mx reluctance to just say, “I don’t know,” is still very much alive. I guess it’s just an inherent part of the culture, which gives Mexico its unique, interesting, Latin flavor.

With those who have lived years down south, one can easily realize that this idiosyncrasy is nothing more than commonplace and an inherent part of living with the natives. “As in Rome!” Laugh

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Nov 12, 2006, 8:30 AM)

quevedo

Nov 13, 2006, 8:03 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DoDi2] Tal vez

Can't Post |
Look at my eyes. Look at my face. What do you see?

You have to read the unspoken language.

Saludos,

Quevedo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4