Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

CRAZBS

Nov 4, 2006, 2:04 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1683 views)

Shortcut

Border crossing and paying duty

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, after a year and a half of planning we are finally on our way!!! I would like to get some fresh feedback on two things before we hit the border tomorrow morning. I have searched all the old forums and gotten some great info but I would like to hear from anyone with recent experience. We are in Texas right now and trying to decide where to cross the border. We are looking at Del Rio, Eagle Pass or the Colombia Bridge. Our main concern is that we are coming in with a Honda CR-V that is packed as full as it can be and we are hoping that we won't have to take it apart at the border. Any input as to whether any of these crossings are less likely to do that? Also, as far as having a car full of stuff, should we just bite the bullet and pay some duty? I have heard two trains of thought on this. Some say to just get in the nothing to declare line because everything is for personal use, but then I have heard that if you have that much stuff and you get searched that if you have paid some duty it helps because then you don't look like you are trying to get stuff by them. Any help on these two points (or any other words of wisdom) would be greatly appreciated!! Wish us luck.

Rolly

Nov 4, 2006, 2:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CRZ] Border crossing and paying duty

Amigo, you haven't given us enough information to give you detailed advice. Do you have an FM3? I'm assuming you do not have a menaje de casa. Do you have electronic devices (TV, stereo, VCR, etc? Kitchen appliances? These are the things aduana is most interested in.

FM3 folks crossing a low traffic crossings are usually cut a lot of slack. I'd just be honest with the aduana guy and tell him I don't know if I have anything that needs to be declared. Put it on him to decide if he wants to look. Unless you have a lot of electrical devices, odds are he'll send you on your way.

I'd go to Colombia just because the roads are better on the Mexican side.

Do NOT offer a bribe.

Rolly Pirate

CRAZBS

Nov 4, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Border crossing and paying duty

Sorry about the details. No, I don't have an FM3 or a menaje de casa. We will be going in on an FMT for 6 months. No appliances, we have an old dvd player and a computer. Otherwise it is just dishes, pots and pans, linens and personal stuff. Thanks for any help.

esperanza

Nov 4, 2006, 7:04 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1650 views)

Shortcut

Late last spring I crossed at Eagle Pass in a car packed much like yours will be. We had a middle-aged laptop and three cats and a dog with us, among other things piled up to the roof.

The Eagle Pass crossing took less than five minutes; there was one car in front of us driving into Mexico. The route out of Piedras Negras (the town just across the Mexican border) was super and clearly marked. No one batted an eye at our menagerie or at the stuff in the car.

I'd strongly recommend Eagle Pass as an entry point. You won't have any problems bringing your stuff, though, no matter where you cross.

Just remember: 'these are my used personal items that I will need while I'm in Mexico'.

Have a great trip down.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Moisheh

Nov 5, 2006, 5:57 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1615 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Border crossing and paying duty

One thing you should be aware of: The maximum value for a "casual" importation is $1000. With less than this figure you can pay the duty which is approx. 15% . If your goods are more than $1000 you need a customs broker and lots of valiums. Each item will come under a different classification. If anything is from Asia the duties are around 50%. With the casual importation if you purchased the goods in the USA or Canada then they are considered North American regardless of origin and you get the low duty rate. Dont ask me how I learned all the gruesome details.

Moisheh

thriftqueen

Nov 5, 2006, 5:57 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1572 views)

Shortcut

Just remember: 'these are my used personal items that I will need while I'm in Mexico'.

I vote with Esperanza. After nine years of clearing through Nogales we have never experienced difficulty. My husband says I am the only person who can pack an 18 wheeler in a pickup truck. When we have had household goods we declared the big stuff. When we buy new things we declare it. The main thing to remember is to be pleasant and don't act like it's a big deal if they ask questions or want to see something. We just returned last evening from Tucson and got the green light at the border and 21K. Whoopee!!!

NEOhio1

Nov 5, 2006, 6:21 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1567 views)

Shortcut

Be certain that you ask nicely for a 6 month FMT; standard is 90 days.

RickS

Nov 5, 2006, 7:39 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Border crossing and paying duty

Maybe 90 days is becoming more prevalent somewhere, but when I crossed (again) in late Sept. at a small crossing (Presidio Tx/Ojinga Mx) I was given 180 days as a matter of course.....

esperanza

Nov 5, 2006, 7:51 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Border crossing and paying duty

90 days is standard if you come in by air. When you come in by car, you're more likely to get the full 180.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4