Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 8:05 AM

Post #1 of 35 (6578 views)

Shortcut

Nov 2: Ojos Puestos! the university is surrounded by PFP.... listen live

| Private Reply
Listen to APPO radio live... the university where the radio station has been transmitting is being surrounded by the PFP in preparation for an incursion against the will of the Rector of the university.

Many dignitaries of Oaxaca including the Rector are speaking out on the radio station in opposition to any PFP invasion of the university and as they are saying the world is watching! Ojos puestos!

http://www.asambleapopulardeoaxaca.com/

update: The Rector is speaking now. He is asking everyone to defend the autonomany of the university and resist the abuses of the government. It's very moving speech while he and the students are being surrounded and threatened. They are asking for everyone now to come and defend the radio station.

The radio announcer is exlaining that there are police dressed as civilians moving through the people and that everyone needs to take a lot of care not to let them provoke incidents that the PFP needs as an excuse to attack.

There are a lot of other announcements and detail information while the radio station continues to organize the actions and communications for the protesters.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Nov 2, 2006, 11:02 PM)

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:02 AM

Post #2 of 35 (6562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DoDi2] Ojos Puestos! the university is surrounded by PFP.... listen live

| Private Reply
The PFP is throwing pepper gas and attacking... a helecopter is flying over.. there are people hurt... the brave student radio announcers are asking that everyone come to the university and form a human chain around it to stop the PFP invasion.

They are saying that the helicopter has come down behind the university... that lots of gas is being thrown but still they havent entered. There are now coming two assault tanks toward the university. The helicopter has landed near the rectory of the university.

The students and professors are saying that this forced entrance may well be the greatest error of the whole misadventure of Ruiz and the government violent defense of him. They are asking for the defendors to maintain calm and discipliine.

The PFP is attacking now very aggressively according to those calling in from the barricades.

esperanza

Nov 2, 2006, 9:02 AM

Post #3 of 35 (6561 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Grrr...today I can't get the radio to work.

¡Paren oreja!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:07 AM

Post #4 of 35 (6558 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The students and professors are pointing out that there has been absolutely no request from Rector Francisco Martinez Neri, the head of the university, for the PFP to enter the university.

He in fact has demanded that they do no such thing. And he says that this action is breaking the autonamy of the university.

The Rector has demanded that they respect the autonomy of the university.

So everyone should be very clear that this is a blatent attack on the university against the university's will.

Now they are asking that everyone sound not just the bells of the churches, but also honk horns and make noise!!!!! They are asking that this happen now.

I wonder if those of you now in Oaxaca are hearing anything?

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 9:10 AM)

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:17 AM

Post #5 of 35 (6550 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
They are asking that the wounded be carried to bring them to the help station in the university.

They are asking that the defenders maintain calm as far as possible.

The PFP is attacking with a lot of violence, but the organizers want the people to be disciplined and above all maintain the human chain to prevent the invaders entrance to the university.

It's a give and take between those reminding everyne to be calm and those who are calling in and are actually under attack... there is a lot of anguish in thier voices... the leaders however are continuing to encourage thier people to non-violent resistence.

The people are calling in and asking for medics... there are wounded.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:18 AM

Post #6 of 35 (6549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Ojos Puestos! the university is surrounded by PFP.... listen live

| Private Reply
I have to leave in a little while but I'll post what I'm hearing until then.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:26 AM

Post #7 of 35 (6545 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I hear explosions or loud noises in the back.

There are vehicles full of pri police and porros arriving.

The helicopters landed and are bringing in more attackers and are also shooting grenades of pepper gas into the university.

Now people are coughing.

One of the announcers is saying that this is not the moment for peaceful speeches... I (edit: no longer) think he might be an agent provocetour (edit... now I change my mind... he was speaking from practicality given the situation...i.e. that the movement right now must demonstrate it's force and strength in order to prevail...this battle is very important)... the others anouncing on the radio are urging discipline and that Oaxacans come and defend the radio station in a manner of peaceful and valiant resistance.

More explosions.... they are gassing the radio station.

In the institution of Science, in the sports arena, and other areas are being invaded.

These students are very brave... they are getting gassed and are the center of what the government wants to shut down... but they keep reporting! They are just great!

La cabeza fria y el corazon ardiente is how la profesora announcer just put it.

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 9:49 AM)

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #8 of 35 (6539 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
They are now asking the people to bring cohetes.

The helicoptors are very active. The air is full of gas. They are shooting the grenades directly at the students with intentions of hitting them, one girl was hit in the head but is now OK.

The students of the radio station say that they will resist and not give in.

Again they are asking for cohetes (fireworks) to use in defense... they don't have arms and only use stones and cohetes to defend themselves.

They are also asking that everyone come with thier cameras and video cameras to document what is happening.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #9 of 35 (6536 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Getting more serious now... they are asking that people bring petrol and it sounds like they will be making molotov cocktails. They are also asking for people to bring water pipes. They insist they are defending not attacking, and they are clearly speaking the truth in that respect.

They are asking people to punch holes in the tires of the trucks that are bringing in the porros.

They are going to exercise thier right to protect the autonomy of the university.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 9:54 AM

Post #10 of 35 (6532 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Here's they're webpage with regular bulletins although the students said that there are attempts to also take down the APPO website.

http://www.asambleapopulardeoaxaca.com/boletines/?cat=1

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:01 AM

Post #11 of 35 (6530 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is getting to become violent. I pray that nobody gets badly hurt or killed, but this is very bad.

They are repeating they want gasoline, they want planks with nails put in the streets to prevent police vehicles from using the streets.

The police are right now about to beat down the front door near the Science Institute.

There are also provocateurs trying to plant firearms... the organizers reject any use of firearms and the protesters have never used them and dont intend to. So they are saying 'cuidado' about the undercover agents trying to provoke violence.

Again the Rector is making an announcement that he insists that Fox and Ruiz do not use the PFP and police to violate the university grounds.

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 10:10 AM)

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #12 of 35 (6529 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm not sure if anyone is reading this thread.

They are asking for creams and medications. They are asking for supplies of water.

They say that around the plaza de baile the police are trying to enter.

I'll stop now.

tonyburton

Nov 2, 2006, 10:09 AM

Post #13 of 35 (6525 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You may be right that not many people are reading this thread in real-time, but I am equally sure that this thread will, with the benefit of hindsight, be seen as a landmark thread for Mexico Connect, covering as it does critical current events as they happen. On behalf of all our subscribers and viewers, whatever their political persuasion, your efforts to help us understand what is happening in Oaxaca are very much appreciated.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:17 AM

Post #14 of 35 (6522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Ojos Puestos! the university is surrounded by PFP.... listen live

| Private Reply
thanks tony.... I wasn't sure if anyone was reading.

For those who can understand spanish I recommend strongly that they tune in to the radio station.... this is an incredible and historic event for Oaxaca and perhaps for Mexico.

The link is above in my first post.

The station was very clear before and now it has a lot of noise on it, but it's still transmitting. They are saying something about the iglesia but I can't understand it. They are now saying a prayer to God for protection.

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 10:19 AM)

Rolly

Nov 2, 2006, 10:20 AM

Post #15 of 35 (6515 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I'm glued to my computer! Keep it coming.

Rolly Pirate

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:28 AM

Post #16 of 35 (6508 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is HUGE news if true... they are saying that the Catholic Church has intervened and negotiated with the PFP an agreement that they will leave the University!!!!

The students have won!!!!!

It's very hard to hear the radio... there is a lot of interferance. But the bulletin on there webpage say that PFP says that they will leave.

!!!!! Si se puede!!!!!!

This is just amazing.

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 10:29 AM)

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:35 AM

Post #17 of 35 (6498 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I can hardly hear the station anymore for all the interferance. I could only hear one student say this: "companeros y companeras, tenemos justicia!"

Here it's confirmed in Cronicas de Hoy!

Confirma PFP que no entrará a la Universidad de Oaxaca

Por: Notimex en Oaxaca
Jueves 2 de Noviembre de 2006 | Hora de publicación: 12:04
La Secretaría de Seguridad Pública Federal informó que en el plan de operaciones de la Policía Federal Preventiva (PFP) no se contempla ingresar a las instalaciones de la Universidad Autónoma Benito Juárez de Oaxaca (UABJO).

La dependencia federal informó en un comunicado que esta mañana la PFP desmontó el bloqueo que impedía el libre tránsito en la glorieta de los Cinco Señores y trabaja en la limpieza de las calles aledañas a la sede universitaria.

Los elementos de la PFP retiraron los vehículos y demás barricadas que impedían los accesos y comenzarán a limpiar las calles.

Lo anterior, con el objetivo de permitir el libre tránsito de vehículos y personas, así como contribuir al restablecimiento de la paz pública en esa ciudad.

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 10:40 AM)

geri

Nov 2, 2006, 10:40 AM

Post #18 of 35 (6496 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I came back just now from Gigante in Reforma and saw the smoke and helicopters so decided not to go out. I could tell the smoke, thick black smoke, is coming from the area of the university. How can I get supplies to them? I don't think it would do the movement or Mexico any good to have a gringa killed right now.

When I paid my landlady my rent about an hour ago, she was crying about all the people Ulises has killed. Also, her daughter couldn't get from DF to oaxaca this holiday (DOD) because she doesn't have the right credentials. They were not letting any university students into Oaxaca from DF this weekend. I just learned this. I hadn't heard it before. She sobbed and sobbed, saying Ulises has killed many people.

Although I know the problem is far from over, I was feeling light and free walking to the supermarket and then taking a bus back without barricades. Well that feeling is over!

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:42 AM

Post #19 of 35 (6495 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Ojos Puestos! the university is surrounded by PFP.... listen live

| Private Reply
hi geri!

The radio station just went completely silent... and then came back with a strong and totally clear signal.

I have to confess that right now I'm in tears.

geri

Nov 2, 2006, 10:51 AM

Post #20 of 35 (6489 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It's such a weird time. Oaxaca is a big city and it's so peaceful and quiet where I am. However, I know better than go poking around neighborhoods that I don't know or to head into helicopter/smoke-filled territory. As I've said before I'm the Queen of Sissies (queen in the old-fashioned sense). I think it's hard to understand the lack of a free press here. That why APPO took over 10 radio stations a few months back. The press in the U.S. is certainly far from perfect, but here there is NO free press. Not much publicity has been given to Noticias, the ONLY anti-Ulises newspaper which has been closed down for a couple of years, I think. The PRI official statement is that it's a newspaper strike, but Mexicans tell me that PRI closed it down. They (I don't know who) locked employees inside. There are still barricades into the building, which is located near me. When the cafeteria inside the building ran out of food, people snuck food into them, I hear. With today's electronics, they kept publishing Noticias daily, but in limited quantities, from a distant location. That is the writers could write and hit "send" and voila it goes to presses elsewhere. I don't think this has made much International Press because NO ONE WAS KILLED. People have to be killed, on camera, to get attention, it seems.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 10:58 AM

Post #21 of 35 (6486 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The PFP have between 20 and 30 people detained in one location. People are taking video of it. The reports of beatings and arrests are coming in as well as reports that the PFP gassed not just people in the street but also the people in thier homes where old people and children are. So they are asking for rags, vinegar, and that people guard the public water faucets and help get water distributed. Also it was reported that two girls were detained and removed in a helicopter.

There are also now saying that there are officials entering the station. There are still police groups and threatening to try to enter. So they still need people to come and defend the school and make sure that noone from the local government tries to enter and detain the university directors or professor/student activists.

The threats are not totally gone... they hear sounds of invaders who are from the prista ministry and thier porros.

... but geri, I don't think it would be a good idea for you to bring a bag of sandwiches or tank of gas! haha. But you and I and everyone else can call the Mexican consolate and protest the PFP attack against Oaxacans.

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 11:04 AM

Post #22 of 35 (6485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Ojos Puestos! the university is surrounded by PFP.... listen live

| Private Reply
OH yes! geri I have also followed the attacks over the years against Noticias.

I read that paper as the best source of news in Oaxaca. It's the only mainstream independent newspaper that covers the whole city and state.

The story of what Murat and Ruiz have done to Noticias and the violence they have purpotrated against free press is very instructive as a context behind the attempt to shut down the university radio station. One can only imagine the horror with which Ruiz listens to the reports freely flowing from thier transmitter. I'm sure he can't stand it and is in no way accustomed to such atravasuras such citizens speaking thier minds over media of mass communication.

Here's the website where Noticias is published everyday:
http://www.noticias-oax.com.mx/

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 11:08 AM)

DoDi2

Nov 2, 2006, 11:16 AM

Post #23 of 35 (6480 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
On the radio one can hear the bells of the church are now ringing to call people to come and defend a certain location at the university. geri, I bet you will be hearing lots of church bells through the day today.

High caliber cartridges from PFP, the only organization to have this particular type, are being collected around the university grounds. The students are going to show them to the international press.

Also they report that the helicopters have returned and are in the air over the university.

They are asking that people don't leave to go home and that they continue to maintain the human chain around the school.

Three camionetos with detainees were seen headed to the airport (there is a permanent military base next to the airport).

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Nov 2, 2006, 11:20 AM)

Rolly

Nov 2, 2006, 11:24 AM

Post #24 of 35 (6474 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
DoDi, I very much appreciate your reporting. But I do wish when you report in Spanish that you would give an English summary. Many of us have limited language skills but are very interested in the stories.

Rolly Pirate

geri

Nov 2, 2006, 11:26 AM

Post #25 of 35 (6472 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Dodi, I disagree about Ulises. I bet he's smug and snug as a bug in a rug. He thrives on this! You can tell by photos. Everyone hates him (even anti APPO people) and he won't leave. This is just his appetizer. We still have the main meal and dessert to come.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4