Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nfabq

Oct 31, 2006, 12:35 PM

Post #51 of 67 (6518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Oaxaca Update... Final Video Footage by Brad Will

| Private Reply
The Chicago Tribune reported today,!0/31,"5 men arrested in killing of US journalist,Bradley Roland Will,including the police chief and two of his officers from nearby Santa Lucia del Camino."

The other other side of the coin is,as is often the case,police violence!

Norm

DoDi2

Oct 31, 2006, 1:02 PM

Post #52 of 67 (6511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Oaxaca Update... here's something to brighten your day a little bit

| Private Reply
hi geri ;-)

You said: " Hey, that doesn't make sense, but I'm struggling to make sense of my life right now."

geri! All my Oaxacan friends here in California are saying that this is no doubt about it a revolution.

You are a witness to history... maybe all you need to do is keep a diary and record what you are seeing, because the sense of it will only be known later after it's over.

To me this seems like it might be the second tangible move toward truley overthrowing the corrupt PRI oligarchy of the past. The first being thier defeat in a national election and now the popular movement to root them out of thier positions of power around the country, starting with Oaxaca.

I wonder if Ruiz delay in accepting his inevitable forced retirement from office is to finalize negotiations behind the scenes regarding exactly to whom he will be turning power over. There are already audits into corruption into various of his state administration's business deals and once his protection is removed then he and his friends.. all going back to the Murat regime... and there connections throughout Mexico's power broker elites... well imagine once the details of the magnitude of the payouts, payoffs, and billions of public funds diverted to the accounts of the corruptos starts coming to light. People like Ruiz and his cohorts may well be shaking in thier boots about the possibility that they won't just loose state power in Oaxaca, but that they may wind up doing hard time in a Mexican jail.

Oaxacan people are famous for preferring 'cuentas claras'... and I hope they get the chance to open the books on this bunch of thieves that have been robbing them for years and years.

Que viva la revolucion y que viva Oaxaca!!! Finally maybe Mexico's future has a chance to SHINE!

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Oct 31, 2006, 1:06 PM)

Brian

Oct 31, 2006, 1:14 PM

Post #53 of 67 (6508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DoDi2] Oaxaca Update... here's something to brighten your day a little bit

| Private Reply
I can't find anything at Chicago Trib or other newpapers about the arrest of the murderers of Brad Will. Would someone please provide the link? If it is true, it is all the more reason that the Feds should have been called in ASAP. Speaking of revolution, I am reminded of an interview with Subcommander Marcos about the recent disputed election in Mexico. He said something to the effect "It doesn't matter who wins now because there will not be another election in 2012." Sounds like he was predicting revolution to me.

Brian

esperanza

Oct 31, 2006, 2:04 PM

Post #54 of 67 (6493 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Radio link works fine for me...thanks for posting it.

Right now, the announcer is giving names and descriptions (supplied by relatives) of APPO supporters who have not arrived at home for some time, asking anyone who has seen them to please report their condition.

Now he's saying that everyone who has fallen in this battle deserves heaven.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

DoDi2

Oct 31, 2006, 2:29 PM

Post #55 of 67 (6486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Oaxaca Update... here's something to brighten your day a little bit

| Private Reply
Brian, the Feds were too busy trashing and robbing the Zocalo businesses. When did the PFP protect any of the citizens of Oaxaca from porros or Ruiz' police? ????

News item: The Coordinadora Nacional de Trabajadores de la Educación (CNTE) national teachers union has announced it will organize teachers strikes nationwide if Ruiz doesn't leave office. Michoacan teachers have already announced a sympathy strike in thier state.

Brian

Oct 31, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #56 of 67 (6480 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I don't condone the Feds using the kiosk in the Zocalo for a porta-potty. A more important concern is the assertion that the municipal police chief and some underlings were responsible for the murder of the American photojournalist. If they did this, then who but the Feds could come in to stop the increasing violence? Negotiations weren't going anywhere. APPO states that the removal of Ruiz is a non-negotiable demand. The government tried to oust him by constitutional means and were unsuccessful...what else to do if it has come to warfare between the APPO and the local cops?

Brian

DoDi2

Oct 31, 2006, 3:16 PM

Post #57 of 67 (6468 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
" If they did this, then who but the Feds could come in to stop the increasing violence? "

The violence is against the teachers. Are the Feds coming in to protect them against police and goons? NO. The Feds are coming in to help the very man.. Ruiz... who is the boss of the police and goons and who has been the instigator of the violence. And as all evidence shows... the Feds are only creating more violence and death and suffering in Oaxaca.

Ruiz must go.. the soon the better. His position has been the non-negotiable one, even though the Mexican Senate, the Mexican Camera, and HIS OWN PARTY PRI has voted overwhelmingly that he should step down. It's Ruiz who is not negotiating... probably because he's afraid he will ultimately not just be turned out of the governership but also be sent to jail for extreme corruption and theft of public monies if he and his pals lose control of the political machine in Oaxaca.

Update:
UNITED NATIONS PRESS RELEASE
UN SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR CONCERNED ABOUT VIOLENCE IN OAXACA
http://www.unhchr.ch/...02C371B?opendocument

HR/06/134 30 October 2006
The Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights and fundamental freedoms of indigenous people, Dr. Rodolfo Stavenhagen, today expressed his concern about the serious human rights violations reported to have taken place on 27 October 2006 in the city of Oaxaca and neighbouring towns. According to information received, the acts were perpetrated by a paramilitary group, with violent clashes leaving at least 4 people dead and several others wounded.

The events of 27 October occurred within the framework of a protracted social and political conflict pitting various sectors of Oaxaca society with the authorities of the state. The Special Rapporteur continues to receive information concerning violations of human rights in the course of the conflict, including the killing and wounding by gunfire of innocent victims, arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, illegal searches and breaches of due process.

In the report on his mission to Mexico in 2003, the Special Rapporteur recommended:
"The federal and State judiciary and the national system of ombudsmen should ensure that legislation and justice are not used in the interests of caciques and local authorities to treat legitimate protest or social dissent as a crime or penalize it." And also that, "The Government should take urgent steps to disband, disarm and punish armed paramilitary or civilian groups that are operating in indigenous regions."

The Special Rapporteur is extremely concerned with the use of force to counter protests arising from deeply entrenched social issues and recommends the Federal and State authorities to fully comply, at all times, with Mexico's international human rights commitments.

The Special Rapporteur calls on the Mexican authorities to investigate the reported acts of violence, and to prosecute those responsible of these acts according to international standards. He also calls on both the Federal and state Governments to continue to seek a negotiated solution to the conflict, and to refrain from any further action that could block negotiations. He appeals to the Popular Assembly of Peoples of Oaxaca (APPO) and other social organizations to continue promoting dialogue between all the parties involved, in the search for a peaceful and negotiated solution to their various demands, and to avoid violent confrontations

(This post was edited by DoDi2 on Oct 31, 2006, 3:58 PM)

Bubba

Oct 31, 2006, 4:48 PM

Post #58 of 67 (6442 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I can't find anything at Chicago Trib or other newpapers about the arrest of the murderers of Brad Will. Would someone please provide the link? If it is true, it is all the more reason that the Feds should have been called in ASAP

Tell me something Brian. Is a white norteño´s blood more sacred in its spilling than the blood of a Oaxaca Mexican? Are you implying that Fox sent in the Federales because this foreign activist´s blood stained the streets of Oaxaca and he was shot by local gunmen? Is a local campesino´s blood less sacred than that of this foreigner?

Jimmy Crack Corn and I Don´t Care´
Massa´s in the Ground

Brian

Oct 31, 2006, 5:35 PM

Post #59 of 67 (6425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Oaxaca Update... here's something to brighten your day a little bit

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I can't find anything at Chicago Trib or other newpapers about the arrest of the murderers of Brad Will. Would someone please provide the link? If it is true, it is all the more reason that the Feds should have been called in ASAP

Tell me something Brian. Is a white norteño´s blood more sacred in its spilling than the blood of a Oaxaca Mexican? Are you implying that Fox sent in the Federales because this foreign activist´s blood stained the streets of Oaxaca and he was shot by local gunmen? Is a local campesino´s blood less sacred than that of this foreigner?

Jimmy Crack Corn and I Don´t Care´
Massa´s in the Ground

Come on Bubba, you are smarter than that. On Oct 28 there is a post in this thread where I said the cynic in me wonders if it took the death of a foreigner to spark Fox into action. No, my implication is that if the local law enforcement officials were complicit in crimes being committed against the people, that the Fed needs must step in to prevent further violence and violation of human rights. Kinda like Kennedy federalizing the Alabama national guard because Wallace was fronting for all the racists down there. Now as far as Ulises Ruiz goes, where is Arthur Bremer when we need him now? No, I am not being serious. I would like to see some documentation about the Oaxaca police chief being arrested for Will's death though.

arbon

Oct 31, 2006, 5:51 PM

Post #60 of 67 (6417 views)

Shortcut

|
Brian, get debriefed .........people in Oaxaca do not know what's happening.

Let alone who is who, and who is doing what to who.

Who has the numbers will decide, the next result.

Remember you wrote: According to this report in El Universal, a group of about two thousand gutsy Oaxaquenos has conducted a march in support of Ulises Ruiz and held banners saying that the teachers do not represent the wishes of the pueblo and that Fox should not withdraw the troops in acquiescence to the demands of APPO. Interesting...

2000 against how many? ....Majority will rule!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brian

Oct 31, 2006, 6:04 PM

Post #61 of 67 (6411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Oaxaca Update... here's something to brighten your day a little bit

| Private Reply
arbon

I called them gutsy because they would seem to be outnumbered but still willing to show that the sentiments in the community are not monolithic against the government. I take it that you don't care very much for my email signature file.
Ni modo

Brian

jacpowell

Oct 31, 2006, 7:17 PM

Post #62 of 67 (6399 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Regardless of who did what to who[m] when, the EZLN issued a message today signed by El Sub that encourages all those sympathetic with the APPO to close, either physically or symbolically, all the roads they can on November 1. The EZLN will close all roads in Chiapas under their control. See http://www.counterpunch.org/marcos10312006.html

Onward, everybody! And just hope this gets resolved peacefully somehow. And soon.

nfabq

Oct 31, 2006, 9:40 PM

Post #63 of 67 (6373 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Brian:
Where did you get your information about the Oaxaca police chief being arrested for the murder of the journalist? Can you document your accusation? Very interesting if true.

Norm

Brian

Nov 1, 2006, 5:15 AM

Post #64 of 67 (6352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nfabq] Oaxaca Update... here's something to brighten your day a little bit

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Brian:
Where did you get your information about the Oaxaca police chief being arrested for the murder of the journalist? Can you document your accusation? Very interesting if true.

Norm

How many Norm's are on this list? Who wrote this earlier post?:

"The Chicago Tribune reported today,!0/31,"5 men arrested in killing of US journalist,Bradley Roland Will,including the police chief and two of his officers from nearby Santa Lucia del Camino."

The other other side of the coin is,as is often the case,police violence!

Norm"

Brian

DoDi2

Nov 1, 2006, 8:36 AM

Post #65 of 67 (6316 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi Brian,

I don't know about any arrests yet but here is the official statement from ny indymedia which was Brad Will's employer. They have been able to identify the shooters from Brad's last video he was taking when he was shot.

Official Press Release on Brad Will Murder From Ad-Hoc Media Group:
http://nyc.indymedia.org/en/2006/10/77806.html

"William Bradley Roland, aka Brad Will, a U.S. journalist and camerman, was shot and killed yesterday in Oaxaca, Mexico, by paramiliaries affiliated with the PRI, the former Mexican ruling party. Will was in Oaxaca covering the continued resistance of teachers and other workers against the PRI-controlled government of the State of Oaxaca. According to reports from New York City Independent Media Center and La Jornada, Will, 36, was shot at the Santa Lucia Barricade from a distance of 30-40 meters in the pit of the stomach by plainclothes paramilitaries and died while enroute to the Red Cross.

Centro de Medias Libres (http://vientos.info/cml) in Mexico City reports that from Will's recovered videiotapes, they have identified his killer as a paramilitary named Pedro Carmona, ex-president of Felipe Carrillo Puerto de Santa Lucia del Camino, a colonia in Oaxaca. "

Brian

Nov 1, 2006, 8:45 AM

Post #66 of 67 (6311 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you DoDi2. That is a little bit different information than the other posting citing the Chicago Trib. Let's hope they can find these guys and prosecute them ASAP although I rather doubt they would remain in the area after being identified on videotape.

saludos
Brian

tonyburton

Nov 1, 2006, 9:19 AM

Post #67 of 67 (6306 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This thread is getting very long, so I'm locking it, but encouraging all posters to continue this discussion on a new thread, please.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4