Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

Rolly

Oct 28, 2006, 5:35 PM

Post #1 of 13 (28134 views)

Shortcut

MexConnect Mail

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, looks like Gossamer has really done it to us this time. The new mail service will neither deliver nor send mail. When I try to send mail, all that arrives is an empty shell, no text. If I send a CC to myself at MXC, I get nothing.

Other than that, how was the parade, Jackie?

Rolly Pirate

tonyburton

Oct 28, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #2 of 13 (28123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] MexConnect Mail

I've passed your concern on to the techies for review. Everything appears to be working fine as far as I can tell. Is anyone else having a similar problem (or any other problem) with the upgrades that have been installed so far? Tony

PS One of the upgrades enables subscribers to see the expiry date of their subscription whenever they log in to http://www.mexconnected.com/...munity/community.cgi

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Oct 28, 2006, 6:21 PM)

Rolly

Oct 28, 2006, 6:27 PM

Post #3 of 13 (28118 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] MexConnect Mail

I'm using IE-7. What browser are you using, Tony?

When I checked my mail early this morning, my inbox was full of spam which I deleted. No spam filter now, I guess. Tonight there is not even any spam -- nothing at all today, even test e-mails I sent to myself from my Hotmail account.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Oct 28, 2006, 6:41 PM

Post #4 of 13 (28114 views)

Shortcut

More testing reveals that it will accept and send a message in the text mode but not in HTML, the default mode. But it still will not receive a message, even a CC originating in MexConnect mail.

Rolly Pirate

tonyburton

Oct 28, 2006, 6:42 PM

Post #5 of 13 (28114 views)

Shortcut

Rolly,
I'm using an early version of Firefox (and at present only have IE6 on this machine, not IE7).
Test messages sent to and from my xxx@mexconnect account from directly within Mexico Connect, and to/from the account using Eudora, all worked exactly as they should have done, and subscription messages are still arriving normally.
I'm not sure of the exact schedule of updates, or precisely how long the whole process will take. I'm wondering if your failed mail attempts coincided with some part of the upgrades being implemented. Can anyone else out there using IE7 please try to check their @mexconnect.com mail system and report back? Thanks, Tony

Rolly

Oct 28, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #6 of 13 (28112 views)

Shortcut

My e-mail is important to me. I sure wish they would do all their debugging before putting the new system on line. This really stinks!!!

How about putting the old system back up until this new one is working correctly?

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Oct 28, 2006, 7:05 PM

Post #7 of 13 (28108 views)

Shortcut

I got my usual 2 baskets of spam today, and even one legitimate Email that was intended for me. Nothing for the last hour or so, since I read Rollys report. I last checked my Mexconnect mail about five minutes ago. I am using IE 7, the final version, not the beta version.

Because of all the spam on Mexconnect mail for the last few months, I am phasing it out for my personal use. I recently converted my 250 MB Netscape Email account to a free 2GB AIM account. I will probably start using it for my primary Email account.

If anyone is interested in getting a free 2 GB Email account that will work on the web or in Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Incredimail, etc., you might want to check out this link. I had a free 250 MB Netscape.net Email account and they sent me an Email that they were discontinuing it, but It could be converted to a 2 GB AIM.com account. They are no longer enrolling anyone for the old Netscape accounts, or the new AIM accounts, but the same accounts using the AOL name are available for free. https://new.aol.com/freeaolweb/?promocode=814174&promocode2=805966 If you have an existing Netscape account, just log in to it, and you will get a page to convert it to an AIM account.

After I switched my Netscape account to an AIM account, I signed Doris up for an AOL mail account. In both cases, after the account was opened, we received Emails with links to download the AOL toolbar, homepage, etc. I donít want anything to do with AOL stuff, so I just ignored that. The Email accounts seem to be working OK anyway. Since they are IMAP accounts they import into Outlook and Incredimail, etc. OK.

I know this doesnít solve anyoneís problems with Mexconnect Mail, but personally I am tired of fooling with it. Because so many of us suddenly were deluged with so much spam a few months ago, It has to be pretty obvious that someone, somewhere has betrayed their trust and sold, or otherwise given up the list of Mexconnect Mail subscribers. It is an inside job. It always is.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Oct 28, 2006, 7:07 PM)

tonyburton

Oct 28, 2006, 7:24 PM

Post #8 of 13 (28106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] MexConnect Mail

Hi Rex, Thanks for the informative posting which may well help some of our subscribers. The major problem we had with the previous gossamer mail version was that it was not compatible with the latest spam catching software, so we were very restricted in how much spam we could identify. The new system does allow the use of state-of-the-art spam removal tools, and they will be added once the upgrades are complete.

You comment that It has to be pretty obvious that someone, somewhere has betrayed their trust and sold, or otherwise given up the list of Mexconnect Mail subscribers. It is an inside job. It always is.
I disagree and would like to reassure all Mexico Connect subscribers and readers that we take issues like privacy and database data very seriously, and as our terms of service clearly specify, never, under any circumstances, provide any list of subscribers to anyone. Only three individuals, besides the software developers, have any access to the database. I am absolutely confident that we have never done anything to jeopardise the privacy of subscribers and readers. Unfortunately, the worst spam senders have software which automatically generates combinations of letters and numbers followed by the server name. They don't care if they only have a 0.001% hit rate, provided some get through. The result is a mass spam attack.
In order to check our spam rate, we periodically open dummy accounts to see if they attract spam. The last one, opened on March 27th this year, with its e-mail address coded into various pages of the site, has so far atracted precisely 0 (zero) spam messages. Regards, Tony
PS I am sure David McL would have replied personally on this issue, but he's enjoying himself at the beach until early next week.

Papirex

Oct 28, 2006, 8:09 PM

Post #9 of 13 (28100 views)

Shortcut

Tony, itís half fixed. I just checked it ten minutes ago and I had one spam, but there was no Email notification of you replying to my previous post, as there usually is.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sparks

Oct 29, 2006, 3:12 AM

Post #10 of 13 (28086 views)

Shortcut

I just sent Rolly an email, myself here and my Yahoo address. It did make it to Yahoo but no sign of it here. Then I do have 650 unread messages so maybe it ended up somewhere below.

Also HTML is not my default and I've never changed it unless changing this editor effects email settings.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Rolly

Oct 29, 2006, 6:07 AM

Post #11 of 13 (28079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] MexConnect Mail

Scott, I did not get your e-mail. Nor have I had any spam over night which is most unusual. I did get one e-mail from my sister last evening.

Rolly Pirate

caldwelld

Oct 29, 2006, 7:07 AM

Post #12 of 13 (28073 views)

Shortcut

My mail is not getting thru either. After the change I had one day when the mail got thru but since have recieved nothing and I know I should have.
dondon

Rolly

Oct 29, 2006, 9:19 AM

Post #13 of 13 (28059 views)

Shortcut

Re: MexConnect Mail

I loaded firefox to see if that would make a difference. It did -- sort of. It allowed me to write a message in HTML mode while IE7 would not. But I still could not send an e-mail to my MXC box from Hotmail, nor have I received any other e-mails.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4