Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Oct 29, 2006, 11:25 AM

Post #26 of 41 (2381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] Mexico and violence

Can't Post | Private Reply
No, it was FDR in his first inaugural address - March 4, 1933, Washington D.C.

Rolly Pirate

VSOP

Oct 29, 2006, 11:50 AM

Post #27 of 41 (2370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexico and violence

ˇhijole! that'll teach me to check my facts! Thanks, Rolly.

And, while I'm (still) here, Claudia, just wanted to say that living in Montgomery, Alabama, is, also, "living on the edge" and I pinch myself every day that I have either survived or eluded burglary, robbery, drive-by shooting, home invasion, and a host of other random acts of violence. No beheadings yet!

"La Vida es la ruleta." Eso es la verdad.

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

Poncho32

Oct 29, 2006, 2:03 PM

Post #28 of 41 (2349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Mexico and violence

When I joined this web site it was my belief that the general concept was to help , and assist others that were in need of same.
As example, I travel each year at the minimum of 3,000 miles each way from home to home. What I continue to seek out in my travels ,is a course that will get my family to our final destination in the most secure way as possible.
I use this forum and the travel forum to do so.
I find it some what disturbing reading quite a lot of comments on the general forum that inquires are blown completely out of proportion in regards to the information that is requested.
That in itself in my belief undermines what I again believe is the intent of this forum.
If I am in error would some one set me straight. Bud

tntex

Oct 29, 2006, 6:18 PM

Post #29 of 41 (2313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexico and violence

Wow, thanks Rolly, I was looking that up on Google. My wife says I am loosing it but I remember "fear itself"
tntex

Mark Landes

Oct 29, 2006, 6:32 PM

Post #30 of 41 (2309 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Mexico and violence

In 1967-68 I lived in a nine story building in Saigon for six months [civilian cover]--tallest building in Saigon at that time. For six months I drove around Saigon/Cholon (the Chinatown of Saigon--on the river) in a jeep, pedicabs, walking, and once a week for a time I got on a local bus and went about ten miles out of town to meet with my Buddhist "friends". You learn to use caution and good sense otherwise you would waste energy on worry. The last six months they stuck me back in uniform and relocated me farther south.
Mark

Don Moore

Oct 29, 2006, 8:02 PM

Post #31 of 41 (2288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Mexico and violence

It may not be "PC," but you can go ahead and talk about it if you wish. THose who want to participate will do so. THose who don't wish to will not. Flaming from 2,000 miles away can hardly hurt you, though it is, I think, highly uncivil. Please don't take this as a flame, just an expression of a different view.
Don Moore

Don Moore

Oct 29, 2006, 8:46 PM

Post #32 of 41 (2280 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yocarlosyocarlosyoyo] Mexico and violence

I am very curious. How many violent crimes does anyone know about having happened to gringo retirees (or, secondarily tourists) in Mexico? I am sure there must be some, but the only one I know about first hand was a woman in Ajijic who was knocked down (but unhurt) and her purse was snatched. I'd like to know how many of you know of other violent crimes -- what happened and when they happened.

It seems to me that talk of violent drug-related crime is pretty abstract, but talk of actual violent crime on Anglo retirees/tourists is more relevant and immediate to most forum participants. I do not deny crime in Mexico, but all I have EVER heard from any gringo who lives there (even the one who was knocked down) is that they feel safer in Mexico than they did in the U.S. I don't personally know any Canadians in Mexico.

I live in Memphis, Tennessee, where every other day, on average, there is a murder. Most (but not all( are far in distance from where I live, and most (but again not all) are against people who either hang around with dangerous people or are forced by circumstances to live in or near dangerous situations. I am not afraid for my own physical safety, but I do not like the idea of living in a violent place. I am curious about how places in Mexico compare to this.

I don't have much interest in drug dealers shooting each other.
Don Moore

Bubba

Oct 30, 2006, 6:59 AM

Post #33 of 41 (2241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Mexico and violence

I am not afraid for my own physical safety, but I do not like the idea of living in a violent place. I am curious about how places in Mexico compare to this.

Well, Don:

Memphis is infamously violent as is true of so many large southern cities. When we lived in Mobile, Oakland and San Francisco they were all quite violent and I found myself in some rather hairy situations as a banker in Downtown Oakland which not only had a lot of criminals but plenty of violent crooked racist cops as well. We now split our time between Ajijic and San Cristobal de Las Casas and neither of those cities has crime even remotely on a level with those U.S. cities we lived in. There is always the chance of civil unrest in Chiapas but if that happens it is unlikely to affect us. We do exercise caution when in rural areas and indigenous villages, especially when we are in Oaxaca and Chiapas but that would also be advisable in backwoods Alabama and California. When we lived in the rural mountains of Northern California we felt the need for a 38 revolver and 12 gauge shotgun. Here we feel much safer.

We haven´t been back to the states in five years and, oddly enough, the longer we are away from there the more violent, uptight and unattractive the place seems to be to us. I guess it´s all according to what you are used to.

viajita

Oct 30, 2006, 7:18 AM

Post #34 of 41 (2235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Mexico and violence

Welcome back Bubba. I've missed you.

(This post was edited by viajita on Oct 30, 2006, 7:20 AM)

Poncho32

Oct 30, 2006, 8:05 AM

Post #35 of 41 (2213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Mexico and violence

Good responce BubbaMemphis is infamously violent as is true of so many large southern cities. When we lived in Mobile, Oakland and San Francisco they were all quite violent and I found myself in some rather hairy situations as a banker in Downtown Oakland which not only had a lot of criminals but plenty of violent crooked racist cops as well. We now split our time between Ajijic and San Cristobal de Las Casas and neither of those cities has crime even remotely on a level with those U.S. cities we lived in. There is always the chance of civil unrest in Chiapas but if that happens it is unlikely to affect us. We do exercise caution when in rural areas and indigenous villages, especially when we are in Oaxaca and Chiapas but that would also be advisable in backwoods Alabama and California. When we lived in the rural mountains of Northern California we felt the need for a 38 revolver and 12 gauge shotgun. Here we feel much safer.

We haven´t been back to the states in five years and, oddly enough, the longer we are away from there the more violent, uptight and unattractive the place seems to be to us. I guess it´s all according to what you are used to.

No society is without problems as a resident or a traveler it is always best to know what surrounds you . Bud

Oscar2

Oct 30, 2006, 9:44 AM

Post #36 of 41 (2183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Mexico and violence

Fear mongering is a very skillful, effective, contagious, mind-controlling tool used from politicians to the common salesperson to sell agendas, wars and even very small, common household products “we fear” we need.

This forum is a miniscual microcosm of our human condition of which susceptibility to suggestion, innuendo, subliminal messaging laced with fear/pain can be (in some cases) overkill, destructive and a disservice to this forums good membership.

The tirades, the massive mood swings are handily used by many, of which the media is notorious for and we (the targets) fall in lockstep out of years and years of conditioned mind controlling fear. There is no need to ride their coat tales, as designed. They’ll keep popping up regularly, least we forget there is a newspaper to sell.

“Awareness” born out of stepping back, far enough away and gazing (without the incessant mind chatter) with as much clarity as we can realize, this, in and of itself can, and is extremely powerful and more important liberating.

Liberating from what? From the confines and restraints mind generated fears are designed to keep one from perhaps finding a little piece of well-needed “peace” and confidence in their lives.

In the two or so years I’ve been on this forum, it’s not hard to realize we’re good folks. Perhaps not as perfect as Bubba, a few others and me who sachet shamelessly but heck and hey, aren’t we all some kind of rock star in our own fashion ………… Wink

caldwelld

Oct 30, 2006, 9:45 AM

Post #37 of 41 (2182 views)

Shortcut

Don, It happens, no question, even in sleepy towns like SMA. They say the easiest way to get mugged is to walk around alone after 2 a.m. with a drink or two under your belt and I have heard frequent first hand acounts. (I believe that would be a rule in many parts of Mx - not to mention many parts of the world.) There was a serial rapist working this town and was luckily caught by some pretty vigilent local police work after only 4 or 5 gringa victims. Two Cdns were killed in Cancun about a year ago and no sign of a perp yet. A US cameraman was recently killed in the violence in Oaxaca. Some of the violence is inflicted by fellow gringos so can't all be blamed on Mxcns. All this "violence" is reported in my experience but you would have to keep your eyes wide open to see all the reports as the Mx press does not dwell on them.
dondon

pat

Oct 30, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #38 of 41 (2181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Mexico and violence

"We haven’t been back to the states in five years and, oddly enough, the longer we are away from there the more violent, uptight and unattractive the place seems to be to us. I guess it’s all according to what you are used to."

I think the operative words here are "seems to be". If you are not here, you probably read about the violence in the papers, or see it on television. What you don't see are the millions of folks who (admittedly there are exceptions) go peacefully about their daily business, largely unaffected by violence. That's not to say there aren't some areas more prone to violence than others. I imagine the same is true in your area, as well.

Most of us on these fora, I think, are fortunate enough to choose where we live.

Pat

Brian

Oct 30, 2006, 10:20 AM

Post #39 of 41 (2171 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Mexico and violence

This list was just released today of the least and most dangerous US cities. New Orleans isn't included because, like Oaxaca, it has had a disfunctional police department and records are unreliable:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-30-city-crime-list_x.htm

norma2002

Oct 30, 2006, 4:29 PM

Post #40 of 41 (2115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] Mexico and violence

In Reply To
Finally! I think I got one!

" . . . nothing to fear but fear itself." Winston Churchill

That was President Roosevelt, not Winston Churchill!

TlxcalaClaudia

Oct 30, 2006, 5:28 PM

Post #41 of 41 (2090 views)

Shortcut

To follow-up or add on your Memphis comment Don...I feel VERY SAFE where I live in Pachuca, Hidalgo while I felt soooo unsafe in the suburbs (Marietta) of Atlanta, GA. If I am at the store as darkness hits, I do not worry about walking home alone. Now in Atlanta (and even in areas of Marietta) that was NOT the case. Mom visited, liked it so much and is now looking to buy a house here in Pachuca. Felt safe for the 2 of us females who were alone in Mexico.
Claudine
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4