Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

yocarlosyocarlosyoyo

Oct 27, 2006, 12:07 AM

Post #1 of 41 (6370 views)

Shortcut

Mexico and violence

Can't Post | Private Reply
The New York Times, Los Angeles Times and NPR have recently been running stories on the escalating violence in Mexico. The drug cartels seem to be running havoc all over the Republic. Why isn’t anyone talking about this on the forum?

Ed and Fran

Oct 27, 2006, 4:11 AM

Post #2 of 41 (6351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yocarlosyocarlosyoyo] Mexico and violence

Maybe because it's not actually happening "all over the republic". Not any drug related violence that I have heard about in my corner of the country (Tuxpan, Veracruz), so I don't have much reason to post about it.

Regards

Ed

Brian

Oct 27, 2006, 4:20 AM

Post #3 of 41 (6347 views)

Shortcut

Yo Yoyocarlos

Just read some of the numerous postings or do a search using the word "violence" on these fora. I get the distinct feeling that you are trolling this message board. Did you really pay the money to subscribe just the other day and not read through some of the existing content before writing what you just did?

Brian

toddmc

Oct 27, 2006, 6:35 AM

Post #4 of 41 (6313 views)

Shortcut

We are not talking about it out of fear punishment from the cartels, don't come down you wont be safe!
I barely survive with my bullet proof SUV and team of bodyguards.
Plus the kevlar vest is really hot in this mexican weather.

Todd

(This post was edited by toddmc on Oct 27, 2006, 6:38 AM)

Rolly

Oct 27, 2006, 7:03 AM

Post #5 of 41 (6298 views)

Shortcut

Sure, the drug gangs are killing each other down here just like they are doing in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and lots of other places up north. That's hardly news. Nor is it much of a concern for the non-drug dealing folks who hang out on MXC. So why spend a lot of effort posting about things that are not a part of our lives?

Rolly Pirate

viajita

Oct 27, 2006, 7:10 AM

Post #6 of 41 (6289 views)

Shortcut

This must be a slow time for the news reporters. When things slow down in one area the news folks tend to create news in another area. This drug cartel business is not new news here. I'd rather be here in Mexico than there.

(This post was edited by viajita on Oct 27, 2006, 7:11 AM)

yocarlosyocarlosyoyo

Oct 27, 2006, 8:02 AM

Post #7 of 41 (6267 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viajita] Mexico and violence

In Reply To
This must be a slow time for the news reporters. When things slow down in one area the news folks tend to create news in another area. This drug cartel business is not new news here. I'd rather be here in Mexico than there.

The drug cartel business is not new news, what is new is the amount of killings, kidnappings and beheadings this year. What also is new is the brazenness of some of the events. Ed and Fran don’t have to worry in Veracruz, but many of us on Mexico Connect who do live in Acupulco, Morelia, Patzcuaro, Uruapan, and Baja California need to.

esperanza

Oct 27, 2006, 8:34 AM

Post #8 of 41 (6251 views)

Shortcut

Yoyo, I think it's extremely important that all of us be aware of the drug-related violence in certain parts of Mexico, including the ones you mentioned. You didn't mention the states of Chihuahua and Tamaulipas, where drug-related violence has also escalated.

I don't, however, think it's necessary for us to worry about our own safety vis a vis the battles over control of the drug cárteles. Certainly anyone can be injured by a misdirected bullet, but it's unlikely that the narcotraficantes are looking for the retirees who post here.

The NYTimes article that's currently circulating is a johnny-come-lately to the drug-related news in Mexico. Responsible Mexican newspapers (La Jornada, Reforma, Milenio, El Informador, Público, etc) have been deeply concerned for months about the escalation of violence and frequency of killings.

By the way, do you know what yoyo means in Spanish? You might want to change your nickname.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Brian

Oct 27, 2006, 9:50 AM

Post #9 of 41 (6216 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexico and violence

Maybe he means "Yayo"...now that would be apropos to drugs.

Brian

yocarlosyocarlosyoyo

Oct 27, 2006, 10:46 AM

Post #10 of 41 (6202 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Mexico and violence

In Reply To
Maybe he means "Yayo"...now that would be apropos to drugs.

Brian

Brian, don't focus on me, give the subject some thought.

VSOP

Oct 27, 2006, 11:58 AM

Post #11 of 41 (6181 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

By the way, do you know what yoyo means in Spanish? You might want to change your nickname.

I'm dying of curiosity here. What does yoyo mean? Also, yayo? It it's real, real dirty please feel free to PM me. THANKS!

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

raferguson

Oct 27, 2006, 12:02 PM

Post #12 of 41 (6180 views)

Shortcut

My experience is that it is not politically correct on this forum to talk about crime and violence in Mexico, you will probably get flamed. If you start the thread the probability of getting flamed is higher.

I think that many of the people on the Mexconnect forums look at Mexico through rose colored glasses, and don't want to look at the bad side. The other issue is that crime is something that happens to the other guy, I am too careful, I live in a quiet town, etc.

On the other hand, crime varies from place to place, and is not a huge concern everywhere in Mexico. Certainly there are areas of the country where the criminals seem to have the upper hand, with the police afraid to act against them. Remember the police chief who lived only a few hours after he was sworn in? Reporters have also been targeted. There are also areas that are relatively quiet. Small towns tend to have lower crime rates than urban centers.

Did you catch the recent article on kidnapping in Tijuana? Apparently it is becoming a big problem there, they profiled a family that moved to San Diego after a family member was kidnapped.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Rolly

Oct 27, 2006, 12:18 PM

Post #13 of 41 (6173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] Mexico and violence

yayo, also spelled llallo = cocaine

yoyo = humm, let's not go there...

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Oct 27, 2006, 12:51 PM

Post #14 of 41 (6156 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The slang term "yo yo" always seems to mean some thing that goes back and forth, like a time piece/watch, it can also be applied to a person, who cannot make up their mind as to sexual preference.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gayla

Oct 27, 2006, 12:57 PM

Post #15 of 41 (6152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Mexico and violence

Richard

I live in San Diego and kidnappings in Tijuana are not uncommon. They have been well documented on both sides of the border. Up until recently the kidnappings were confined to Mexicans kidnapping other Mexicans and leaving non-Mexicans alone. All that has changed in the last 6 months. The top guy for 2 different maquiladoras were kidnapped, both were Asian, if I recall correctly. One incident had a happy ending; the guy escaped. The other incident, unforutnately, had a tragic ending. Extortion was the objective in both cases. It is not just wealthy Mexicans that have been the target of Tijuana kidnappings. Middle class families have also been victimized. It seems that if there is perception that a family has money, anywhere within the family structure, that they become a potential target. A large percentage of kidnappings in Tijuana go unreported for fear that corrupt cops are in on the kidnap scheme and the overriding desire to have family members returned in tact and alive. And many kidnappings do end with the kidnapped person being returned alive after a ransom is paid. There is growing concern on both sides of the border, however, that non-Mexicans are now being targeted and no one wants to see that trend expand.

So between the kidnappings, beheadings by the drug cartel(s) and corrupt criminal justice system, Tijuana has not been unaffected, finanically or emotionally. Hank Rohn - a VERY wealthy man - the mayor of Tijuana made an unprecdented visit to SANDAG (a regional economic development agency that works linking both SD and TJ) to reassure local businesses on both sides of the border that Tijuana was still a safe place to do business and visit. To his credit, Mayor Rohn (and I'm not sure I'm spelling that correctly) has made efforts to improve the seriously decrepid Tijuana infastructure and has taken about as hard a line with the local police force as any mayor has. As much as 60% of the local police force has been arrested or fired in the last few months in an effort to curb corruption and lawlessness. Additionally, he has requested and received federale and military reinforcements from Mexico City.

Tijuana/San Diego is still the worlds busiest border crossing with 60 million people a year. And some ungodly number of annual visitors to San Diego seem to think a quick trip to TJ is a must. The vast majority of these people are not kidnapped, they are not beheaded or otherwise murdered, nor are they the victim of a crime. Aside from the 3 American female tourists who were raped by corrupt cops a couple of years ago (a really repugnant crime, BTW, if ever there was one) the worst a tourist can expect in Tijuana is a shake down on questionable traffic violations. The border has always been a violent place because of the stakes involved in crossing (and not the legal kind). Between the often questionable direction the U.S. government may choose to go in and the economic desparation many Mexicans feel, it is not particularly likely the violence will diminish.

FWIW, I've been to Michoacan 3 times in the last 16 months. I haven't been to Tijuana, or even through it, for at least the last 4 years. Correct or not, my own perception is that I feel safer in Michoacan than I do in Tijuana.

esperanza

Oct 27, 2006, 1:07 PM

Post #16 of 41 (6147 views)

Shortcut

Where I live (Guadalajara) yoyo simply means that the person speaking can only talk about him or herself--yo yo yo yo--in other words, someone extremely self-involved and not interested in anything or anyone else.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Oct 27, 2006, 1:44 PM

Post #17 of 41 (6132 views)

Shortcut

I guess you folks don't have the same vulgar friends I have. The yoyo I know I wouldn't use in mixed Spanish-speaking company.

Rolly Pirate

Brian

Oct 27, 2006, 2:15 PM

Post #18 of 41 (6122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] Mexico and violence

In Reply To
Richard
Hank Rohn - a VERY wealthy man - the mayor of Tijuana made an unprecdented visit to SANDAG (a regional economic development agency that works linking both SD and TJ) to reassure local businesses on both sides of the border that Tijuana was still a safe place to do business and visit. To his credit, Mayor Rohn (and I'm not sure I'm spelling that correctly) has made efforts to improve the seriously decrepid Tijuana infastructure and has taken about as hard a line with the local police force as any mayor has.

Richard

Have you ever had occasion to read any issues of ZETA, the Tijuana newspaper dedicated to exposing the cartels and their connections with local government officials and businessmen? Here is a link with background information about Hank Rhon. I am still in amazement that he would have been elected mayor. His father, Carlos Hank, was one of the most powerful and wealthy men in Mexico until his recent death. He amassed his fortune despite a career in government work. He coined the famous phrase in Mexico "A politician who is poor is a poor politician".

http://www.cjr.org/issues/2005/4/umansky.asp

(This post was edited by Brian on Oct 27, 2006, 2:32 PM)

Bloviator

Oct 27, 2006, 2:25 PM

Post #19 of 41 (6117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Mexico and violence

I'm not sure if it was both fora (here and Chapala.com), but about a month or so ago, I started a discussion of crime, requesting that the discussion steer away from drug related crime. Very little in the way of serious crime against people such us was reported.

I used to work in South Central LA, Watts, Compton, Korea Town and El Monte in the LA area. I saw several bodies and had my office shot up and my office mate's desk and chair drilled so that if he had been sitting in the chair he would have been killed. That was random violence that, though aimed at gang members by other gang members, often resulted in innocent people getting killed. Living in Watts and Compton was dangerous for all concerned.

We have nothing like that Lakeside. I don't drive around back country dirt roads as I used to do in northern Arizona. I don't spend a lot of time in Laredo, Juarez, Tijuana, or on any road near Acapulco. Nevertheless, I do not feel near as threatened here as I did in LA or even in Ash Fork, Arizona where a couple of idiots were said to be wandering around town gunning for me because they didn't like the way I disciplined their children in the school.

As to Carlos yoyo. It doesn't seem to be any of our business what his sexual persuasion is. Remember, Ajijic is the gay nineties. You have to be gay or ninety to live here.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Oct 27, 2006, 2:27 PM)

bournemouth

Oct 27, 2006, 2:32 PM

Post #20 of 41 (6109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Mexico and violence

But Dick - you are neither gay nor ninety and you're living in Ajijic!

patricio_lintz

Oct 27, 2006, 6:01 PM

Post #21 of 41 (6062 views)

Shortcut

It can even be dangerous in Guad.-- If you go to cockfights where the Narcos. hang out for recreation! Someone might throw a grenade into the ring.

Not too long ago, it happened.

Poncho32

Oct 28, 2006, 5:23 PM

Post #22 of 41 (5963 views)

Shortcut

There is always a problem with all news media in magnifying what is actually happening at a given time and place. There is also the problem of way to many of us myself included that can not read spanish. So what are snow birds like myself to rely on for what is truly happening.
I constantly see questions posted on this forum and the travel forum looking for answers .
Who better can give those answers than the people involved.
Lets stop this chatter about thinking that someone or entity is trying make Mexico look bad, people are needing assurances where ever they can get it,weather they are looking to drive through New York or Mexico City.
Bud

Oscar2

Oct 29, 2006, 8:06 AM

Post #23 of 41 (5872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Mexico and violence

Lets stop this chatter about thinking that someone or entity is trying make Mexico look bad, people are needing assurances where ever they can get it, weather they are looking to drive through New York or Mexico City.

You hit the nail right on the head about “people needing assurances wherever they can get it.”

Guarantees, validation, a vote of confidence, and so it goes, has always loudly resonated when media fear/warning spikes are targeted “in your face” to yoke massive attention to its authors but also to propel and inflame the fear we all have known, and possibly just to well.

Flaming is sparked by a human condition belabored by instant replays, blood and guts smashed into our solar plexus with each turn of the page or channel. For many, paranoia rides sidesaddle with triggers ready to go off.

Since when has there not been violence in our midst? Malicious mind fed thought precludes “awareness” of the kind that has always told us, this is the human condition, this is our lot, it is-what it is and for ages has lived amongst and within us.

It’s a crapshoot! Common sense always plays into it but then again, there are always those who live vicariously and outlive many of us. In other words, how safe, is safe? Does one define safety based on tragedies which have never stopped or does safety come from what lingers and resides between ones ears?

“Awareness” can get you away from the buzz saw antics and noise of thought skillfully generated by the media spin doctors and served up to the pool of minds geared and waiting for the next salvo. It’s always been a part of our questionable human condition…………….

Is there an answer? Possibly. If you think long and hard about it, the mind will never get you there. Please remember, it’s the mind and its thought which got us here in the first place.

Who was it that once said, “The greatest fear in life is the fear of fear itself.”

Being “aware” of this, is a good start…..

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 29, 2006, 9:55 AM)

VSOP

Oct 29, 2006, 10:26 AM

Post #24 of 41 (5832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Mexico and violence

Finally! I think I got one!

" . . . nothing to fear but fear itself." Winston Churchill

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

TlxcalaClaudia

Oct 29, 2006, 10:42 AM

Post #25 of 41 (5821 views)

Shortcut

It is so dangerous here that I (a 35 year old female) traveled to Mexico alone and took up residence in a tiny apt in a city I never been to before in my life. I came here with my 4 year old and 6 year old daughters. Yes, we are in in this dangerous country called Mexico. Guess I like living on the edge.

:P
C.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4