Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MazDee

Oct 16, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #26 of 40 (2430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Thank you, I definitely will recommend Xcanatun to my friends from Timbuctoo. They are big drinkers, so I was impressed by the fact that there is a mini-bar in the bathroom. The only thing is, I don't know how to pronounce Xcanatun! Your advice is appreciated, as well as the phone number of a chauffeur, or chofer, with a nice limo who can drive them to the historical sites. He needs to be fluent in Timbuctooan. That shouldn't be a problem. Wow, I coulda said Mazatlán, but we ain't got nothin like this.

drfugawe

Oct 17, 2006, 5:48 AM

Post #27 of 40 (2402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Gringal wrote: "I wonder what percentage uses "fora" for the plural?"
----------------------------------

Ooooo, you're dangerous. I'll try to remember.
Nice one.
jm

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

yucatandreamer

Oct 17, 2006, 6:59 AM

Post #28 of 40 (2387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Xcanatun is only one of several high end Hacienda Boutique hotels in the Yucatan. Some of them are considerably more expensive than Xcanatun. I do not know about the hotel stay at the Hacienda, but the dining is wonderful and good value for your money. Fine dining(three courses)for less than $300mp per person. I think that many of the resort hotels in Cancun are equally expensive and probably have access to greater amounts of liquor, if that is the dream vacation your friends desire.

If someone wants a Hacienda experience at a much lower price, I recommend Hacienda Chichen at Chichen Itza. It is beautiful and peaceful. You can walk to Chichen Itza early in the morning before the tour buses and vendors arrive. In the evening you can take a private tour to Old Chichen, which is part of the Hotel grounds, and is not at present open to the public. It is in the process of being restored at this time.

As to the pronunciation of Xcanatun, X is pronounced "sh" in Mayan words, so it is Shcanatoon and Ooshmal(Uxmal)et cetera. You often find "X" in place names in this area and knowing that X = sh will keep your tongue from tripping over itself when asking directions.

sparks

Oct 17, 2006, 7:04 AM

Post #29 of 40 (2386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

In Reply To
Let's say the person had never been in Mexico before and was not likely to make a second trip.

That sounds like the kind of person you really have to try to convince that Mexico is OK .... but you have to send them some place 'civilized' to avoid catastrophe. I wouldn't try with someone I was convinced probably would not make other trips.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

jacpowell

Oct 17, 2006, 2:46 PM

Post #30 of 40 (2322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

I agree, Hacienda Chichen is exquisite. So many of the guests come with tours and only stay a couple of nights. We were there a week, and the staff seemed to adopt us. Very serene, quiet, and beautiful. In addition to the ruins at Chichen, we also went to a cavern nearby that held an underground river - can't think of the name - and it was fascinating.

Don Moore

Oct 20, 2006, 11:03 AM

Post #31 of 40 (2221 views)

Shortcut

I did not see in Jennifer's challenge a limitation to just one place. I may be a little off center, but I'd recommend Tepic Nayarit as a starting point, from which one could bus to the coast in an hour or so or to other coastal spots in a bit longer; drive to Guadalajara in three or four hours and get over to the lake from there; stop off in Ixtlan del Rio on the way back to Tepic; and/or visit Zacatecas (about four hours' drive). This would give a visitor a lot of perspective, including spending some time in a rather ordinary, but pleasant state capitol to see how pleasant ordinary life in Mexico can be in Mexico away from the glitz of a tourist mecca or the hubbub of a large city.

This is precisely what I plan to do the next time I am in Mexico.

OK, so you said cost is no object, but who needs to experience luxury to enjoy a place. What I want to do is know something about the place and its people, not about how rich food can be or how well appointed a hotel room can be. I could do that here in Memphis.
Don Moore

(This post was edited by Don Moore on Oct 20, 2006, 11:07 AM)

Bubba

Oct 20, 2006, 1:03 PM

Post #32 of 40 (2200 views)

Shortcut

Where to spend a single week in Mexico. Thatīs an easy one for those who have never been to Mexico before. There is only one choice.

You want:
Great authentic Mexican food just as you imagine it to be
A small community of only 2,200 souls but authentic Indian, Spanish, Mexican and Anglo influences
Traditional adobe architecture that is absolutely certain to fulfill your preconceived notions of what Mexico should look like.
No narcos, border agents, bothersome border crossings, non-English speakers, cabbage pickers

Yes, there is only one place:

Mesilla, New Mexico

Mesilla is the place Mexico wishes it was as well as the place you think Mexico is.

Who the hellīs going to know the difference? Most Americans think New Mexico is in Mexico anyway. Just tell them you were in Mesilla when they ask about your your trip SOB. If they look puzzled, just say,"You donīt mean to tell me you donīt know where Mesilla is do you?"

This way you get to support your local, By God USofA economy without going to that crappy place on the other side and possibly offending some armed Minuteman Good Ole Boy with a hankering to render justice when you come back.

And, get this, Mesilla is so close to the border that I understand an open air toy train tour is planned as soon as the wall is finished with authentic gun battles between heroic border guards and narcos and coyotes. You and the kids can thrill as thundering posses of brave Minutemen chase hapless illegal swine back toward that dreadful place you could have visited instead of the place the real Mexico should be.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Oct 20, 2006, 2:19 PM)

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 20, 2006, 3:22 PM

Post #33 of 40 (2173 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

By golly Bubba. You got my shorts in a bunch now. I'm gonna have to make Mesilla my first overnighter when I cross the border next Fall. Sounds like a place I'd like to visit. I assume they have a Permex nearby, but do you know if there's an RV park nearby.??
Have a great Friday....
Getting older and still not down here.

Bubba

Oct 20, 2006, 7:48 PM

Post #34 of 40 (2150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Ron, Ron, Ron:

This is New Mexico weīre talking about. Thereīs always an RV park nearby. Thatīs like asking if thereīs a meth lab in the nearest trailer park in South Alabama. The appropriate question is is there not a meth lab there.

By the way, for those of you who donīt know, there is a Mesilla, New Mexico and itīs just on the south side of I-10 at Las Cruces. Itīs actually a fun place to stop on your cross country journey with lots of fun (if mediocre) restaurants, places to get likkered up and quite the rustic adobe look. I was having a little fun with it but, what the hell, youīre probably on your way to Knotts Berry Farm anyway so donīt get tooty with me. Iīm just trying to save yīáll the disappointment of visiting the real Mexico where Taco Bells are hard to find.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 20, 2006, 8:14 PM

Post #35 of 40 (2141 views)

Shortcut

No Taco Bells ??? Oh my gawd Bubba. I didn't think such a place existed outside of our galaxy. I'll still stop at Mas.... Mis....Mesilla even though it's in NEW Mexico. Sounds like a final place toget my kilts unwrapped anyway.

PS: I haven't been to Knotts berry farm since they stopped growing berries & changed the crop to hemp.

Papirex

Oct 20, 2006, 8:46 PM

Post #36 of 40 (2134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

About ten or twelve years ago, Taco Bell opened one or two of their restaurants in Mexico City. No customers. They closed them one month later. People in this country prefer to eat genuine Mexican food, not the make believe stuff that TB sells. It takes too much imagination to try to believe it is Mexican food.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 20, 2006, 8:52 PM

Post #37 of 40 (2132 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Y'all know..... Maybe I should open a Taco Bell up here & only hire sick eagles to heve the authentic Mexican flavored food. Now lets see. Where can I buy a ton of lard and a chichawa ?????

mxriko1

Oct 25, 2006, 12:25 PM

Post #38 of 40 (2072 views)

Shortcut

Hello Everybody

One of my favorite Hotels at Guadalajara is Hotel Malibu, you can contact Senor Jose Antonio Garibay he is the manager.
www.hotelmalibu.com.mx

Guadalajara I the second biggest City of Mexico and one of the most beautiful places. Tequila and Mariachis originated at Jalisco ( the State) so you get very good flavor of Mexico. the people are very friendly and from there you can easily go on to Puerto Vallarta. Or take the Tequila Express train to the Village of Tequila! Great for the drinking type folks.

My direct email is mxriko1@hotmail.com

Saludos
Richard

Bloviator

Oct 26, 2006, 5:20 AM

Post #39 of 40 (2042 views)

Shortcut

Mesilla may be bereft of the great cultural delights of fast food, but Las Cruces and Mesilla Park adjacent has it all, Taco Bell to McDonalds. It does have a plaque memorializing the plaza as the site of the signing of the Gadsden Purchase agreement.

Oddly, I was talking with a woman leaving for Mesilla just last week. I couldn't remember the name of the steakhouse or the Fountain family Bar across the plaza (If they are still there). I'm sure you can help me out Bubba. What are they?

jennifer rose

Oct 26, 2006, 6:55 AM

Post #40 of 40 (2025 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Can't Post |
We're talking about Mexico -- not New Mexico. Stay on topic, folks.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4