Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

tonyburton

Oct 24, 2006, 1:02 PM

Post #1 of 24 (8538 views)

Shortcut

Forum Posting Problem

Can't Post | Private Reply
Quote from an e-mail about a Forum Posting problem:

"For the last two days, I've not been able to post a reply in the threads on the forum. I can view them in preview post, but they never make it to the forum. When I post, all that shows up is the quote if I'm quoting someone. I'm using IE beta 7, but have been using it for the past 2 months with no problem. So, my ? is, is there a problem on your end, or, all of a sudden is it something I'm not doing right ?"

To the best of my knowledge, no changes have been made to our Forum software (yet), but, just in case, I'm checking this with our techies in Vancouver.

So, any suggestions as to how this problem originated, or can easily be resolved?

Rolly

Oct 24, 2006, 1:59 PM

Post #2 of 24 (8524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Forum Posting Problem

I'm using IE7 with no problems. Perhaps the OP should update the Beta version with the final release.

Rolly Pirate

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 24, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #3 of 24 (8521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Forum Posting Problem

I do have the final release Rolly so Msoft says, but all the bugs are not out of it yet especially as pertains to Ms and Suns arguement about whose Jscript is better. Thanks to your post in the other forum i'm working again, but damn, I'm awfully tired after trying to figure it out for so many hours. Maybe I'll just relax today, pour a few, and catch up tomorrow.
Getting older and still not down here.

sfmacaws

Oct 24, 2006, 2:16 PM

Post #4 of 24 (8520 views)

Shortcut

When I post, all that shows up is the quote if I'm quoting someone. I'm using IE beta 7, but have been using it for the past 2 months with no problem.

I'm using IE7 with no problems. Perhaps the OP should update the Beta version with the final release.

Rolly

Could it be the quote function Rolly? You've said several times that you believe it to be broken but I've never had a problem with it, perhaps the problem is in IE and not MC? I use Firefox.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

(This post was edited by sfmacaws on Oct 24, 2006, 2:17 PM)

Rolly

Oct 24, 2006, 2:59 PM

Post #5 of 24 (8513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Forum Posting Problem

The quote function does not work for most people, so I keep telling folks not to use it. In my own experience, I have found it works for me once in a great while.

The confusing thing is that when you view your post in the preview mode, it appears to be working OK. But when you make the post, everything after the quote is lost. It seems that many folks don't go back to look at their post after making it, thus they don't know it hasn't worked.

For the past several years I've been suggesting to David that the elves in Vancouver should either fix the problem or delete the function because it messes up a lot of posts.

Please don't excuse the rant because it really pisses me off that an obvious defect has remained for so many years.

Rolly Pirate

sfmacaws

Oct 24, 2006, 3:13 PM

Post #6 of 24 (8508 views)

Shortcut

Have you tried it in another browser? I always go to look at my post and I've never seen it not work. I still think the problem could be IE. I use the quote function quite often, it just always works in Firefox.

The quote function does not work for most people, so I keep telling folks not to use it. In my own experience, I have found it works for me once in a great while.

You do have to paste what you want to quote within the quote lines and you have to put your response outside the quote lines but that isn't rocket science. I don't know, my guess is it is the way IE interprets the html. They've never been good at standards other than their own, it's the MS way.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

arbon

Oct 24, 2006, 5:32 PM

Post #7 of 24 (8493 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
TEST IE7

In Reply To
Have you tried it in another browser? I always go to look at my post and I've never seen it not work. I still think the problem could be IE. I use the quote function quite often, it just always works in Firefox.

You do have to paste what you want to quote within the quote lines and you have to put your response outside the quote lines but that isn't rocket science. I don't know, my guess is it is the way IE interprets the html. They've never been good at standards other than their own, it's the MS way.

TEST IE7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This post was edited by arbon on Oct 24, 2006, 5:33 PM)

arbon

Oct 24, 2006, 5:43 PM

Post #8 of 24 (8488 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Rolly, in IE 7, go to Tools,Internet Options, Accessibility, uncheck all boxs in Formatting.

(4 empty boxes)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rolly

Oct 24, 2006, 6:07 PM

Post #9 of 24 (8484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Forum Posting Problem

In Reply To
Rolly, in IE 7, go to Tools,Internet Options, Accessibility, uncheck all boxs in Formatting.

(4 empty boxes)

They were already unchecked, but it still did not work. I got this result by starting in the advanced editor to make the quote and then switching to the basic editor to add this text.

I wish I could explain the problem. It has happened to me with IE6 and IE7 on both my computers -- one with SE98 and the other with XP. And it happens to many others.

It does not matter where the fault lies, a public program should work correctly with all browsers -- especially the most widely used one. I post quotes on other message board without failures.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Oct 24, 2006, 6:27 PM

Post #10 of 24 (8477 views)

Shortcut

According to my HTML book, neither Reply nor Quote are standard codes. I suppose they are something that Gossamer Forum created. I believe the flaw lies with these homemade functions.

Rolly Pirate

tonyburton

Oct 24, 2006, 6:28 PM

Post #11 of 24 (8476 views)

Shortcut

Dear Rolly and others,
We understand your frustration but ask that you please be patient for just a little longer...
The quote function problem has been fixed in the new version of our forum software, which should be fully operational before the end of the year. The delay is to ensure full compatability between our customised community (administrative) software system and the new, upgraded versions of the forum and e-mail systems. I know it's no consolation, but your frustration is matched by our own, since we'd certainly hoped to have everything fully updated well before this! Regards,
Tony

johanson / Moderator

Oct 24, 2006, 6:44 PM

Post #12 of 24 (8471 views)

Shortcut

Why not just cut (or copy) and paste?

Papirex

Oct 24, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #13 of 24 (8464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Forum Posting Problem

Pete, that’s the way I have always done it on the few occasions that I have wanted to quote someone. I also always write my posts, or replies in my word processor (MS Word) and then copy and paste them in to the reply box, or as a new post.

I started writing my posts and replies in my word processor after I lost a post in cyberspace one time. Besides having a good spell and grammar checker, there are other benefits. One time a string had been locked when I went to post a reply to it. I still had my post in MS Word, so I just started a new string. I never delete what I have written in MS Word until I see that my post has copied to the forum OK.

I have found out that if I put an emoticon in Word, it will not copy in a post. I need to type it into the blue reply box to have them appear Frown

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Oct 24, 2006, 7:42 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Oct 24, 2006, 8:30 PM

Post #14 of 24 (8455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Forum Posting Problem

Heck Rex, I Can't even remember how to use the method Tony and the folks are talking about for making a copy. All I can do is copy and paste that which I want to quote in my next post and then put quotes around it. Smile

sfmacaws

Oct 24, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #15 of 24 (8454 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, quotes are usually done with a cascading style sheet which is very much current html. There are standards and they are not dependent on MS or any other browser but the reverse, the browsers are expected to comply with the standards. IE is notorious for not fully complying, in particular it has problems with cascading style sheets. Whether that is the problem here or not, I don't know. Here is some info about how quotes can be specified in a cascading style sheet.

All this aside, from Arbon's post it appears it is not an IE problem.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Rolly

Oct 24, 2006, 10:19 PM

Post #16 of 24 (8445 views)

Shortcut

I think you meant Tony Burton. He acknowledged that it is a software problem.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Oct 25, 2006, 8:36 AM

Post #17 of 24 (8429 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Jonna, I can change some settings on IE7 as I did on IE6 and IE5, IE4, get the quote function to work on Mexccon', (some times)

But then I would have trouble on all other web sites, so I don't.

All other web sites are compatable with IE6-7 that I have been on, I had had the idea that it was some thing to do with the " Gossamer Forum " being put together on a "MAC'".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sfmacaws

Oct 25, 2006, 11:15 AM

Post #18 of 24 (8417 views)

Shortcut

Heh! Just what we need about now, a mac vs pc discussion! I saw your Test post from IE and it looked like it worked fine, didn't know you had to change settings. Yes, I'm sure it is a Gossamer problem although I didn't know Gossamer was created on a mac. Was it created on a mac or is it running on a mac server or both? I know little to nothing about forum software, I use it and even though there are some I like a lot better than others I don't even look to see what they are. I'm hoping my future never holds the horror of me setting up and running a forum.

I suppose I should have said that I am on a pc running Firefox, not a mac. I do have a mac (well, we call it Mimi's) and could test it on one but my day to day puter is a 12" Sony Vaio. I only use the mac for web stuff and sometimes graphics but that has more to do with where I have the programs I like and the larger screen. Among my other perversions, I'm bi-OS'd - almost tri-OS'd as I am semi fluent in linux as well.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

tonyburton

Oct 25, 2006, 11:39 AM

Post #19 of 24 (8413 views)

Shortcut

All other web sites are compatable with IE6-7 that I have been on, I had had the idea that it was some thing to do with the "Gossamer Forum" being put together on a "MAC'".

Warning to readers: don't believe everything you read!
Arbon, where did this MAC idea come from??

arbon

Oct 25, 2006, 1:06 PM

Post #20 of 24 (8402 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Tony, this idea came from the few people that admit to having a "Mac" and that also have trouble with many web sites. (but not Mexconnect ed)

I believe that David "Mac" had/has a "Mac".

So the question could be "Does any one who has a "Mac" also have trouble with the 'Gossamer Forum' ?"

Or is it just PCs that have trouble?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sparks

Oct 25, 2006, 1:16 PM

Post #21 of 24 (8400 views)

Shortcut

Maybe these colores look different on a MAC as well ???

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

arbon

Oct 25, 2006, 1:37 PM

Post #22 of 24 (8396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Forum Posting Problem

Can't Post |
Sparks, when you get to certain age, there is only one acceptable colour, and that is "Beige".

It is perfectly coordinated with all other colours. (except maybe black socks with brown sandals)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tonyburton

Oct 25, 2006, 2:05 PM

Post #23 of 24 (8392 views)

Shortcut

We know (and admit) there are some issues with Macs and our site systems. We are keeping our fingers crossed that all these Mac-related issues become a thing of the past after the upgrades. Despite his name, David McL does not have a Mac (and I can't remember him ever having one), though he, you and I probably all own/owned a mack.
In Tosh, Tony

morgaine7

Oct 25, 2006, 9:24 PM

Post #24 of 24 (8377 views)

Shortcut

So the question could be "Does any one who has a "Mac" also have trouble with the 'Gossamer Forum' ?"

I access MexConnect with a Mac (using Firefox) and don't seem to have any trouble except the occasional "user error" :-)

Kate <-- testing the quote function

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4