Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sfmacaws

Oct 18, 2006, 1:56 PM

Post #1 of 26 (4155 views)

Shortcut

GPS Mapping software

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm down to the wire and intend to buy some additional mapping software of Mexico for my gps. Here are the 2 that I am considering http://www.gmap.com.mx/es/11_info.htm and http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/Mexico_Atlas_GPS_En.htm. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I'm leaning towards the Bici map because it says it has city detail for more cities than the other. It is also $50 more expensive but that would be worth it if it is a good map. Either of these maps can be uploaded to a Garmin gps using MapSource. Anyone see anything that makes one significantly better than the other? I'm sure I've missed something, map data is not an area I've spent a lot of time researching. I use them and I like detail but how they describe it and how it translates into tech terms I am not up on.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 18, 2006, 2:20 PM

Post #2 of 26 (4139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] GPS Mapping software

That's a hard call Jonna. I lean toward the Bici as well and would add the extra $10 for the topo. One word though, if it's a download, be sure to burn it to CD. These hard drives seem to give up the ghost at the most inappropiate times. Murphy is always looking over your shoulder.
Getting older and still not down here.

sfmacaws

Oct 18, 2006, 2:40 PM

Post #3 of 26 (4134 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] GPS Mapping software

add the extra $10 for the topo

hmmm, it didn't seem to me that the topo had everything the 'normal' one did. Also, I am not good at reading topo maps and all those squiggly lines make it hard for me to see the roads and towns that I really want to see. I don't know if I could turn that part off so I wasn't planning on getting the topo version. I think these maps originated from bicyclists who are obviously really interested in grades and such, less so for me.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 18, 2006, 4:04 PM

Post #4 of 26 (4127 views)

Shortcut

Hi Jonna,
I'm not sure if the topo is an overlay which would just show that info over the top of the map. IMO for my use it would have to be switchable (on-off) as well for the reason you state. My reason for being interested in the topo part is just curiosity about the changes in elevation so I know what I'm getting myself in for. A 32' 20,000 pound motorhome could theoretically have a problem for some of those hills SOB. Not to mention gas mileage.

Whatever you do please let me know. I haven't bought a GPS as of yet because there isn't much Mexican info available with the exception of these two, and this would add to my knowlege.
Thanks,
Have a good day.

Oscar2

Oct 18, 2006, 5:51 PM

Post #5 of 26 (4118 views)

Shortcut

A couple of days ago I spoke to a vendor of another map producing company, perhaps it was the one your looking at and he commented that the only Mexican Auto Routing software, to his knowledge, was Garmin.

I asked what he meant by that and he simply said, (in lieu of perhaps losing a sale) Auto Routing, which includes verbal English announcement apprising you of up and coming right/left turn or distances to destination and a myriad of other informative audio/visual features which also include rerouting you to your destination should you get lost or make a wrong turn, are just not available and not as glitzy as Garmin’s.

I further enquired for more details about his or other map software and he merely said others perform like just having a page out of a map for viewing on your screen. They are not as interactive as Garmin’s, City Select® Mexico NT v2.

http://www.garmin.com/...cityselectMexico.jsp

The aspect of more maps for more cities is also attractive and as much traveling as I know you do, this may be the ticket to ride.

I ordered City Select® Mexico NT v2 yesterday. I intend to use it next month. In the interim, I’ll load the SD card when it arrives and test it at home to get a better idea of how it works. Albeit, the real test is down south.

I’m using the Garmin, Street Pilot 7200 GPS.

sfmacaws

Oct 18, 2006, 7:29 PM

Post #6 of 26 (4104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] GPS Mapping software

Oscar, the 7200 is the gps I'm considering buying. I have a garmin map76 and I've loved it for over 5 years but it is a little long in the tooth and my eyes are not getting any better so I would like a larger screen, more memory and a color display. The 7200 (and the 7500) have a very large, color screen that I like a lot. I could still use my more portable map76 in the jeep or take it wherever in my pocket. Another plus for one of the maps I linked is that they can be loaded onto my existing map76 although only in pieces as it doesn't have enough memory for the entire map. The Garmin map is only available on a memory card I believe and my old gps doesn't have that option.

Autorouting is one of those things that you either love or hate, I fall closer to the hate column. I dislike machines talking to me and when I've ridden with friends who have it, it drives me nuts. I can still hear that voice saying "off course, recalculating" over and over. Plus, usually Mimi drives and I am the navigator so the need for verbal directions from the gps is much less. If I were traveling alone I'd probably get over it and use it, it's better than having to read a map (paper or gps) while driving or having to pull over to look. So, the lack of autorouting in Mexico is not a big detraction for me. Mainly I'm interested in how much detail there is in cities (which is where it is easiest to get lost), how many small roads are shown, and whether I have to put my glasses on to read it.

Looking at the coverage map from Garmin it doesn't look like it has very good coverage except in northern and central Mexico and along major highways, it shows no coverage at all in my part of southern Mexico for example. That's another reason it isn't on my short list of maps to buy.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

toddmc

Oct 18, 2006, 10:22 PM

Post #7 of 26 (4087 views)

Shortcut

Hello

I have the bicimaps but have nothing to compare it to for Mexico.
I have found that auto routing is more than the talking voice.
I am use to using the garmin map north of the border and you tell it which two waypoints and it will build a route from them using the roads in between.
Do that with the bicimaps and it will give you a straight line between the two.
Easy enough to take the time to make your own waypoints along the route, which is what I have done on.

Topo or not?
Well, I got the non topo map first and a few months later I was wondering what the upgrade would cost.
I emailed him and he only charged me $15 US and now I have both maps.
I dont know if that is standard, but he is a very helpful fellow and it wouldnt surprise me if it is.

What questions could I answer for you to help you with your decision?

Todd

sfmacaws

Oct 19, 2006, 1:56 AM

Post #8 of 26 (4084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] GPS Mapping software

That would be great. Let's try this. Can you input lat and long coordinates and have it show you the spot? If so, put these in 20.676245 N -103.394775 W That's an intersection in Guadalajara, see if it will give you the street names. I don't know that it will accept the way mexican addresses are written but try for calle 62 #462 or just see if you can find calle 62 in the city of Mérida, Yucatan. Another option is to look in Quintana Roo, there is a road that goes west from Tulum on the coast, it splits about 30 km inland near Cobá and the right hand split goes all the way to just east of Valladolid where it crosses the toll road from Cancun to Mérida. That part of the road, from past Cobá to the Cancun toll road, was built in the last 6 to 8 years and is not on many maps that I've seen.

Or, just zoom in on a city like Guadalajara and see if you think you could navigate the streets shown, is there enough detail?

Thanks,

Oh! Can you turn off the topo part? Sounds like you got a separate map but I wonder if you only had the topo map could you drop the squiggly lines if you wanted?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

(This post was edited by sfmacaws on Oct 19, 2006, 1:58 AM)

toddmc

Oct 19, 2006, 5:23 AM

Post #9 of 26 (4075 views)

Shortcut

Hello

I have attached a number of screen shots that cover the questions you asked so you can see the detail for yourself.
As it will only let one attachment per post I will make multiple posts.
The first is the waypoint in Guad at a medium zoom.

Searching for a street I believe needs the routing data built into the map, which this doesn't have, I can search for cities but not streets or restaurants or hotels etc.

I havent been able to turn off the topo feature but I havent looked too hard as I have both maps. It may be toggleable but I am unable to find how.

The amount of detail in both Guad and Merida are fairly substantial but in other citys, like Morelia, near me, the level of detail is not the same.

Todd
Attachments: guad Med Z.jpg (149 KB)

toddmc

Oct 19, 2006, 5:23 AM

Post #10 of 26 (4074 views)

Shortcut

Guad waypoint, closer
Attachments: Guad.jpg (80.8 KB)

toddmc

Oct 19, 2006, 5:24 AM

Post #11 of 26 (4073 views)

Shortcut

Calle 42 in Merida
Attachments: calle 42.jpg (82.6 KB)

toddmc

Oct 19, 2006, 5:25 AM

Post #12 of 26 (4072 views)

Shortcut

Streets from Coba.

Please keep in mind these maps still need to use the Garmin Mapsource software, you just recieve the datafile to load into the garmin software.

Todd

(This post was edited by toddmc on Oct 19, 2006, 5:28 AM)
Attachments: coba.jpg (175 KB)

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 19, 2006, 8:27 AM

Post #13 of 26 (4053 views)

Shortcut

Just a bit of additional info:
On my trip down last March I used mSoft streets & Trips (or whatever the name was) and it did have the main routes (old main routes i.e. Libre) and a very, very limited map of several main cities. I did find that I could enter gps coordinates for Johansens casa in Ajijic, and it did take me to those coordinates with a few of the streets shown. Unfortunatly, he had his gates locked and barred.
So far I haven't been able to find any updates for Mexico with that system. NOB I think it's on a par with Garmin, if not easier & better.
I think there may be Mexican info for the $89 Delorme gps system used with a laptop, but haven't had time to investigate it. I do "sort of but not real sure" recomember that the software you were asking about could be used with Delorme as well.

Oscar2

Oct 19, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #14 of 26 (4033 views)

Shortcut

I dislike machines talking to me and when I've ridden with friends who have it, it drives me nuts. I can still hear that voice saying "off course, recalculating" over and over. Plus, usually Mimi drives and I am the navigator so the need for verbal directions from the gps is much less.

Jonna a big 10---4. I hear you. When we’re driving and on the hunt for a particular location the upside of an incessant nagger/chatter-box heaping demands on you to turn here, do this and do that you can scream back, while in your little bubble. like a release valve, obscenities included, to vent, as needed. The downside is he/she's (voice) doesn’t give a hoot and keeps jabbering like a nut. Luckily the hand remote control included, allows one to squelch.

I think the positive edge of the Garmin 7200, is it will definitely get you to it's well listed, big city hotels, tiendas, parks, points of interest, Mexican addresses and a myriad of other sorted digs and when the voice is just to unbearable, the handy remote control (included) allows you or anyone else, when needed, to mute or just lower the volume where it's barely perceptible.

I agree, although this big baby and the oversized screen for the visually compromised is a God send, it’s a bit pricey (I think I've seen a price drop and if purchased at Costco mail order, it's returnable if your unhappy with it) but like everything else there are trade-offs. You make a choice and roll with it.

Make sure, I’m not yet completely sold on the virtues of City Select® Mexico NT v2. I will be focused mainly on Guad this time around and a thorough guidance system is what I look for in this big city since I will be spending a considerable amount of time there driving and sometimes alone without my usual co-pilot and I haggling as to who is reading the map the right way……..sheeeez Wink

I’ll keep you posted as results come about.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 19, 2006, 11:12 AM)

sfmacaws

Oct 19, 2006, 12:17 PM

Post #15 of 26 (4016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] GPS Mapping software

Wow Todd, Thank you! That is great. I'm happy with the detail in all of the pics. The road I'm talking about near Cobá shows uncompleted on the map but it doesn't show up at all on many maps. It goes to Chemax, that's the name of the town I couldn't remember. I'm going to buy the regular one, I really don't need the topo.

For Ron, I do generally look at a paper topo map befoe we take the RV over a new road but I can't really say that it gives me a lot of info. More accurate in my opinion is when the road has a LOT of squiggles, that means it is going up or down pretty steeply. I do pay attention though as Mimi will give me a raft of it if I take her over a huge pass without warning her. The last time I did that it was a "shortcut" I saw on the map between the toll road from GDL to DF, it runs from Atlacomulco to Tepotzotlan which is where we were going. That "shortcut" took us many hours ending in an after dark climb over and down a large mountain on a narrow road into the bowl of DF. It also had many small towns having Saturday market on the main street that we had to go down, lots of getting trucks to move, handcarts, etc. I was so rattled after that I missed the turn off and we ended up on the freeway into DF at 8pm on a Sat night. OMG! I may never hear the end of that one! Now I at least 'look' at a topo map before suggesting a route. Also, I find MS Streets & Trips to be the best of the lot for computers but really bad as a map. It also seems to crash a lot when routing live with a gps. Like a lot of MS software, it has a lot of knick knack stuff it can do that I would never need and it is missing some things I consider important. That's in the US. I use the base world map from Garmin (MapSource) in Mexico, it's very basic but does have many towns and most highways although not always the toll road if it is new. It has very little detail in cities, just roads in and out usually. It's enough to keep you heading in the right direction and that's about it. I'm hoping for more with this new one.

Todd, I can't thank you enough. That is the info I needed to feel more confident about buying the Bici map. It's nice to know that the owner is a good guy that responds to email too. Breaking out the credit card... I'm buying it!

ps Esperanza, did you see the location of that intersection in GDL? Thought you might recognize it<g> It was the only place in a big city I had lat and long coordinates for.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Oct 19, 2006, 12:20 PM

Post #16 of 26 (4015 views)

Shortcut

Oh, I meant to say to Ron. If you use coordinates any gps will take you to the spot. Some don't even have maps in them at all, mainly they are used by hikers and people who are following a course. So, it will take you to Johanson's house but whether or not it shows the roads getting there is due to the map that is overlayed on the coordinates. I hope that makes more sense.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 19, 2006, 1:09 PM

Post #17 of 26 (4008 views)

Shortcut

That makes sense Jonna. What was a big surprise was that it did show the small roads up the hill to Petes place off the main road through Ajijic. I still don't understand how it did it.

Goody2shs

Oct 21, 2006, 10:23 PM

Post #18 of 26 (3958 views)

Shortcut

I'm jealous seeing you all talk of gps info. for Mexico. Would anyone living in or near Guadalajara be able to contact a Mercedes Benz dealer there (there are two) and ask if they have discs of Mexico for their vehicles? I would call them, but unfortunately don't know how to express my request in Spanish. I've tried here in the US and can't get anything. We'll be driving down the end of November and would love to have a disc for the system the MB uses, or possibly pick one up while there. Hopefully Esperanza will see this post? You are always so helpful and knowledgeable as well.

Oscar2

Oct 23, 2006, 9:35 AM

Post #19 of 26 (3929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goody2shs] GPS Mapping software

In 2003 I purchased a new Mercedes S500 and it came stocked with an onboard GPS. In addition they supplied a series of additional GPS disks which was fragmented into various parts of the country plus Canada.

Prior to the Mercedes, I owned a Lexus with GPS and since it was manufactured in Japan, the GPS technology IMO was far more superior and user friendly then the even later model Mercedes GPS. I think what has a great bearing on what is available for your GPS maybe linked to the age of your car. What year is it?

After retiring in 2005 and having already been exposed to Mexconnect for a while, it became apparent it was time to get into something less targetable that could ride the cobblestone, rugged ruts and topos of Mexico. So in 2005 I sold the Mercedes and got into an Acura MDX midsize SUV. It’s updated “voice command feature” not only controls the GPS and climate control but my favorite is the onboard hands free Blue Tooth, cell phone operation. It looks like almost every other midsize SUV found in groves in Mexico and IMHO, feels less targetable which gives me that extra sense of security I need due to past negative experiences with glitzy exposure.

What sometimes boggles the mind is how they manage to sell a luxury vehicle such as the Mercedes in Mexico and not include a Mexican mapped GPS. Have you actually tried to call a big city like Guad or DF where such a vehicle is sold? I’m almost sure because of it’s price point, someone speaks English.

I took the initiative and Googled and called the Mercedes dealerships down south in Guad and in no uncertain terms, he said Mexico GPS for the Mercedes is not yet available. He also said something was in the works and if it came about it would be several months in the future. Your guess is as good as mine.

If you need further confirmation check Mercedes International:

http://www.mercedes.com.mx/clases/index.html

The dealership I called:

Merben Automotriz
Av. , Patria 1993, Puerta de Hierro
Zapopan, Jalisco, 45110
(33) 3640 0183

Buena Suerte!

Goody2shs

Oct 23, 2006, 11:30 AM

Post #20 of 26 (3913 views)

Shortcut

Thank you very much Oscar2 for your detailed reply. Yes, we too have very seriously considered selling this car (it's a 2002 ML500) and exchanging it for something less "obtrusive" for travel in Mexico. However, after advertising extensively and also inquiring into trade-in value, all responses were unfortunately negative. Since time is running out for us to continue advertising it and the offered trade-in values were laughable, we have decided to keep it and just wing it down there. Since we'll be there only a month, we thought we might be o.k. Perhaps we'll smear it with mud and dirt and then it won't appear so "rich"?! So silly actually, because the value of this car is lower than a new Toyota or other everyday car one sees on the roads any more.

But we purchased a new Guia Roji guide, so will have to depend on that when we travel down there. Sounds like you have a beautiful car, and thanks for the inquiry at the dealership. Really appreciate it.

bournemouth

Oct 23, 2006, 4:18 PM

Post #21 of 26 (3893 views)

Shortcut

Your vehicle won't be as conspicuous as you think. There are many Mercedes vehicles here, most with Jalisco plates. Please don't worry so much. Most of the owners of those vehicles can likely buy and sell all of us with no problems.

Goody2shs

Oct 23, 2006, 10:09 PM

Post #22 of 26 (3876 views)

Shortcut

I would like to add one more thing to the gps availability for Mexico. Reluctantly I confess that my better half and I are addicted to a Spanish telenovela, primarily to practice our understanding of the language among all the schmalz, but also find they have tremendous entertainment value. During one recent episode, one of the parties in the plot was accosted in the street in Mexico City I believe, and had his car stolen by the perpetrators. Since such stories often involve the wealthy, the victim's car I believe was a BMW or similar expensive make. When he reported the crime to the police, he mentioned that his car had a built in gps system and thus was traceable as to its whereabouts. Luckily they were able to find it again and also catch the thieves that way.

That's what made me think that perhaps Mercedes in Mexico might have gps software for that vehicle's system. Anyhow, it's going to be interesting to see what happens once we cross the border with our system. I suppose the lady that gives directions on ours would suddenly have to switch over to Spanish. Do you think she'll have an American accent?

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 23, 2006, 10:18 PM

Post #23 of 26 (3874 views)

Shortcut

That's what made me think that perhaps Mercedes in Mexico might have gps software for that vehicle's system

They have GPS capability but not the mapping capability for their system within Mexico.

sfmacaws

Oct 24, 2006, 2:06 AM

Post #24 of 26 (3866 views)

Shortcut

Sound like a Low Jack system, at least that's what it's called in Calif. OnStar would be similar I think in that the gps does broadcast it's location to a central facility. That's not something that is necessary to a gps system, it's an add on service and additional hardware. Why does this always make me think of OJ driving down the freeway on his cell phone? Totally different system...

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

toddmc

Nov 15, 2006, 7:10 AM

Post #25 of 26 (3803 views)

Shortcut

Hey Jonna

Just wanted to touch base and see what you thought of you new mapping software for Mexico.
It might be helpful for other to have a review from someone other than me!

All the best.

Todd
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4