First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 24, 2006, 11:45 AM

Post #26 of 43 (1335 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Dream a Little

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
I hear people say here in the forum that Mexican workers make IN MEXICO's auto plants $8 to $10 US Dlls. an hour ?

I must be seeing things, that $8 to $10 US Dll. is what they make IN A DAY !

Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Oct 24, 2006, 11:54 AM)

Rolly

Oct 24, 2006, 12:39 PM

Post #27 of 43 (1316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Dream a Little

Ron, please don't use the QUOTE function. It's broken. It messes up your posts.

Rolly Pirate

Don Moore

Oct 24, 2006, 1:35 PM

Post #28 of 43 (1306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony] Dream a Little - BIG PICTURE

Tony/

The idea of moving freely need not include the right to work at any job within any country. In fact, it need not even include the right to reside permanently. It could include time limitations as Mexico's FMT now does. Free movement could exclude various rights afforded to citizens of a given nation.
Don Moore

arbon

Oct 24, 2006, 1:51 PM

Post #29 of 43 (1300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Dream a Little - BIG PICTURE

Can't Post |
"The idea of moving freely need not include the right to work at any job within any country. In fact, it need not even include the right to reside permanently. It could include time limitations as Mexico's FMT now does. Free movement could exclude various rights afforded to citizens of a given nation."

I notice that foreigners are going down to Mexico, and eating in restaurants, and then becoming "Food Critics" on an FMT.

Is that considered by the Mexican government a "Tourist Pursuit"?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony

Oct 24, 2006, 3:46 PM

Post #30 of 43 (1278 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Dream a Little - BIG PICTURE

Hello Don,
Since nfabq did not get into the details of his remove the border post, one cannot know
what type of rights/restrictions would come with the package. Simply being able to cross the border
but not reside or work is close to what we have now sans the long waits at the borders?
Tony

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."

ekammin

Oct 24, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #31 of 43 (1249 views)

Shortcut

Not so long ago, there was a survey taken in both the U.S. and Canada as to whether the U.S. and Canada should merge. About 65% of the people polled in the U.S. thought it was a good idea, but only about 13% of Canadians polled agreed.

It seems that such concepts as capital punishment, medical care for the maximum profit obtainable and the U.S. "gun culture" turn a lot of Canadians off.

nfabq

Oct 24, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #32 of 43 (1244 views)

Shortcut

You need to be led by the hand? Deal with the questions.

Norm

captmuno

Oct 24, 2006, 8:28 PM

Post #33 of 43 (1237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Dream a Little

My point being that Mexicans working NOB, do make more than some realize. It is also important to make my statement in order to understand the "Dream a Little".
With the press on illegals, it will get even better because of the shortage of workers. You don't need minimun wage laws to create higher wages. It is called "supply and demand".
I have witnessed this cycle during my 74 years. First we had the Japanese and Phillipino ag workers, then the "Okies" migrated during the dust bowl era and were hungry and took what work they could for less, then the "Okies" who became unionized, and wages grew. The Bracero program came during the latter part of the "Okie" era, but were usually doing the stoop labor and other work the "Okies" did not want to do for the $ the farmer wanted to pay.Then the the small farm operation were bought out by conglomerates and started bring in a more educated Mexican worker, who was also hungry. Who's next?

sfmacaws

Oct 24, 2006, 9:48 PM

Post #34 of 43 (1219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nfabq] Dream a Little

Norm

Who elected you thread mother? First you start a thread with a title that makes it clear you are only looking for one flavor of response - ie, wouldn't it be wonderful to get rid of all borders in NA. Then you are rude to people who do respond and do the equivelent of rapping their knuckles with a ruler when they stray. Get over it Norm, threads go off in different directions, even the ones you start.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

nfabq

Oct 25, 2006, 1:08 AM

Post #35 of 43 (1205 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Dream a Little

Well, I see you haven't gotten any better at following a discussion.Go back and read the exchanges Ron and I were having.This time pay attention.And when it comes to being rude,I know you know all about that.Go back and read some of your old posts for examples.

Norm

nfabq

Oct 25, 2006, 1:38 AM

Post #36 of 43 (1202 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony] Dream a Little - BIG PICTURE

Tony,let me make myself clear.I wasn't trying to present any kind of proposal of how anything should be.I was merely presenting one framework and asking those(pro or con) who are interested to examine it,discuss it and maybe work out some ideas of how this serious problem could be approached. It doesn't have to stay with the framework I presented,only dream a little about how you would like to see it solved and let the rest of us react to your dreams.How I presented the thread should not be the issue.

I hope I'm clear now.

Norm

sfmacaws

Oct 25, 2006, 10:03 PM

Post #37 of 43 (1119 views)

Shortcut

Oh, I always pay attention Norm. Just in case I missed something I did go back and re-read the thread. I still see it the same way. I think you are condescending towards many of the posters and it reads like a teacher leading a class towards a preordained conclusion, anyone heading in another way is rapped on the knuckles. It's not my idea of a free discourse between adults.

As for me being rude, I'm surprised you think that. I am not overly polite, because I am fairly blunt, but I am not purposely rude and I try to give good information on topics I'm familiar with. Actually, I contribute quite a lot to this forum because I have spent the last 5 years traveling over 50k miles throughout the Republic, I've owned a home in Quintana Roo for 8 or 9 years and I've traveled in Mexico since I was a child. I share this information freely and with the best advice I can give. Even when I disagree with someone's opinion, I try to debate it with some humor and hopefully some good points. It's only when I feel someone is bullying others that I really get irritated, when I feel they are talking down to others - or to me - and not respecting their opinions. You hit all those buttons, perhaps you should go back yourself and re-read the thread and maybe consider what you contribute.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 25, 2006, 11:02 PM

Post #38 of 43 (1110 views)

Shortcut

Norm

Do I really need to repeat myself ??

In the future, please be more precise about your meaning/suggestion/implication. It will make the forum content much clearer rather than turning it into a guessing game about how your mind is working and as to what information you really want.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 PM)

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 25, 2006, 11:16 PM

Post #39 of 43 (1110 views)

Shortcut

Well, I see you haven't gotten any better at following a discussion.Go back and read the exchanges Ron and I were having.This time pay attention.And when it comes to being rude,I know you know all about that.Go back and read some of your old posts for examples.

Norm,
That response was not a good example of showing politeness. I don't think the kettle should call the pot black.
And, this is just an opinion. Not a flame.

nfabq

Oct 25, 2006, 11:54 PM

Post #40 of 43 (1101 views)

Shortcut

Next time I'll write it in Watch Ron Run and maybe then you can get to the issue.

Norm

nfabq

Oct 25, 2006, 11:58 PM

Post #41 of 43 (1102 views)

Shortcut

Right! You could get burned if you play with fire

Norm

Rolly

Oct 26, 2006, 7:08 AM

Post #42 of 43 (1081 views)

Shortcut

Re: Dream a Little

Cool it folks! Take your personal disputes to PMs. The public forum is not the place for this stuff.

Rolly Pirate

db52

Oct 27, 2006, 8:24 AM

Post #43 of 43 (997 views)

Shortcut

If restrictions remained on length-of-stay for tourists and permission to work, etc., then Canadians/Mexicans/Estadounidenses would still need passports and visas and tourist cards and FMTs and so forth, no? So things would not change much for Mexicans planning to visit the US/Canada--they'd still need pre-approval at a consulate. But now, instead of taking care of the paperwork at the border, NOrth American tourists would have to pre-arrange at a NOB Mexican consulate. Or is this not what is being implied with such specificity?

But you'd still need checkpoints and border guards and would still have lines to deal with at crossing points...and still have to check identities...because you can't assume that anybody crossing from Mexico or Canada to US is a Mexican or Canadian...they might be Saudi terrorists! And Canada and Mexico (even if not worried about terrorism, per se) would still, it seems to me, want to check everybody individually in order to make sure they're not carrying firearms, just as they do now.

So my take is that "elimination of borders," given what it would logiocally require, implies a utopian dream-world!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4