H.Teal

Sep 13, 2002, 12:26 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1134 views)

Shortcut

Batteries in carry on luggage

Can't Post |
Last March, departing from the Cancun Airport, my carry-on bag was
searched and several spare batteries were taken. Some were
inexpensive AA's but there were also a couple of expensive spare camera batteries. I noticed (too late) a poster on the wall showing all banned items. Of course, batteries were included (no pun). My question is, I have gone digital ; may I safely bring a battery charger and spare batteries therein? I will be departing at Cozumel this time and wouldn't want to sacrifice them. I travel exclusively with
carry-on so checking a bag would be a last choice. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? Thanks for any comments

Don

Sep 13, 2002, 12:53 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1133 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
 Last year when flying to the U.S. I was asked if I had batteries in my camera that I was carrying on with me. When I told them yes, they asked me to remove them and put them in my check-in luggage. I did as I was told and had no further problems. This was at the Tijuana airport. My flight had started in Guadalajara and I had my batteries in my camera from Guadalajara to Tijuana.

Ernie Gorrie

Sep 13, 2002, 2:16 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1134 views)

Shortcut

Every Story Different

Can't Post |
It seems that this is a subjective process.<p>November 2001, leaving Zihuatanejo, I was permitted to keep a battery on my camcorder. I was required to move the spare batteries into my checked luggage.<p>April 2002, leaving Vancouver for LAX/ZIH, there was no problem having the battery in my camcorder and spare batteries with it.<p>May 2002, leaving ZIH for LAX, I was advised I would have to move my spare battery into my checked luggage. I told them that the battery in the camcorder was almost out of power. They let me take the spare battery onto the plane.<p>May 2002, leaving LAX for YVR, they didn't even question the two batteries.<p>Obviously, your mileage may vary.

John R

Sep 15, 2002, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1133 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
In the days when one could travel to Iraq, the friendly Iraqi security folks at Saddam International would routinely throw out all of the batteries that they could find in your luggage. Jordanians would put them in a little bag and return them at the end of the trip. This is 12-year-old anti-terrorist technology in the Middle East.<p>As with all such general laws, applied to a widespread technology, the application is either laughable or tragic, depending on the circumstance. It is impossible or impossibly onerous.<p>: Last March, departing from the Cancun Airport, my carry-on bag was
: searched and several spare batteries were taken. Some were
: inexpensive AA's but there were also a couple of expensive spare camera batteries. I noticed (too late) a poster on the wall showing all banned items. Of course, batteries were included (no pun). My question is, I have gone digital ; may I safely bring a battery charger and spare batteries therein? I will be departing at Cozumel this time and wouldn't want to sacrifice them. I travel exclusively with
: carry-on so checking a bag would be a last choice. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? Thanks for any comments<p>

RALLEN

Sep 16, 2002, 3:39 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1133 views)

Shortcut

Took them away in DF

Can't Post |
Before 911 I had bataries taken away at DF airport. My thoughts at the time were that the inspector wanted them for herself

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4